Shirts to go with Nantucket Reds...

Barrister

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Headed downstairs for my date with Mrs. Barrister Saturday evening wearing my new Nanny Reds along with a navy polo, navy emblematic belt and penny loafers sans socks. Imagine my surprise when Mrs. Barrister chuckled and exclaimed "you're not going to wear that shirt with those pants...are you!?" Now, Mrs. Barrister is from pretty trad old family, but she and I were raised in the South where reds probably aren't as common, so I'm thinking maybe she was just failing to appreciate her dear old husband's sartorial wisdom. After a mint julep on the terrace prior to meeting our friends for dinner, I had second thoughts, chickened out and changed into a white polo. Mrs. Barrister seemed to find this preferrable, and I was completely comfortable wearing it. However, I'm concerned that I'll be stuck wearing white OCBD and polos with these pants all summer and I'm hoping someone on here will tell me I was ok to begin with. Dr. Allen, prescribe something for my color emergency!

Making room in the closet for new white shirts,
Barrister

Last edited:

Intrepid

Not Dr Allen

Barrister said:
Headed downstairs for my date with Mrs. Barrister Saturday evening wearing my new Nanny Reds along with a navy polo, navy emblematic belt and penny loafers sans socks. Imagine my surprise when Mrs. Barrister chuckled and exclaimed "you're not going to wear that shirt with those pants...are you!?" Now, Mrs. Barrister is from pretty trad old family, but she and I were raised in the South where reds probably aren't as common, so I'm thinking maybe she was just failing to appreciate her dear old husband's sartorial wisdom. After a mint julep on the terrace prior to meeting our friends for dinner, I had second thoughts, chickened out and changed into a white polo. Mrs. Barrister seemed to find this preferrable, and I was completely comfortable wearing it. However, I'm concerned that I'll be stuck wearing white OCBD and polos with these pants all summer and I'm hoping someone on here will tell me I was ok to begin with. Dr. Allen, proscribe something for my color emergency!

Making room in the closet for new white shirts,
Barrister
I'm sure that Dr Allen will have a better Rx, but I would vote for, white polo, blue oxford BD, and I don't see anything wrong with the navy polo. Some madras look ok, depending on the predominate color. I've got a Mercer blue check that Mrs B may approve of.

For some reason, the white OCBD looks a little awkward. A dress shirt, with very casual trousers.

We'll just have to wait to hear from Bristol, to be certain.

tripreed

Elite Member
Personally, I tend to stick with white or blue OCBDs or white and navy polo shirts. As pointed out, yellow OCBD might look nice too, perhaps a blue candy stipe as well?

msh14

The navy polo would definitely work as well as plenty of other oxfords (white, blue, yellow, green perhaps). Polos in the aforementioned colors would be fine. Also a university stripe button down, gingham check, as I think about it there are plenty...

Topsider

Honors Member
Intrepid said:
For some reason, the white OCBD looks a little awkward. A dress shirt, with very casual trousers.

The casual look demands a heavy oxford cloth, not pinpoint. Wear it wrinkled, with the sleeves rolled up to your elbows. Loafers, no socks. Voila. ;)

A.Squire

Honors Member
I’d say you were okay with the navy polo. And I’ll second Intrepid’s post regarding the blue ocbd and white polo.
Personally, I like a well wrinkled white oxford or even a wispy looking old broadcloth. OCBD with a bow and the broadcloth without, maybe even two turns of the sleeve.

I’ve worn a blue gingham check with madras bow before as well.

And you know what else, just about any combination of the navy, red and white polos would look good, new or older and washed out. I don’t do this much, but would.

Whatever you decide to wear, when someone questions it or says something negative you have to remember to come back quick with “you’re damn right, bad ain’t it?”
Not to your wife of course, but for everyone else. Still, think it though, even with her.

(sorry, I thought I sent this earlier)

Allen

boatshoes

When I saw the subject, the first thing that I thought of was a navy polo. I have to second that the white OCBD doesn't look right.

Barrister

Thanks guys...

I appreciate the advice. It's good to know I was on the right track to begin with.

familyman

I tend to stick to red or blue OCBD's or polos. I'm alredy wearing red pants, not a real big need to do something fancy with my shirt.

jmorgan32

Suspended
Allen said:
Wow, Familyman! A red OCBD! Now that would be bold with those pink pants.
Nice! (wink) (sure he meant white)

I mean Allen

The doc proofreads. (would we expect any different?) Allen, seriously, I know you don't want to share a pic of your closet. Can you just provide a basic description..........like 3 walls, walk in with 12 feet of bar on each....packed to the hilt. It has to be........ I have never seen any man with more clothing. You win. Uncle..............

familyman

Allen said:
Wow, Familyman! A red OCBD! Now that would be bold with those pink pants.
Nice! (wink) (sure he meant white)

I mean Allen

Bah! Stupid proof reading! Who needs it?
Ok, it was supposed to be white OCBD.

dpihl

Dittohead

Always wore white OCBDs with mine too. Coarse weave is more of a casual look (as has been pointed out), and the sockless look also reinforces that. Ditto for rolling up the sleeves, and/or wearing a bow tie. I always wore D-ring belts, and ribbon watch bands to drive the point home that this was not a "dress shirt".

Lastly, I vote for top siders over weejuns. I've seen weejuns look really good with blazer and tie, and even infrequently with a suit. Top siders never look good with business attire, so they really enhance the casual nature of the look.

Like others mentioned, I've always wondered about finding the right red and white candystripe OCBD, or the right Madras blazer. Probably have to wear your pants with you as you shop, so mail order would be out of the question.

It's a wonder that Murray's hasn't thought about this question, and begun offering co-ordinates that are guaranteed to look good with Nantucket Reds don't you think? :idea:

Seriously, look at the names of people who have posted on this thread.

Except for myself, every one of them is a sartirial genius. None of them are color challenged, or afraid to try something tricky and adventuresome (at least not in their off hours). If we clothes horses have all had trouble with Nantucket Reds, what is the timid man supposed to do? :crazy:

Settle for Khaki I suppose. . .

Intrepid

Women's opinion on men's clothing

vwguy said:
To my a navy polo is a no brainer, I wonder why she thought it didn't look well together?

Brian
Mrs B, may be an exception, but most women don't know squat about men's clothing. When you see a guy that is poorly dressed it is usually:
a. He' single,and doesn't know any better, or
b. His wife picks out his stuff.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange