Sacksuit Midwest

Starting Member
Greetings:

I have used the forums mainly as an informational tool and not to share much. The announced closure of the Haverhill factory and uncertainty with respect to Southwick has prompted this message.

I worked in a men's clothing store my senior year of college and was introduced to much of the exceptionally made/American-made clothing by the likes of Robert Talbott, Kenneth Gordon, Corbin, Southwick, etc. I started wearing Southwick Douglas model suits from 1995 until 2005. I "lapsed" and shifted away from trad for a spell and then returned. I used the forum to become educated about the lay of the land and made two special trips from Michigan to Buffalo to have 8 made to measure Southwicks ordered through O'Connells. I've since bought several SW tweed coats from O'Connells and several special orders directly from the Southwick factory store. While the quality and craftsmanship is not what it was like when the Grieco Brothers owned the business, I have been pleased with their product. Especially when comparing to the Canadian-made options available from J Press, O'Connells. (Don't get me wrong, Empire makes nice suits, sport coats and topcoats, but the natural shoulder three button is something different.)

My brother was in communication with the Southwick factory store manager and he said any customer support/communications would be appreciated. Have folks been writing to either Golden Fleece management and/or Brooks Brothers about this? Any word from O'Connells or J Press about whether they have permanently parted ways with SW as a source for their clothing? Any utility in trying to coordinate efforts?

Best.

some_dude

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I ordered a suit from Southwick through John Helmer in March. I just spoke with John yesterday, and he said that Southwick is done... finito. No one to even answer the phones. And no, they didn't make my suit. Unfortunate.

fishertw

Advanced Member
Just ordered and received a Southwick Douglas gray herringbone from O'Connells in Buffalo. When I ordered, I understood the person I spoke with to say that existing stock of Southwick was all they would have. This was in early August.

Steve Smith

Southwick is done. The building is being sold. The equipment is being auctioned off. Some former employees have bought the name. So we may see a much smaller version carrying on in some guise. I'm sure they know where to buy some machines at a good price.

The Garland plant is being purchased by a NY women's wear brand and is expected to reopen in early October. My guess is that they will pursue new third party contracts with shirt brands and continue to manufacture shirts alongside women's wear. I expect that the new owner will keep much of the previous management and labor force in place. The management team there is solid and I expect that they will lead that factory into profitability.

fishertw

Advanced Member
Southwick is done. The building is being sold. The equipment is being auctioned off. Some former employees have bought the name. So we may see a much smaller version carrying on in some guise. I'm sure they know where to buy some machines at a good price.

The Garland plant is being purchased by a NY women's wear brand and is expected to reopen in early October. My guess is that they will pursue new third party contracts with shirt brands and continue to manufacture shirts alongside women's wear. I expect that the new owner will keep much of the previous management and labor force in place. The management team there is solid and I expect that they will lead that factory into profitability.
Sure hope so Steve. Eastern North Carolina needs all the employment it can get. I just ordered a shirt from Hertling that was billed as being sewn in NC. possibly the Garland plant. I'd love to see both the shirt folks and the Southwick goods back in operation. Thanks for all your good informaiton.

G

Guest-309714

Southwick factory store was holding a liquidation sale. Cash only. Started in late July 2020. Check their Facebook site. You might be able to get through to a salesperson.

DCR

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Southwick factory store was holding a liquidation sale. Cash only. Started in late July 2020. Check their Facebook site. You might be able to get through to a salesperson.
Their last post is from Feb 6th. I haven't seen mention of a liquidation sale anywhere from Southwick

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.