Show us your favorite Harris Tweed items

Monocle

It's a slow day, and a "snow" day, so tweedy types be warned:

2 vintage tweeds recently acquired, an Anderson-Little green, and an unknown in a rich brown houndstooth. Both 3/2's

Also sharing a few more pictures of my prize thrifted tweed country blanket. I've been examining this thing for months, and my be on the verge of finding more of an expert who might be able to tell me more about it. Almost every patch is different and it is indeed a hodge podge of tweeds and fabrics. I just don't see these types of fabric around these parts. And tweeds still come in every imaginable style and weave, so I don't rely on that alone. The backing is some kind of cotton flannel, and two different colors were used, pieced together. The stitching is quite likely hand done on the patches, and then the blanket finished off with electric machine. But even the threads used to finish and bolster the entire blanket are of differing colors and at very random intervals without too much concern for symmetry. The blanket is altogether quite asymmetrical. There are many small flaws from wear and tear. I love it. Pardon it not being "clothing". I know of at least two gentlemen who will appreciate the collage. I hope you enjoy. I plan on going back to the source of this find very soon to see if I can snag some more fibrous bargains. :rolleyes2:
DSCN3311_zpstjbrvug1.jpg
[/URL]

SlideGuitarist

Elite Member
When you take a very close look at Harris Tweed, you enter another world. Cloth from a vintage Van Boven of Detroit/Ann Arbor HT that I sold on the Thrift Exchange a while back...
Well put, Gamma! I hope that wasn't a 44, because you didn't sell it to me...

I was very pleased with this jacket when I got it from TweedyDon, though I'll have to have the shoulders reduced some time, per Gamma's example. It's a rather purplish brown, like chocolate fondue with red wine, on a gray ground, shot through with green, blue, and the occasional orange. I'm thrilled to wear a purple jacket! But I can see that it's nowhere near some of the masterpieces of the weaver's art shown here. My tailor showed me a swatch book from Harrison's of Edinburgh yesterday...I may have drooled on myself.

I used as much natural lighting as is available today, with no flash, but my Android still washed this out slightly:

Monocle

^^ That blanket is fantastic, Monocle. Is it large enough to function as a bedspread?

I have a King size bed. And i do, in fact use it as a throw at the foot of the bed. I think it would be about the size of a Full mattress, further leading me to believe it was created for what would have been considered a "normal" size bed years ago. I am guessing it to be at least 70 years old, and 100 dead sport coats

Reuben

Honors Member
I have a King size bed. And i do, in fact use it as a throw at the foot of the bed. I think it would be about the size of a Full mattress, further leading me to believe it was created for what would have been considered a "normal" size bed years ago. I am guessing it to be at least 70 years old, and 100 dead sport coats

I'm slowly accumulating damaged or poorly cut harris tweeds and worn-out OCBDs from the thrifts, I hope to eventually have enough stashed away to get something like this done for me.

SlideGuitarist

Elite Member
Anyone ever try these guys out--https://www.tweedmansvintage.co.uk/? How they manage never to have a 44L is a mystery to me.

Gamma, the (actually not so) simple brown and gray herringbones are lovely. The gray in particular is stunning: the close-up seems to show the oil in the wool. If that's the jacket you selected for the pink+tweed challenge, good choice.

G30rg3!, you should really post a selfie sometime! I think you got some grief a while back for favoring Chucks, but I'd like to see how you do the the young man-about-town-look with classic tweeds. I may be the only person in my entire office building who wears tweed, but maybe it's just more common in England.

Nobleprofessor

I don't know if I should have posted this in Thrift store brags or here.

I found this new HT a month ago, I hung it in the hall closet and forgot it. UNFORTUNATELY, too small for me.

Ekphrastic

That quilt is awesome--I'm thinking that it may actually have some academic value, like the quilt in "Everyday Use," the short story by Alice Walker.

katch

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Question for the group. Would you say that if a jacket is Harris Tweed the maker is less important because it has the "stamp of approval" by having the Harris Tweed patch inside?

gamma68

Honors Member
Question for the group. Would you say that if a jacket is Harris Tweed the maker is less important because it has the "stamp of approval" by having the Harris Tweed patch inside?

I'd say the marker is just as important. The Orb label reflects the high quality of the cloth. But the cut and construction is still dependent on the maker.

Natty Beau

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange