grooming Some Background Info on No. 4 Shaving Soap

OPROCo

Andy has been gracious enough to allow me to post some comments about No. 4 Shaving Soap.

As the one who developed it, I thought some background information might help in reaching some conclusions.

First of all, you won’t get a lather. That was a deliberate trade-off in two areas – maintaining all natural ingredients and keeping the soap as mild and nourishing as possible. The natural oils that generate lather are the very same ones that are harsh or abrasive to the skin during a shave. I could have added some artificial ingredients but chose not to do so.

There were 3 objectives in developing the soap: 1) to make it all natural and environmentally friendly; 2) to provide as much lubrication as possible, and 3) to make it as skin friendly as possible. Beyond that, No. 4 is a paradigm shift for shaving. For men who enjoy the traditional shave with brush and lather, this is not going to be satisfactory.

On the other hand, for those who can look beyond the lack of lather, the shaving experience turns out to be quite a surprise. No. 4 was recently reviewed by a Spanish magazine dedicated to men and shaving, and the write-up included this bit:
“It is in these moments when one wonders - like the story of Columbus

standing the egg upright, why nobody had invented anything similar after so

many centuries of suffering and shaving in human history.”

The rest of the review was just as positive, and overall the editors rated the shave as impeccable.
You can access the full review here:

Free translation help is here:
https://translation2.paralink.com/

The key to using No. 4 is to shave by feeling the face after the initial shave down/shave up. Adding a bit of hot water as necessary will deliver sufficient lubrication to maintain shaving strokes across multiple directions until there is full satisfaction with the closeness of the shave. The skin will remain fully protected throughout.

Most day-to-day shaving will use 3 pumps of soap. There are some who may require 4.

For a Monday morning shave after a weekend outdoors, let the 3-4 pumps dry on the beard for about 30-45 seconds, then wet with hot water and add 1-2 more pumps. I think you will be astonished at the smooth, comfortable shave No. 4 delivers in this circumstance.

Hope these comments help.

I will be happy to answer any questions via this post, or you can reach me at the web site:
www.oldpostroadoils.com

And thanks Andy for letting me provide this info.

Pr B

Difference?

Is there a difference--beyond scent--between No 4 and Pear Tree?

How would you describe the two scents?

Thanks!

OPROCo

There really isn't a difference between No. 4 and Pear Tree except for the scents.

No. 4 uses an Egyptian sandalwood with a little bit of bergamot. There is a natural trace of rosin.

Pear Tree uses a Balsam, plus a little bit of bergamot. I'm still playing with this fragrance; I'm adding a small amount of patchouli each batch. I don't want it to get overpowered with the patchouli, but I would like it to have a little more of that scent.

But other than that the base formulas are the same.

Joe Frances

Just been using it for a couple of weeks, and must say I like No. 4 very much. If it turns out to be a "must have" product, do you think you could sell TSA approved sizes in say a 3-pack so we can travel by air with it?

mrkleen

Just ordered some this week, and waiting patiently for it to arrive.

As a man with a shaved head, I am looking forward to reporting back on how it does on the sensitive areas on top and back of my head.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
OPROCo: While the inability to achieve lather is a bit distracting, even at this point, your shaving soap is the best I have ever used, in terms of consistently achieving a surprisingly comfortable and very close shave...and isn't that what shaving soap is supposed to be all about? I will be a repeat customer! Thanks, Chuck.

OPROCo

Just been using it for a couple of weeks, and must say I like No. 4 very much. If it turns out to be a "must have" product, do you think you could sell TSA approved sizes in say a 3-pack so we can travel by air with it?

I'm in the process of ordering 3 ounce bottles, and getting labels to fit the new size bottles.

They will be available in 3-packs (3 bottles per purchase). That way I can use the existing box that I had specially made for shipping. These will comply with TSA regulations, and you can fit all three into the quart-size bag for liquid carry-ons.

Couple other things in the works:
- I'm expanding the fragrances for No. 4 to include a bay rum, a north woods aroma, and possibly a vetiver and lavender. The lavender is difficult to fold in, because of the base aroma of rosin. The vetiver is a complete unknown to me, but I've gotten some input that it would make a good fragrance.

- OPROCo

Joe Frances

I'm in the process of ordering 3 ounce bottles, and getting labels to fit the new size bottles.

They will be available in 3-packs (3 bottles per purchase). That way I can use the existing box that I had specially made for shipping. These will comply with TSA regulations, and you can fit all three into the quart-size bag for liquid carry-ons.

Couple other things in the works:
- I'm expanding the fragrances for No. 4 to include a bay rum, a north woods aroma, and possibly a vetiver and lavender. The lavender is difficult to fold in, because of the base aroma of rosin. The vetiver is a complete unknown to me, but I've gotten some input that it would make a good fragrance.

- OPROCo

Thanks, good to read we are on the same wavelength-- if you have an important shaving product, you've got to be able to travel with it. Like everyone else, I was a little skeptical about the super low lather, but you really have something good here. It will be good if I can get this in my carryon bag for travel. Just make sure we are going to get this through the TSA scrutinizers. Interesting that you are experimenting with other fragrances. I don't feel the fragrance aspect of this is a major factor in using No. 4. The fragrance is nice, but it doesn't last very long. Is it your thought that No. 4 is also a fragrance product, or is that just for the edification of the user while shaving?

