Rosarito

Starting Member
Newbie here. I hope I'm posting this in the right forum.

I love the style of a classic shetland or lambswool sweater with raglan or saddle sleeves and shetland style ribbed hem and cuffs. However, heavier sweaters don't make a lot of sense in Southern California for 98% of the year.

So, I'm looking for recommendations on crewneck sweaters/jumpers in this style but with light or mid-weight fabrics like merino, cotton, cashmere or blends. Or, are there any MTM clothiers who do something like this? I just don't like the typical thin merino crewneck and v-neck "business casual" sweaters that are common in my area and I want something more traditional and elegant than a basic sweatshirt. Here's the extra catch: I wear XS or 35-36 chest.

I found this Tom Ford jumper in cashmere that seems close. I like it. I'd love to find more options like it. Or is this just an odd thing to ask for in the first place?

94845221.png

Cheers!

Last edited:

fred johnson

Uniqlo offers sweaters with similar details (ie. shetland style ribbing on bottom, neck and cuffs) as well as saddle shoulders in lighter weight lambs wool , had two previous ones and just ordered two more as they are currently on sale for $29 or less depending on color. I too like the cuff, neck detailing on Shetland sweaters.

Rosarito

Starting Member
Uniqlo offers sweaters with similar details (ie. shetland style ribbing on bottom, neck and cuffs) as well as saddle shoulders in lighter weight lambs wool , had two previous ones and just ordered two more as they are currently on sale for $29 or less depending on color. I too like the cuff, neck detailing on Shetland sweaters.
Thanks for this. I usually check Uniqlo but didn't see these. Apparently they are clearing them out as I just bought a couple for under ten bucks each.

I'd love some more suggestions from the community if anything comes to mind; perhaps even lighter than lambswool?

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
J.Crew and J.Crew Factory have a few raglan-sleeved crew-neck sweaters in cotton and some in cashmere that might work for you. You're a little late in the season as, from memory, I think they had a bigger selection in the fall. Good luck.

P.S. J.Crew's "small" is 35"-37" chest size based on its size chart. The also have an "XS," but it is 32"-34".

drpeter

I haven't bought anything from Lands' End in years, but they used to have shetland style sweaters in 100% cotton or lambswool with all the features the OP mentioned. The model I have from those days, still functioning well after more than twenty years, was called the Drifter. Some of their shetlands were actually made in Scotland, imagine that! I have no idea if they carry these sweaters now, but it might be worth looking at their website or giving them a call. Their prices were very reasonable. Cotton sweaters might be just right for California weather, unless you are up in the mountains.

Last edited:

Rosarito

Starting Member
Thank you for the suggestions!

I'd check the cotton and lambswool crewnecks on sites like Hunter & Coggins and O'Connell's. The detailing on Le Tricoteur is phenomenal.
Great stuff here. I'm having trouble finding XS but I do see some great styles in lighter fabrics.

J.Crew and J.Crew Factory have a few raglan-sleeved crew-neck sweaters in cotton and some in cashmere that might work for you.
Good call. J. Crew seems to offer what I'm looking for, occasionally. They don't have anything right now but I'm always looking. I found something on eBay with the shetland style details I listed in the OP but due to some errors at the tailor, it turned out too small. My girlfriend wears it now. So close.

I haven't bought anything from Lands' End in years, but they used to have shetland style sweaters in 100% cotton or lambswool with all the features the OP mentioned. The model I have from those days, still functioning well after more than twenty years, was called the Drifter.
Good suggestion. They still have that Drifter in cotton and it looks decent.

Rosarito

Starting Member
O'Connells offers their pima cotton sweaters made in Peru in saddle shoulders and multiple colors. I own this navy one and it is excellent
Sadly, I think I'm just too small for O'Connells. I love the look of those as well as some of the others they offer but they rarely, if ever, seem to offer any XS options.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.