Sharkskin material

mmedici

What do you gentlemen think of sharkskin? Too flashy or is it classy? Was thinking of getting a 2-button sharkskin suit. What colors would you recommend. I have brown/gray hair, brown eyes and olive complexion. I look very Spanish/Italian.
Any advice appreciated.

dwebber18

The majority of the sharkskin suits I have seen have been silver. Most of it has been a bit too shiny for myself as I tend to have a more conservative look. I do however like it and if I could find it not shiny I would definitely think about it. I would say its definitely fashion forward but not too much to make you stick out.

Concordia

Elite Member
There are several that aren't at all glossy. You'll find more of them in the heavier weights.

It can be a pretty conservative choice.

dfloyd

Elite Member
Sharkskin has been around for decades.....

and its fashion forward? I can't believe I read that. I have two three-season sharkskin suits: a plain lt grey and a navy with a barely perceptible rust window pane, neither one of which is shiny or glossy. Too many of you out there are overobssesed with rules and afraid of color. Fashion forward is like BB Black Fleece, certainly not sharkskin.

dwebber18

In reference to my fashion forward comment, I was saying that because of the shiny sharkskin suits that I have seen. I understand there are other types that aren't glossy, but I have yet to see many of them, so I go with what I know. Different looks, colors and styles are great and by no means and I saying the OP shouldn't get it, I'm just not fond of the glossy suits I have seen in sharkskin.

SCsailor

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
J. Press is currently offering a sharkskin windowpane design in its Pressidential line. Must be pretty trad.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
What do you gentlemen think of sharkskin? Too flashy or is it classy? Was thinking of getting a 2-button sharkskin suit. What colors would you recommend. I have brown/gray hair, brown eyes and olive complexion. I look very Spanish/Italian.
Any advice appreciated.

Sharkskin is a classic, and if tailored into a handsome suit that is properly fitted is likely to look good on almost anyone. Light gray is most common and should look good on you, but I've seen some light brown that looked very good too. If you can find navy, that would most likely flatter you also. Can't recall any olive sharkskin, but I think as you turn silver, you'll find it more flattering, particularly if you're tan.

LD111134

I haven't seen sharkskin in these parts - I don't think any of the OTR retailers carry such suits (except, possibly, Syd Jerome in the Loop).

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.