Last edited:

OPROCo

Thanks, good to read we are on the same wavelength-- if you have an important shaving product, you've got to be able to travel with it. Like everyone else, I was a little skeptical about the super low lather, but you really have something good here. It will be good if I can get this in my carryon bag for travel. Just make sure we are going to get this through the TSA scrutinizers. Interesting that you are experimenting with other fragrances. I don't feel the fragrance aspect of this is a major factor in using No. 4. The fragrance is nice, but it doesn't last very long. Is it your thought that No. 4 is also a fragrance product, or is that just for the edification of the user while shaving?

No, I don't think No. 4 is really a fragrance product, but just wanted to see how those other fragrances would turn out. Guess the issue is a bit of providing options, especially to those who are particular about it.

mrkleen

2 days, 2 shaves - and I am truly amazed.

Today, I did as OPro suggested and shaved the normal way, and then reapplied some more water - and shaved against the grain. I am talking about my entire head - not just my face, and the results were stunning.

Close, smooth, no irritation, no nicks etc. Truly the best shave I have ever been able to achieve on my head, in more than 20 years of shaving it.

The only down side is that because of the lack of lather, when shaving your head with No. 4 - the solution runs down into your eyes and burns rather quickly. I remedied this by keeping a towel handy - and wiping my forehead from time to time.

Very impressed with the product. Thank you again.

coynedj

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I had discovered the benefits of no-lather soaps a while back, so the lack of a lather was a pleasant surprise for me. The best soaps and shampoos don't lather.

I have used a brush and, yes, lathering soap since the Carter administration, and now find that I'm reaching for the bottle of No. 4 more often now. Two pumps is enough for me. This is really good stuff, and I'm glad to hear about the 3-oz bottles on the way - I've been looking for some time for something to use when I travel, and have been disappointed with every tube shaving cream so far. I had gotten used to always having unsatisfactory shaves while on the road, but those days may soon be over.

Pr B

W O W !

I used the Old Post Road Oil today for the first time. With a 3-week old Gillette Fusion blade (showing almost all white on the "indicator" strip).

WOW! That was THE BEST, CLOSEST shave ever for me! Fast. Smooth. No burns. Wow.

OPROCo

Thanks

To all who have posted:

I really appreciate the comments.
Take the rest of the day off.

But not before you get the word out. I don't do any advertising yet, so this is it.

I am working with the web designer to revamp the website to change the "Contact Us" page into what I'm calling a "Tavern" page. (Sorta consistent with the theme of Old Post Road.)

In the Tavern, there will be a contact section, along with comments, suggestions for use, links to neat sites (like this one), maybe at some point a mini-forum, and other things as they come up. If you don't mind, I'd like to post some of these comments.

This has been an interesting venture. I'm not a chemist, but just an average Joe who decided one day I'd had enough with shaving foam, and decided that there had to be a better way. It took two years to get the formula where it is today. My wife thinks I'm crazy, so these comments are a big help in that department. (Although she does like the Pear Tree.)

As soon as the travel bottles and labels come in I'll get that posted on the site as well. It's probably going to be the end of next week at the earliest, or maybe the week after. I'll try to get it done before taxes.

Joe Frances

To all who have posted:

I really appreciate the comments.
Take the rest of the day off.

But not before you get the word out. I don't do any advertising yet, so this is it.

I am working with the web designer to revamp the website to change the "Contact Us" page into what I'm calling a "Tavern" page. (Sorta consistent with the theme of Old Post Road.)

In the Tavern, there will be a contact section, along with comments, suggestions for use, links to neat sites (like this one), maybe at some point a mini-forum, and other things as they come up. If you don't mind, I'd like to post some of these comments.

This has been an interesting venture. I'm not a chemist, but just an average Joe who decided one day I'd had enough with shaving foam, and decided that there had to be a better way. It took two years to get the formula where it is today. My wife thinks I'm crazy, so these comments are a big help in that department. (Although she does like the Pear Tree.)

As soon as the travel bottles and labels come in I'll get that posted on the site as well. It's probably going to be the end of next week at the earliest, or maybe the week after. I'll try to get it done before taxes.

By the way, I forgot to mention that I wish you all the luck in the world with your new business. This is not the best of economic times to be starting a new venture, but I am crossing my fingers for your success. You are making a good product, and hopefully we can help get the word out.

One last thing: "MADE IN THE USA" or not? I looked for an indication on the bottle but didn't see anything.

Joe

OPROCo

By the way, I forgot to mention that I wish you all the luck in the world with your new business. This is not the best of economic times to be starting a new venture, but I am crossing my fingers for your success. You are making a good product, and hopefully we can help get the word out.

One last thing: "MADE IN THE USA" or not? I looked for an indication on the bottle but didn't see anything.

Joe

Oh yes; made in Holland, Michigan.
Thanks for your support.
Heck, I'm doing better than GM!

rwjones

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
As a slight digression, I'd like to say that I REALLY enjoy when manufacturers themselves reach out to us on the forum. Recently we had Allen-Edmonds's CEO post here, and this thread is along the same lines - answering some nitty-gritty consumer questions that might not arise from most shoppers. So, thanks for the great customer service.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.