Billyjo88

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I live in Boston and say that I see people wearing rubber-soled shoes more often than not. While the terribly snowy conditions can explain this choice during the winter months, I would have to say the ratio of rubber to leather soles do not change with the seasons. Am I alone in thinking that rubber-soled shoes and suits simply don't mix?

Last edited:

Canadian

Not necessarily. If they're Nike sneakers that's one thing. But a pair of Dressports, Clarks, Topsiders, Bostonians are all practical. Remember, if you spend long hours on your feet, leather shoes, which have a long break-in period might not be practical.

That said, last time I was fired I was wearing Rockports. YMMV.

Tom

Marcellionheart

I live in Boston and say that I see people wearing rubber-soled shoes more often than not. While the terribly snowy conditions can explain this choice during the winter months, I would have to say the ratio of rubber to leather soles do not change with the seasons. Am I alone in thinking that rubber-soled shoes and suits simply don't mix?
Rubber soles with a suit:

Yes:

No:

nosajwols

I have a pairs or AEs that technically have rubber soles but they are the same thickness leather soles, they look OK imo. If it has the leather sole look than IMO it is OK, commando soles are a non starter.

My guess is we just have to wait until it becomes common place at Harvard by guys named Chip and Dickie like the OCBD and we are good to go.... :)

hohne1

I wear my Allen Edmonds Executive Collection shoes with suits. It is a rubber sole, but looks just like the leather sole from the side. Even has the stacked leather heel.

Chris

blue suede shoes

Rubber soles with a suit:

Yes:

No:

My thoughts exactly; very well said!! And if I might add that AE makes some very attractive rubber soled shoes in a new line introduced a year or two ago. Like the shoes in these pictures, one would never know that they have rubber soles.

I prefer all leather dress shoes, which I wear 95% of my waking hours. However, I always have my cobbler apply sole protectors whenever I acquire a new pair of shoes. No one can see them, and they are a life saver when one walks on wet cobblestones, a painted curb, or a ceramic tile/marble floor.

Leighton

Marcellionheart is exactly on point. The pictures say more than I was going to say.

Bottom line is: "why not?" Just as makers used the best materials available to them to create the best shoe possible, what makes rubber and its alternatives an inferior material?

Broadus

I'm thinking seriously about adding a pair of AE Van Ness in burgundy to my newly-acquired black Park Avenues. I plan to wear the Van Ness with a suit on occasion but also with a little more casual clothing. And frankly, it's the fault of my brother and this forum. There I had been contentedly wearing my $100 Bostonians or Johnston & Murphys or whatever. My brother in clothing retail points me to Allen-Edmonds, agrees that the Park Avenue is the one to start with, research lands me in this forum where folks buy not one or two or three or even four pairs of quality shoes. If I can out of this and buy no more than three pair of AE's, I will be doing well!

Bill

Matt S

Connoisseur
Marcellionheart is exactly on point. The pictures say more than I was going to say.

Bottom line is: "why not?" Just as makers used the best materials available to them to create the best shoe possible, what makes rubber and its alternatives an inferior material?
In rain, rubber has great traction and keeps dry. In dry weather, the advantage of leather is that it breathes. I also find leather more comfortable since it often has more give and feels lighter.

Orsini

Honors Member
Rubber soles are appropriate for bad weather and your health may require you to compromise. When you do, it is less jarring with a more casual presentation.

And remember, no sharp cuts with leather soles...

Last edited:

Scotch&Cigars

I've been thinking about adding a pair of Van Nesses to my collection, and now that they're on sale, I might have to. Nobody will be able to tell unless they're looking at me from behind and staring at my soles, so I don't really care.

Marcellionheart

That's too nice a shoe to have rubber soles.
To the contrary, you'll find the two models above both have Dainite soles; one is Alfred Sargent, the other C&J. You'll find that EG and JL also make shoes with rubber soles that look nicer than anything AE or Alden has to offer. I find myself walking through rain or snow too often to even bother with leather soles. The only give-away that I'm wearing rubber is that the Dainite sole is slightly thicker than a single leather sole. The only other way someone would notice is if they looked at the bottom of my shoes as I was walking. And, I have to say, if someone bothered to do both that and judge me, that would be some serious OCD there.

Leighton

Do you guys seriously judge people based on the sole of their shoe? And a follow up question, do you really look to see what their sole is made out of? That's pretty shallow, no?

blue suede shoes

Do you guys seriously judge people based on the sole of their shoe? And a follow up question, do you really look to see what their sole is made out of? That's pretty shallow, no?

Yes we do, but there are also plenty of other ways to judge a person, like whether the second hand of their watch travels smoothly or goes second by second (the telltale sign that they are wearing a quartz watch), whether their Rolex is real or fake, whether they are even wearing a watch, what kind of vehicle they drive, or whether they are wearing a button down collar shirt with a tie are just a few.

Sure, a good way to see what their sole is made of is to pretend you are a fitness fanatic in need of stretching and who didn't have time to get a workout in to your busy schedule before the cocktail party. Tell those around you of your dilemma, then drop to the floor and do some push-ups and you'll get a great view of what really matters, the soles of everyone's shoes. The longer you stay down there, the more you will know about the character of the people in the room.

Shallow?? Hmmmmmm... Well, maybe, but we live in a very shallow society. No??

Orsini

Honors Member
To the contrary...
Actually, I do not dispute any of what you say and, of course, our situations are different, but it just is not for Orsini.

I wear rubber sole derbys every day now, but if I got punchcap, it would always be leather sole. For me, that's an interview or life event shoe just below plain captoe.

Last edited:

Wisco

Yes we do, but there are also plenty of other ways to judge a person, like whether the second hand of their watch travels smoothly or goes second by second (the telltale sign that they are wearing a quartz watch), whether their Rolex is real or fake, whether they are even wearing a watch, what kind of vehicle they drive, or whether they are wearing a button down collar shirt with a tie are just a few.

Sure, a good way to see what their sole is made of is to pretend you are a fitness fanatic in need of stretching and who didn't have time to get a workout in to your busy schedule before the cocktail party. Tell those around you of your dilemma, then drop to the floor and do some push-ups and you'll get a great view of what really matters, the soles of everyone's shoes. The longer you stay down there, the more you will know about the character of the people in the room.

Shallow?? Hmmmmmm... Well, maybe, but we live in a very shallow society. No??
Hmmm, where to start. Assuming this post is not tongue-in-cheek... naah, I should just be polite and leave it alone.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange