Southern Fratters

shuman

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Due to modern (liberal) leanings of societal pressures, the modern fraternity bears almost no resemblance to the organization I pledged in 1989. Similarly, I'm sure the alum who visited at homecoming games thought the same of us.

I was taught never to use the word frat, and everytime I hear the word used, I cringe uncontrolably. I think these generalizations are meant tongue in cheek, and I for one take them that way.

Tau Kappa Epsilon.

HoustonTEX

I have read the fratty.net message board and I have been disgusted by the immaturity. It is a bunch of kids that want to prove to other kids that they are more privileged and "old money" then others. They look at movies like "American Psycho" and "Wall Street" and do not see the negative social commentaries made but quote and praise the characters. They are even horrible to other members of the message boards.

I loved my fraternity days. I am still close to many of my fraternity brothers and we still talk about our wilder days. I do like the fact that when I go to football games the fraternity men still dress basically the same way we did 10+ years ago. I hope fratty.net and all other boards in the same vain are taken down. I fear that impressionable 18 year old will see these boards and believe this is how they should behave.

rojo

HoustonTEX said:
I have read the fratty.net message board and I have been disgusted by the immaturity. It is a bunch of kids that want to prove to other kids that they are more privileged and "old money" than others.

That's it, yes.

maddox

HoustonTEX said:
I have read the fratty.net message board and I have been disgusted by the immaturity. It is a bunch of kids that want to prove to other kids that they are more privileged and "old money" then others. They look at movies like "American Psycho" and "Wall Street" and do not see the negative social commentaries made but quote and praise the characters. They are even horrible to other members of the message boards.

I loved my fraternity days. I am still close to many of my fraternity brothers and we still talk about our wilder days. I do like the fact that when I go to football games the fraternity men still dress basically the same way we did 10+ years ago. I hope fratty.net and all other boards in the same vain are taken down. I fear that impressionable 18 year old will see these boards and believe this is how they should behave.

I looked at it a few times (I think it was taken down after some big controversy over black fraternities at South Carolina.) and I found it amusing.

The point of the board wasn't to be serious. I can assure you that my fraternity brothers and I loved American Psycho and Wall Street while choosing to ignore the social commentary (a huge difference between failing to see it) before fratty.net came around.

Untilted

Honors Member
There was a thread called "Nig*** joke of the day". It was awful. The anti-minority-into-greek-system sentiment was strong too. it's quite sad, that some of the ugliest posts were made by brilliant kids from top schools.

Artisan Fan

Honors Member
If for high school, a fratter found Choate, Kent or Andover to be too small, they might choose to attend any of the following public universities: UVA, UNC, Michigan, UCLA, etc.

I resemble that remark. :)

Artisan Fan

Honors Member
Kappa Alpha (i don't know if it's KA society or KA order)
St. Anthony's Hall
Delta Kappa Epsilon
Zeta Psi

Don't forget Chipsy! (Chi Psi, the Lodge). Some terrific parties in the late 80s there...lots of East Coast Establishment types as members. And this from a tudor house way off campus.

Tito

One important note that was over looked was the fact that the "fratter" would owe dues and never pay them! Even to this day! But got all the benefits that the suckers did.

shuman

Rereading some old threads. Decided to pull my Clarks Wallabys out of the closet and boy are they comfortable. I love the look, but always wondered if the look fit my Trad ways. In HS, they were the shoe of the long haired smokers, and are now associated with hip hop artists, but they are too comfortable to be ignored.

Would they go well with khakis and cords, or just jeans? THanks for letting me rant.

Mel

The long post is quite foolish

Your long post about a romantic view of the south is rubbish. My family were German Jews who came to the deep South pre Civil war and experienced only minimal antisemitism. As the world changed and the immigration of Irish,Italian and Eastern Jews brought energy,innovation and growth to the U.S.,Ellis Island was not noovo but a gateway of freedom. It might upset the writer that the city clubs he cites in NYC as well as the South have some Jews Catholics and even a few African Americans. Sorry you'd be upset. The stereotype you glorify was a prototype of a bigoted segregated time . Your classest reverie is sort of a "gone with the wind". Not all Woodbury Students wear brooks suits or hang out at the "club". Conversely some public school grads (horror of horrors) are members of the toniest clubs now. This forum is about clothes not an image of bigotry and exclusivity. After all ZBT at UVa has had its share of leaders who are quite preppy and also civic leaders.

