bwep

Received a gift of pocket squares from Venanzi at the recommendation of a tailor-friend. I must say that the fabric is sublime. The patterns and colors are out of this world. I will try to post pics soon. These are truly some of the most beautiful pocket squares that I have seen. My friend in Chi-town was correct in his review. S-G is a French company that weaves only squares. Their wears can be found at Venanzi and formerly Sulka.

While I have not had the good fortune of visiting Venanzi, the store, in person, I am told that it is an incredibly unique house of style. Mr Venanzi actually phoned to see what I thought of my recent presents. I cannot wait to see what else he wants to show me...

Smooth Jazz

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
These are the best cotton squares around (Hermes has some nice cotton squares sometimes). They are available at Venanzi, Flusser, Jay Kos (sometimes), Turnbull, Paul Stuart, BG and several others.

jazzy1

Received a gift of pocket squares from Venanzi at the recommendation of a tailor-friend. I must say that the fabric is sublime. The patterns and colors are out of this world. I will try to post pics soon. These are truly some of the most beautiful pocket squares that I have seen. My friend in Chi-town was correct in his review. S-G is a French company that weaves only squares. Their wears can be found at Venanzi and formerly Sulka.

While I have not had the good fortune of visiting Venanzi, the store, in person, I am told that it is an incredibly unique house of style. Mr Venanzi actually phoned to see what I thought of my recent presents. I cannot wait to see what else he wants to show me...
Any place to see pics of them?

Kent Wang

Proper spelling: Simonnot-Godard.

How would you describe their fabric, compared to say, shirting fabrics from Acorn, etc.? How thin are they, e.g. 120's? Do they weave their own cotton in France or is it commissioned?

Some people have the impression that cotton is inferior to silk and linen. I am glad that they are convincing people otherwise. Really, I find linen a bit too stiff, and cotton is available in a much wider array of prints and woven patterns.

bwep

I am sorry for the misspelling. I was under the impression that all they did was weave fabric for squares. I guess I was wrong. I was also under the impression that they do all their own weaving. Very old company.

jcriswel

Where is the store?

bwep,

Sorry... you said that you haven't had an opportunity to visit the Venanzi store. Where is the store located? Chicago? I think your tailor friend lives in Chicago - doesn't he?

Thanks,

jcriswel

Smooth Jazz

Turnbull carries their voiles -- Alex made the ones I have.

Salvatore Piccollo carries the chambray (as an aside, would not recommend Salvatore -- he is not particularly good at fitting -- it was my handmade shirt experiement -- and the shirts were not even 100% handmade).

SJ

Where did you get their shirts. I love Chambray.

CPATAILOR

Starting Member
Have several of their shirts -- truly special and spectacular. Just recently ordered my first Chambray -- should show up shortly.
Smooth Jazz,

Does Alex have samples of the full line (colors available) of this makers' chambray fabric? Thanks.

BTW, I just received an Irish Linen shirt by Alex that is mighty nice.

jcriswel

Bought one and didn't know it

I actually went to Barney's of New York in Dallas in March looking for pocket squares. They had a Simonnot-Godard pocket square and I bought it without knowing anything about the maker of the pocket square -- it looked good so I bought it. Since I have had some reservations about my purchase. First, it was too big: 19" X 17 1/2". Second, as you can see from the dimension, it was NOT square. I gave up on it this weekend and took it back to Barney's. They graciously accpeted my return and I purchased three shirts and a belt while I was there. I'm sure it worked out to everyone's benefit.

My point is, even though the PS is from a fabulous overseas artisan, it does not mean it will work for you. I made that mistake. I tried them because I wanted a linen PS with blue edges. It turned out that it was too big and was not square. I guess all is well that turns out well.

Thanks,

John

Will

Honors Member
18" is probably the ideal diameter for silk but too big for cotton or linen. Even ironed, the bulk of a folded 18" linen square is bulky in the pocket.

Dashing1

Those are some amazing squares! I would love to see/feel some, but am afraid I am not near a retailer.

Fortunately, my pocket square lust has been satisfied for a couple of days, as I received new Kent Wang squares yesterday. I really like the expanded line he's offering.

I'd love to have some of the Simonot-Godard offerings, yet my KWs will delight me for the forseeable future (and at much-easier-to-justify-to-my-wife price-point than the S-Gs)!

RJman

Advanced Member
Having picked up two S-G squares over the weekend from the French Alan Flusser, Marc Guyot, I can say that they really are very handsome. Marc confirmed my hypothesis that certain of the linen squares at Charvet are also S-G. The linen or linen-cotton mix squares are extremely fine, without the bulk which made my BB linen squares so hefty to fold. S-G also does a fine cotton madras print in a number of patterns on the same square for variety. The hand-rolled edges are discreet and well done. How much does Venanzi want for them in the States? In Freedom I only paid about double the price of one of Mr. Kent Wang's estimable squares.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.