Social Class

Rich

quote:Originally posted by GentleCheetah

quote:Originally posted by Rich

Very informative. Probably applies to most countries, at least in the West, possibly nearly everywhere.

What is interesting though is the discrepancy between this objective analysis and how people subjectively perceive their own class affiliation and that of others, and how ideology can try to distort the reality be denying the existence of certain classes, or even of all classes.

The idea of a "classless" society crops up every now and then in political discourse (e.g. in the UK). The idea of the US being a vast "middle class" often appears in the media. The underclass gets swept under the carpet, and the upper classes, which pull all the strings, are also hidden from view (discretion).

The result is that individual perceptions of class are extremely variable and often surprising.

You pointed out that this study was quite objective. Now come to think about it, it is indeed much less emotional and self-serving than Fussell's book. For one thing, the author doesn't exhibit strong likes and dislikes of any particular class.

The Gentle Cheetah

Maybe it would be more accurate to say that the study strives to be objective, though class is such an elusive thing that it is probably impossible to make a truly objective breakdown.

The only objective, quantifiable component of class is wealth. All the others - prestige, power,lineage, etc. are subjective and controversial. Even wealth is tricky because different sorts of wealth might have to be weighted differently to get an accurate picture.

Interesting that something so all-pervading should be so difficult to pin down.

tiger02

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
quote:Originally posted by Wayfarer

However, as models go, it is very workable.
With $50 mil on the way, even Ms Hilton is a workable model ;)

--------------------
Death is...whimsical...today

Martinis at 8

quote:Originally posted by JRR
...Bobos are upper middle. They are strivers, so they are middle...

Anyone here ever see the movie, The Bobo, with Peter Sellers and Britt Eklund? :D

Are there any links left to that Paris Hilton bedroom video? I missed the brouhaha over it, and would like to see it ;)

M8

Currently posting from Angola

GentleCheetah

quote:Originally posted by Martinis at 8

quote:Originally posted by JRR
...Bobos are upper middle. They are strivers, so they are middle...

Anyone here ever see the movie, The Bobo, with Peter Sellers and Britt Eklund? :D

Are there any links left to that Paris Hilton bedroom video? I missed the brouhaha over it, and would like to see it ;)

M8

Currently posting from Angola

Did you know that P.H. did an extensive face life? Her pre-life look was, well, very very ordinary, nothing to write home about. How she's got good chin and jaw.

The Gentle Cheetah

Kav

Inactive user
Sociologists, trained or Lay are nothing less than anthropologists with their brains kicked out. There are classes, true. But CLASS cannot be bought or inherited. And a goodly number of people subscribe to the two class theory as told by Utah Jack Phillips, " If you work for somebody else, you're working class."

non-mobility is a relief

Why are we so preoccupied with fitting people of people into categories and groups?
Unfortunately once you are aware of the differences within the structure, automatic classification is inescapable.

However, knowledge relieves (or at least explains) some anxieties. As a child it perpetually frustrated me that cruder people seemed to enjoy a better standard of living. I assumed my parents were cheap, or that we were actually poorer. It took Fussell to explain that high-proles (lower-middle here) spend inordinately on things like home entertainment and I finally understood.

Understanding class is like understanding genetics: you can't change your own, but now you know why you're like that (and unlike others) and how best to cope.

trentblase

Interesting read... I've been trying to reason out the parentage issue myself. I guess one question is, if you're an upper-middle, do you WANT to breed an upper-upper? Also, this was illuminating: "Non-working class folks frequently find themselves instinctively saying "Fine, thanks, and you?" when a laborer greets them with "How's it going?". If true, this totally explains the awkward silences that ensue after I reply to another's "how's it going?". Does the part about "How do you do" still apply? People just say "How do you do?" "How do you do?" and nobody tells anyone how they are doing? MADNESS!

VS

Maybe it would be more accurate to say that the study strives to be objective, though class is such an elusive thing that it is probably impossible to make a truly objective breakdown.

The only objective, quantifiable component of class is wealth. All the others - prestige, power,lineage, etc. are subjective and controversial. Even wealth is tricky because different sorts of wealth might have to be weighted differently to get an accurate picture.

I don't think it is wealth. I think "class status" is determined through culture and outlook.

I think I read Bobos in Paradise. Weren't the Bobos basically wealthy yuppies who buy organic cotton t-shirts from the Sundance Catalog?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.