goplutus

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Any one have a particularly good or bad experience w/ a particular make of shoe rack? Anything to look out for?

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I am most happy with the shoe shelves/racks that I designed into the "do-it-yourself(myself) customization of the bedroom closets in our home. The shelves in my closet accommodate perhaps 30 pair of shoes, almost half of my collection! :eek: Such a project really is not all that difficult and can be a lot of fun!

Bjorn

I am most happy with the shoe shelves/racks that I designed into the "do-it-yourself(myself) customization of the bedroom closets in our home. The shelves in my closet accommodate perhaps 30 pair of shoes, almost half of my collection! :eek: Such a project really is not all that difficult and can be a lot of fun!
Pictures?

medhat

Costco has some nice Bamboo 3 shelf shoe racks right now, I got 2 last year.
I use these too in my mudroom (they're good looking enough to be in the open, and they stack to boot - no pun intended). In my closet I use one of those cloth racks I got at Target that hang from the bar where I hang shirts. I've got tall enough (~ 6') clearance to unfold completely, and I think it holds 8-10 pairs of shoes, which I keep in shoe trees and place in the slots sole-to-sole, which keeps dirt and stuff from soiling the bottoms of each slot. Works for me.

Bjorn

^^
LOL. If only I could unravel the seemingly insurmountable complexities of posting pics. At my age, it seems new tech skills do not come easily to me! :eek:
I've solved that by only going on the forum from the Tapatalk app on my iPhone or iPad. :)

Then, taking and posting pictures is easy...

dkoernert

Last edited:

Titus_A

I use these (from jos a bank) as well. They work well enough for the $8 a piece I spent on them, but they aren't very high. When stacked, it can be difficult to get "taller" shoes in that small space. They are also VERY easy to break. I'd probably avoid these, attractive as the price may be.
I haven't had a problem with fragility, but they are very short: you can't stack them very easily. But it would not be hard to make a spacer: just a narrow piece of wood with holes drilled for the pins on either side.

dkoernert

I haven't had a problem with fragility, but they are very short: you can't stack them very easily. But it would not be hard to make a spacer: just a narrow piece of wood with holes drilled for the pins on either side.
I didn't even think of that. That would make them MUCH better. The problem I had with fragility was the little pins on the ends of the shelf pieces that insert into the sides of the stand. I broke a couple of those off trying to force them in.

mhj

I'm bring up this old topic as I've had two shoe racks collapse on me recently. They were from Amazon in $20-30 range. I have about 20 pairs of leather dress shoes which are fairly heavy, these racks were advertised as having a capacity of 20 shoes, maybe for my wife's size 6 shoes but not my 12Ds.

I'm looking for something sturdier and can go up in price but not too high. The Woodlore racks are nice but I need too many to be economical.

Any suggestions? I don't see anything in the archive.

vonSuess

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Store Supply Warehouse and no doubt others online selling racks and fixtures for the retail trade. Inexpensive enough and seem to last forever...

Rosarito

Starting Member
I'm bring up this old topic as I've had two shoe racks collapse on me recently. They were from Amazon in $20-30 range.
This might be exactly what already failed on you so perhaps I am not helping here but... I've been using two of these Whitmor 3 tier expandable racks stacked in my closet below the shirts (see photo) and they've been pretty solid for about five years so far. They are still on Amazon for about $25 each. It was the only solution I could find that would fit perfectly in this space. I removed the top tier and they are collapsed to the smallest width. So, if expanded, and with the top tier, they could fit more shoes than this.

IMG_5336.jpeg

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
This might be exactly what already failed on you so perhaps I am not helping here but... I've been using two of these Whitmor 3 tier expandable racks stacked in my closet below the shirts (see photo) and they've been pretty solid for about five years so far. They are still on Amazon for about $25 each. It was the only solution I could find that would fit perfectly in this space. I removed the top tier and they are collapsed to the smallest width. So, if expanded, and with the top tier, they could fit more shoes than this.

View attachment 54747
Did you install the closet system yourself. Back in our Hoosierville home, I bought lumber and customized all the bedroom closets in the house and intended to do the other closets in the house, but never got around to it. I think it was the design challenges that stopped me? :(;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur

View attachment 54747
That is a handsome closet. Is closet-envy a thing? If so, I believe I have it.

Rosarito

Starting Member
Did you install the closet system yourself. Back in our Hoosierville home, I bought lumber and customized all the bedroom closets in the house and intended to do the other closets in the house, but never got around to it. I think it was the design challenges that stopped me? :(;)
Fortunately, that closet system was already installed when I moved in. I wanted to find a shoe solution that would work in the space that was provided while keeping a nice clean look. Those Amazon/Whitmor racks worked perfectly, with a little modification.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals