Spotting fake Burberry.

WillBarrett

Any help with this? No label but curious about the pattern.

74d227fdd7826f2ef1190eba39833191.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SG_67

Connoisseur
The Burberry check pattern is called "Haymarket". I don't think it means much these days if the pattern is an exact match to the real as Burberry is probably one of the most knocked brands in the world. Unless you're buying it new from Burberry or an authorized retailer, assume it's a fake.

Here's an image from the Burberry website:

a3cbebcb0f20afbc5ffcb76256ae10324d064ada.jpg

Last edited:

SG_67

Connoisseur
^ Like I said, it's no trouble to knock it off. Heck, take a look at the label on the real stuff and it's made in China. It's no trouble to turn the lights on in the factory after hours and crank out the fakes.

ThomGault

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Yeah...I've purchased one Burberry item from eBay; it was vintage and I don't think I'd ever purchase a new Burberry item the same way. Too risky, unless the investment is very small. Although, I'd be satisfied with an 'after hours ' Burberry item :p

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
You'll actually get a better idea of authenticity by looking at the outside of the coat, in a global sense, which will allow your instinct to guide you. However, to do so accurately, you'll have to look at a thousand photos of real coats and build up that 'memory bank' of what's authentic. Sort of like antique dealers.

I realize that isn't actually a helpful comment, lol

WillBarrett

You'll actually get a better idea of authenticity by looking at the outside of the coat, in a global sense, which will allow your instinct to guide you. However, to do so accurately, you'll have to look at a thousand photos of real coats and build up that 'memory bank' of what's authentic. Sort of like antique dealers.

I realize that isn't actually a helpful comment, lol

No it's actually pretty helpful. I may even snag it just to see what I can do with it. It's a 38S but it nearly fits me, and I'm a 40R in almost everything. But the styling is almost identical to Burberry - only issue is I can't tell where the label was.

Old Road Dog

Burberrys', Gucci, and Rolex were prime targets for counterfeiters even thirty years ago, when I worked for Burberrys' under Norman Hilton's distribution rights. Even then, the scarves and plaid lining materials were knocked off blatantly, and very exactingly. As one poster pointed out, you had to work with the real thing every day to easily tell the difference. A good fake is very difficult for the consumer to detect. I'm not sure it would be possible to make a real determination over the internet unless you had exceptional photographs of the item to share. Based on the photo of the lining above, I'm not optimistic about that coat's authenticity.

Last edited:
Burberry is most widely known for the nova check pattern. But they are hardly the only ones to use it. Several vintage companies used that pattern in their lining and it's almost indistinguishable from Burberry. Check the front pockets for tags.

WillBarrett

Thanks, everyone. I picked it up - I can always take it back for a store credit. I'll post pictures tomorrow. I'm currently going back and forth between US soccer, Bama basketball and helping my wife bake a cake with my three kids assisting. [emoji51]

ThomGault

Burberrys', Gucci, and Rolex were prime targets for counterfeiters even thirty years ago, when I worked for Burberrys' under Norman Hilton's distribution rights. Even then, the scarves and plaid lining materials were knocked off blatantly, and very exactingly. As one poster pointed out, you had to work with the real thing every day to easily tell the difference. A good fake is very difficult for the consumer to detect. I'm not sure it would be possible to make a real determination over the internet unless you had exceptional photographs of the item to share. Based on the photo of the lining above, I'm not optimistic about that coat's authenticity.

Thanks for the historical perspective. In your experience, when Burberry was being counterfeited 30 years ago, was it by normal factory workers staying late, or non-burberry workers at non-burberry plants with non-burberry material? To me, the former scenario doesn't really feel like a knockoff, whereas the latter clearly is.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Old Road Dog said:
ThomGault said:
Thanks for the historical perspective. In your experience, when Burberry was being counterfeited 30 years ago, was it by normal factory workers staying late, or non-burberry workers at non-burberry plants with non-burberry material? To me, the former scenario doesn't really feel like a knockoff, whereas the latter clearly is.
At some point, if the knock-off is well made, then it might not matter in everyday terms. I have three classic trenchcoats, made in Canada from West German cloth (that helps date them!), which look convincingly like Burberry to the layman. They're excellent and just as good as anything I've seen from Burberry, aside from the super-heavy classic ones from 30+ years ago. Take another look at the coat and if it seems well made, then what the heck, it might turn out to be a good buy.

SG_67

Connoisseur
There's a difference between something made in the style of a particular classic, such as the Burberry trench, and a blatant knock off, i.e. counterfeit product.

I don't care how well made the counterfeit may be, I refuse support an enterprise which at it's heart is associated with organized crime.

Old Road Dog

Interesting that the photo above of a sleeveless lining shows the product label with "Burberry" spelled just that way. In my experience with the company, dating back to the late 70's, the spelling of the brand was always "Burberrys'', in the plural-possess form. The labels are also white letters on a dark blue ground. That liner would be from a coat much earlier than the 70's, or more likely a current coat that shows that they have reverted to the former "Burberry" name on the label. I mention this because genuine coats made in the 70's and 80's would have the blue label I referred to with the alternative spelling. This might help those who are trying to authenticate vintage coats.

Last edited:
Hey, WillBarrett, there's an authentic Burberry coat at Big Saver in Roebuck. It's a 40L and they want $24.99 for it. However, the manager said that he would come down on it a little. Probably get it for $19.99. It has the zip-in liner as well. By the way, if you go there, it is in the women's section (where I find most of my nicer coats):hidden:

WillBarrett

Here's the jacket in question. I'm quite sure it's fake but still a rather nice piece.
a2228c569c9fb5bf6e3cc44281d7fb86.jpg
ba4464b2fa82c0e7d2709ad64afe0bd8.jpg
6cc7af6fce8af97af1b4c932f7687f93.jpg
8c0ce9bcad7ccde1bf8551c7a1cd9721.jpg

Now here's the question - is there anything I can do with it, or should I take it back for a store credit?

WillBarrett

Thanks much - it's an incredibly well made jacket but I don't need it - well.... - so it's going back to the store.

gamma68

Honors Member
"Made in Poland" would be the first clue that it's not legitimate.

If you like it and would wear it, keep it.

If the "fakeness" of it bothers you, return it.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.