Searching for Vintage LL Bean Catalogs (preferably PDF)

DriCamp2

(4) The reissued "Mountain Classic Anorak" of 2012-2014 ....

bean%20mtn%20classic%20anorak%202012%20yel_zpsxozlpqqw.jpg

DriCamp2

...I would like to know when LLB discontinued using the cursive script label so I can more accurately date some of my items.

Hey Gamma, I tried. I contacted Laurie Brooks, archivist & SM & PR manager at LLB. I sent her a proposed tag dating scheme *in hopes that* she would at least correct it. Alas, she did not. She said the project was too complicated due to all the various overlapping tags used by the company throughout the years. Here's what she actually wrote:

"Thank you for reaching out to L.L.Bean. We have had so many logos over the years!!! In fact, we have several different logos that are active right now. What you list below is just a fraction. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or resources to dedicate to researching this effort for you. I wish I did -- it sounds like a fun project!"

Any and all readers, please be warned that the following proposed timeline for LLB tags is extremely rough, woefully unresearched, incomplete, and may, in fact, be wholly inaccurate. If you can help refine it, please do!

- Gold LL Bean script on black - 1940s and 1950s?
- Green LL Bean script on white - 1950s through 1970s (two sources say into the 1980s)?
- LL Bean Freeport Maine (block font) - 1980s?
- Sunrise over Katahdin (not a nape tag, but still…) introduced 1987 or 1988.
- LL Bean (block font) - 1990s?
- LL Bean Since 1912 Quality Guaranteed (block font) - 2000s?

Again, the above are WAGs: Wild Ass Guesses. Caveat Emptor and all that. I always feel a little sick when publishing guesswork on the internet. You just KNOW someone will quote it elsewhere as truth.

Last edited:

gamma68

Honors Member
Hey Gamma, I tried. I contacted Laurie Brooks, archivist & SM & PR manager at LLB. I sent her a proposed tag dating scheme *in hopes that* she would at least correct it. Alas, she did not. She said the project was too complicated due to all the various overlapping tags used by the company throughout the years. Here's what she actually wrote:

"Thank you for reaching out to L.L.Bean. We have had so many logos over the years!!! In fact, we have several different logos that are active right now. What you list below is just a fraction. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or resources to dedicate to researching this effort for you. I wish I did -- it sounds like a fun project!"

Any and all readers, please be warned that the following proposed timeline for LLB tags is extremely rough, woefully unresearched, incomplete, and may, in fact, be wholly inaccurate. If you can help refine it, please do!

- Gold LL Bean script on black - 1940s and 1950s?
- Green LL Bean script on white - 1950s through 1970s (two sources say into the 1980s)?
- LL Bean Freeport Maine (block font) - 1980s?
- Sunrise over Katahdin (not a nape tag, but still…) introduced 1987 or 1988.
- LL Bean (block font) - 1990s?
- LL Bean Since 1912 Quality Guaranteed (block font) - 2000s?

Again, the above are WAGs: Wild Ass Guesses. Caveat Emptor and all that. I always feel a little sick when publishing guesswork on the internet. You just KNOW someone will quote it elsewhere as truth.

This is interesting. The block font was in use at least as early as 1982, as shown by the link in the first post of this thread to a scan of a 1982 catalog page.

adoucett

Awesome thread guys. Really enjoying it!

Hi everyone -

I haven't been around to post in a while but I'm one of the founders of the Navyblazer.org website.

We have an entire section we plan to use as an archive of vintage clothing catalogs, including LL Bean.

https://www.navyblazerclub.com/style/the-archives/

We have a couple from LL Bean currently up, and I recently purchased all four seasons of LL Bean 1984 catalogs to scan in full resolution for the site. We will be releasing content here as soon as we can curate it all. Our hope is to maintain one location where anyone interested in this kind of thing can browse and more or less time-travel back through the years for various brands.

I also want to keep an open invitation for articles and writers!

Thanks!

DriCamp2

adoucett said:
I haven't been around to post in a while but I'm one of the founders of the Navyblazer.org website. We have an entire section we plan to use as an archive of vintage clothing catalogs, including LL Bean...

Adoucett, thanks so much for the link! I've sent you a PM in case you want my stash of LLB PDFs, such as they are.

katon said:
Christmas 1983...

Thank you Katon! Christmas '83 now nailed down!

G

Guest-734086

How much was a pair of Birkenstock Arizona sanders in 1993 in an LL Beann catalog? I have abet with my wife....

G

Guest-677196

I have several LLB catalogs, dating as far back as 1927. Are you seeking something in particular?
Does anyone have a summer or spring 2000 catalog? Looking for a friend that lost theirs's whose son was a kid model in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Guest-390642

I have several LLB catalogs, dating as far back as 1927. Are you seeking something in particular?
Hi , I’m looking for a few l.l. Bean catalogs, 1927 spring, 1929 spring, 1930 fall, 1931 spring and 1982 fall. If you can help me out it would be appreciated. Thanks Dennis

drpeter

How much was a pair of Birkenstock Arizona sanders in 1993 in an LL Beann catalog? I have abet with my wife....
This may not help, but my first pair of Birkenstocks (it was the Arizona model) was bought in 1978, and it was $38 plus tax. I bought these at an actual brick-and-mortar shoe shop in Rochester, New York. They were (and still are) the most comfortable sandals I had ever worn, bar some custom-made ones from years earlier. Since then, I have never been without a pair of Birkies, and I often have two or three pairs in reserve, picked up whenever I find a sale!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.