Mel

The long post is quite foolish

Your long post about a romantic view of the south is rubbish. My family were German Jews who came to the deep South pre Civil war and experienced only minimal antisemitism. As the world changed and the immigration of Irish,Italian and Eastern Jews brought energy,innovation and growth to the U.S.,Ellis Island was not noovo but a gateway of freedom. The same distortions about who was related to the King of England is similar to the German Jewish prejudice towards the Russian and Polish coreligionists.
It might upset the writer that the city clubs he cites in NYC as well as the South have some Jews Catholics and even a few African Americans. Sorry you'd be upset. The stereotype you glorify was a prototype of a bigoted segregated time . Your classest reverie is sort of a "gone with the wind". Not all Woodbury Students wear brooks suits or hang out at the "club". Conversely some public school grads (horror of horrors) are members of the toniest clubs now. This forum is about clothes not an image of bigotry and exclusivity. After all ZBT at UVa has had its share of leaders who are quite preppy and also civic leaders.

knickerbacker

It would seem that I’ve been posting on the wrong forum. (wink)

Sure the author’s piece is not the most eloquent and smacks of immaturity, however I would say that much of his posting could be used as the building blocks of “southern trad”. In fact, follow the provided links for several examples of “Southern Lifestyle Trad”. Of course, if you feel that trad is only about the clothes—stay away or this thread will erupt into one of “those” arguments. But, when these “young men” grow up and start posting on AAAC, which forum to you think they’ll use?

I was even tempted to list the Chevy Tahoe/Suburban as an example of a “southern trad” vehicle in a recent post on the subject.
Any others share these views?

Allen

I'm inclined to agree with your analysis, excepting that I think it could be well describing trads both north and south. However, the very act of writing this type of chest pounding puff piece is the antithesis of the manners of those it describes. I especially like the acknowledgment of the class in decline- fortunes faded, no longer at the helm of the major corporations, etc. I'm glad I've looked no further into the website from which it came as it sounds pretty lackluster at best. As far as those who take offense at the dissertation, I'd point out that many of the alleged sons of the Lady Arabella (or the Susan Constant, Godspeed or Discovery) and 6th cousins of the Prince would find that their ancestors may have likely come over as indentured servants, thereby lower than slaves and slightly higher than chickens on the social hiearchy of the day (as indentured servants were considered, in the thinking of humans as property, a more disposable labor force/ commodity by nature of their contract and thus were worked as such. Those that made it through the seven years were free though -so this is not a "who had it worse" type of statement). Were the dissertation a bit more "this is who we are" and less "this is who you aren't" it could be funnier. Self satire; an important thing.

To the poster who took offense:

1) it's a quote, not a post- the thread starter didn't write it, some kid did.
2) the original inhabitants of the land looked down their noses at the noovahs when they got off their boats in the 1600's- look what happened to them! (besides, those Jamestown types will always be Noovahs in the eyes of the Roanoke Islanders)

There always will be threads of the fabric of the old and (often no longer) ruling elite in the fabric of the trad as many trads have run things once in a while, but the fabric is not reserved solely for those of us who may or may not be blue bloods at all. You don't have to be white. Or rich (you may be financially worse off after reading this forum), or anything. I may be a WASP from New England. Or the son of a lace curtain Irish family. Or both. Or a cab driver in England. who cares? (as long as you don't wear darts....just kidding). All are welcome.
OK the eggnog's getting to me.

newbie1984

Starting Member
you wouldn't call stephan, steve would you? Give me a break.

I wouldn't call my fraternity a frat if it also meant ****.

I swear I want to punch every single person I've ever met in my life in the face who says "you wouldn't call your country a ****"

If you're the type of person who says this you might as well get a big tattoo on for your forehead that says "I'm stuck in middle management for the rest of my life."

...and now you know

and by the way I've got half a feeling somebody will ban me for saying this so I also want to add to the guy who was wearing a black jacket to his job interview and then wound up not getting the job. Black jackets are considered very poor taste unless your attending a funeral or in the mafia.

....GO GATORS!

CCabot

How interesting. A friend just pointed out to me that whoever wrote that piece in the original post is either the same person or blatantly plagiarizing from a definition of the word “preppy” on urbandictionary.com (third definition down) that focuses on the South. Large sections are pretty much copied ad verbatim.

Actually, after having amused myself reading some of the definitions, I would lean more towards plagiarization as the author seems to have taken chunks from other definitions on the site as well. It would seem to be a hodge-podge of more or less quotations from various posted definitions.

Last edited:

JRR

and by the way I've got half a feeling somebody will ban me for saying this so I also want to add to the guy who was wearing a black jacket to his job interview and then wound up not getting the job. Black jackets are considered very poor taste unless your attending a funeral or in the mafia.

....GO GATORS!

Drinking after the game?

LOL

shuman

Maybe there is a way to turn this thread into something positive, instead of calling names or rehashing the same old rubbish? I would love to see a productive discussion, although maybe we have covered everything Southern-prep related?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.