NoviceTraveler

Starting Member
I read that you should wear socks that match your slacks. So I guess kakhi socks or tan socks would be the choice for kahki's? What color socks would you wear with blue-jeans?

TKI67

Advanced Member
With jeans, no socks unless wearing boots. Sockless Sperrys, LHS, or sneakers.

With khakis, if ironed, navy, dark grey, argyles, or fun and bright colors, depending on mood and setting. If not ironed, same as jeans.

Tan socks always seemed useless to me, other than when there were khaki uniforms in the USN.

White socks are, for me, reserved for western boots or athletic shoes.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
With jeans, no socks unless wearing boots. Sockless Sperrys, LHS, or sneakers.

With khakis, if ironed, navy, dark grey, argyles, or fun and bright colors, depending on mood and setting. If not ironed, same as jeans.

Tan socks always seemed useless to me, other than when there were khaki uniforms in the USN.

White socks are, for me, reserved for western boots or athletic shoes.
I agree with everything you say, short of the no socks comment. If I were to go outside of the nest without socks on my feet, my late Sainted mother would reach out from the grave, grab me by the ears and say, "read my lips...put on some socks" and right there beside her would be my old TI (the USAF version of a drill instructor) shouting, "Your military mamma and papa are not pleased with with dress...put on some socks, NOW!" Jeez Louise, if I were to leave the house without socks, I might have some kind of emotional breakdown! LOL. ;)

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I agree with everything you say, short of the no socks comment. If I were to go outside of the nest without socks on my feet, my late Sainted mother would reach out from the grave, grab me by the ears and say, "read my lips...put on some socks" and right there beside her would be my old TI (the USAF version of a drill instructor) shouting, "Your military mamma and papa are not pleased with with dress...put on some socks, NOW!" Jeez Louise, if I were to leave the house without socks, I might have some kind of emotional breakdown! LOL. ;)
Yeah, I've occasionally gone sockless with my boat shoes, (leather). But, generally not a fan both from the comfort perspective and aesthetics. Do tend to wear very ankle socks in the summer though

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
At some point along the way I realized that jeans look best with boots: solves the sock problem!

(Well, boot socks. I like Darn Tough boot socks.)

DH
I only have 1 pair of boots-relatively new chukkas-and certainly like them better with jeans than any other shoes I own.

Redafan

Starting Member
As I grew older and my wardrobe changed (leaving the corporate world and into self employment) I gradually distanced myself from socks once the warmer weather hit, and that includes when wearing jeans or a nice pair of cotton slacks. The one rule I do have is that if ever in a suit, socks are mandatory.

Which by the way is another thing that absolutely grinds my gears, how men will wear a suit and dress shoes with no socks. I don't care how fashion forward it is, suits need socks. Period.

TKI67

Advanced Member
Regarding going sockless, I think some of it, at least for me, was that it was a stupid thing I did as a kid, and it stuck.

It's late and getting dark, you have come in from the athletic fields and taken your shower, and you are throwing yourself together to go to dinner. Sliding into your Weejuns sans socks is worth the risk of one demerit. By the time summer rolls around it has become comfortable, so it's sockless Weejuns and Madras shorts. A decade later Sperrys catch on, and it works even better with them. Nowadays I wear Quoddys a lot, and I really cannot imagine putting on socks first.

Other silly things that's stuck are Levis and popped collars on polos. Levis do not make sense, because they are not really as comfortable as ACK reds or khakis, but I still wear my 501s, especially with boots. Popped collars are simply the result of hasty dressing, and I rarely even notice them.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.