The Shabby Professor

Starting Member
My feet are illegal under the Geneva Conventions. I had some Birkenstock sandals a few years ago, and when I took them in for their version of recrafting, the saleswoman said she'd never seen the cork turn completely black.

However, I've just taken the plunge and bought some AE McAllisters, which are in the post as we speak, and I don't want them to die a horrible, rotting death, so I'm looking for suggestions.

These are the things I know:

I know to rotate them, I'll have three pair of dress shoes once they come in, and my job doesn't require that I dress up, so there's plenty of other footwear in rotation.

I know to always use a shoehorn to avoid wear on the edges of the foot opening and prevent smashing down the rear of the shoe.

I've got some cedar shoe trees, and I know those go in when the shoes come off.

Any other suggestions for keeping the inside of the shoes from too much damage? In my pay grade, AEs are a fairly substantial investment, so I want to keep them in as good a condition for as long as I can.

Thanks in advance.

-val

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
The only thing I would add to those actions you have already mentioned is...'always wear socks with your good shoes!' Doing so will reduce the potential the potential for sweat, dead skin cell, etc. to create additional wear on the interior of your shoes. Enjoy those new McAllisters and may you long wear them and only in good health! ;)

Theoden

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
My feet are illegal under the Geneva Conventions. I had some Birkenstock sandals a few years ago, and when I took them in for their version of recrafting, the saleswoman said she'd never seen the cork turn completely black.

However, I've just taken the plunge and bought some AE McAllisters, which are in the post as we speak, and I don't want them to die a horrible, rotting death, so I'm looking for suggestions.

These are the things I know:

I know to rotate them, I'll have three pair of dress shoes once they come in, and my job doesn't require that I dress up, so there's plenty of other footwear in rotation.

I know to always use a shoehorn to avoid wear on the edges of the foot opening and prevent smashing down the rear of the shoe.

I've got some cedar shoe trees, and I know those go in when the shoes come off.

Any other suggestions for keeping the inside of the shoes from too much damage? In my pay grade, AEs are a fairly substantial investment, so I want to keep them in as good a condition for as long as I can.

Thanks in advance.

-val
I think you've got it covered:

1. Rotate them. With three pairs of dress shoes and others, you probably will only wear these once a week, or less.

2. Get a new pair of cedar shoe trees and use them with your AE shoes, in fact, get them for all your shoes.

3. Wear cotton socks.

4. Monitor the wear on your shoes, if it helps, get foot powder if you notice something getting funky.

5. See a podiatrist to check if you don't have foot fungus, athlete's foot, etc.

Enjoy them.

The Shabby Professor

Starting Member
Thanks for the helpful advice given by those genuinely interested in helping. As for certain others, if I needed your sort of flip and insulting "advice", I'd head over to Reddit.

Tempest

Honors Member
I recall reading lots on here of people's underarm perspiration and collar stains, and of course that one thread on urine stains in thrifted trousers. I fail to see how this topic is beyond the pale.
Honestly I'm still hoping to figure out what the exact issue is. So far the symptom is discoloration, and I'm left assuming some combination of moisture and bacteria is to blame.
Anyway, wool wicks, cotton absorbs.

Acct2000

Connoisseur - Moderator
A number of responses here are crossing the line.

Big one: If you are not a moderator, REPORT, do not moderate!!

I, for one, do consider this a legitimate discussion; there are a few people with nasty feet that do defy normal hygiene.

Please don't throw any more insults around. This means everyone.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.