Six or less--I dare you.

Larsd4

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/22/fashion/22SIXERS.html?src=me&ref=homepage

Here's the experiment. Pick six items of clothing. That's all you can wear for a month. I'm starting today. My choices?

3 white BB OCBD's
3 pair Bills Khakis. Two have 1-3/4" cuff. One has 2" cuff for variety.

Actually, here are my real choices (not much different than my joke above).

Blue BB OCBD.
White LaCoste tennis shirt
White BB OCBD

Bill's Khakis (1-3/4" cuff just to be precise)
khaki shorts
Raw Levis 501's (my sentimental favorite with not much heft on this forum)

I wonder if anyone will even notice.

Dragoon

I've gone for years without much more than six items. Need five shirts to avoid having to do laundry during the week. Five light blue OCBD shirts two or three pairs of khakis.

phyrpowr

Honors Member
Since I'm retired, and usually hang out at a coffee shop reading history (okay and crappy spy novels too) I can get by with four polos and two pairs of shorts, easily.

Cruiser

Connoisseur
About 40 years ago I went for three years with a complete wardrobe (excluding underwear and socks) of two pairs of jeans, four or five shirts, and a pair of Converse All-Stars. For cold or inclement weather I had the raincoat, pea coat, and field jacket that I brought home from the service and a Levis denim jacket. Being a hippie college student at the time I could probably have gotten by with less.

I realize that this is more than six items, but considering that these were the only items of clothing in my closet for three years makes it even more remarkable.

Cruiser

harvey_birdman

I don't see the point in this. It seems an exercise in "attention whoring" that won't accomplish anything.

with motives including a way to trim back on spending, an outright rejection of fashion, and a concern that the mass production and global transportation of increasingly cheap clothing was damaging the environment.

So stop buying crap. The articles of clothing from the news story -

Brennan made do with the following: a black blazer and pants from H & M; two button-down shirts, one black and one pink; a pair of Old Navy jeans; and one well-worn pink T-shirt.

That's all garbage made in the third world. Just buying less garbage doesn't make you a more noble person, it just means you buy less garbage. Buy fewer items of better quality.

phyrpowr

Honors Member
Since I'm retired, and usually hang out at a coffee shop reading history (okay and crappy spy novels too) I can get by with four polos and two pairs of shorts, easily.

I don't actually do this, I usually wear khakis or shorts, and rotate through five pairs of shoes, about 20 shirts, and in cooler weather, seven wool or tweed coats, and flannels...it's just that in Charlotte in the summer, I could

Last edited:

bd79cc

1 pair khaki-colored cotton socks,
1 pair LHS, Brooks in Color #8 or 986,
1 pair Khaki pants, Brooks permanent press, no cuffs or pleats,
1 belt, Brooks burgundy strap with smooth Tiffany buckle or Leather Man emblematic,
1 light blue Brooks OCBD, must-iron type, regular fit,
1 pair boxer shorts from Walmart.

This is a Wash and Wear wardrobe: Wash by night, Wear by day.

Lars4, either one of us could do this for 6 months and no one would notice!

Dingo McPhee

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
The six item limit as given in the experiment does not include shoes, undergarments, accessories, uniforms and outerwear. I think it also does not include multiples of the same item (five white OCBDs would be one item). And you wear them for one full month. Full details at sixitemsorless.com.

So you could mix it up with ties, belts, shoes, cufflinks, socks.

bd79cc

Dingo, I was pointing out that the experiment was very easy for someone from the Forum to carry out, even if carried to an extreme. Recall that the challenge includes "or less."

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange