Socks with clocks?

wgb

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Not to sound Like Dr. Seuss, but does anyone make dress socks with "clocks" anymore? I really like the look of a red or burgundy clock with navy or dark gray hose, but I haven't seen any to buy for quite a while.

Orgetorix

Honors Member
A clock is like a thin stripe up the side with a design thingy at the top.

Like the circled one here:

shoes6copy6ol-Copy.jpg

StephenRG

Honors Member
From The Nightmare Song from Gilbert & Sullivan's Iolanthe:

But this you can't stand, so you throw up your hand, and you find you're as cold as an icicle,
In your shirt and your socks (the black silk with gold clocks), crossing Salisbury Plain on a bicycle:

Innovan

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
The earlier version of clocks on socks was embroidery.

It appears that after sock knitting machines started to be sold as a home based industry for those looking to raise a bit of extra money on the side, the hand embroidered clock was appreciated as a non-machine knitted touch.

Until someone else started to market a sock knitting machine that could also do clocks by machine as well. :icon_smile_wink:

manton

Arbiter CBDum
A true clock is not just a stripe down the side of the calf, but it then turns to follow the length of the foot. Hence the term "clock," since the two stripes look like the hands on a clock.

Socks with stripes down the side are not impossible to find, though they are getting rarer. True clocks, I have not seen in years. Flusser used to get them from some small supplier in France. The clocks were actually hand embroidered. All mine are gone now, and he told me a long time ago that the maker went out of business.

Last edited:

Scoundrel

Elite Member
Until reading this thread, I didn't even know I was wearing some.

Wool bluish-gray socks with red and yellow clocks

They are by RLPL

Question: do they count as a "pattern?"

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange