Men's Clothing Forums banner

Stainless Steel Wallet???

28K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  Howard 
#1 ·
Apologies if this belongs in the Interchange (or some other) forum, but I thought it would be an item of interest. I just received an e-mail advertisement from Cuff art touting a new "stainless steel" wallet :eek: :
"The worlds first and only patented wallet composed entirely of stainless steel, the fabric used in it's creation is also used in the making of fuel filters for Ferrari.

Three times thinner than paper, but with the same strength as traditional leather, these wallets are unusually smooth to the touch, incredibly light and will never corrode.

Unlike leather, woven stainless steel actually breathes and blocks radio waves, thus protecting RFID enabled credit cards from mobile scanners!"

Bizarre. Is this just capitalizing on a trend (everything stainless) or is there really a market/need for radio wave blocking wallets?

#2 ·
Peter Elliot in Manhattan stocks them. My friend was quite taken by them and got the card holder. The wallet has a tendency to crease. Do we need them, no, a money clip and card holder suffices, but then we don't need hand stitched full canvas suits - loin cloths also cover one's privates.

#4 ·
I'm probably just a sucker for gimmicks but, that wallet sounds pretty cool! Although, I'm not sure how practical it would be...most of us stuff way too much in our wallets and I'm not sure a wallet made of woven SS fabric would be flexible enough to allow us to do that. Perhaps that's just the incentive we need to keep the junk out of our wallets!

#5 ·
Given the greater conductivity of steel compared to leather and most other materials usually used for wallets, isn't there a comparatively greater risk of demagnetizing your cards?

#6 ·
With the new chip technology that is now becoming manditory in Europe on all credit cards (and will be in N.A. within the next 5-7 years) this will become important.

#8 ·
Stewart has been making unique things like this for a few years now. Always good quality and innovative. Last year he designed a line of flat cufflinks. Always works with metal. He premiered the wallet at this year's Collective.

#11 ·
It might save you one day if you keep it in your breast pocket and someone aims right at it, but that may be outbalanced by the risk to you during thunderstorms.

I also can't see it as a first choice in controlling RF emission, as copper or aluminum mesh nicely blocks stray radiation, and is easily be woven into fabrics (you can get very nice drapes to help control emissions which might be picked up outside your window, should you be concerned about "snoops", so long as your sheet rock and flooring are also properly protected).

#13 ·
Alexander Kabbaz said:
Stewart has been making unique things like this for a few years now. Always good quality and innovative. Last year he designed a line of flat cufflinks. Always works with metal. He premiered the wallet at this year's Collective.
What's next? Perhaps metal underwear! Not very good for breathing but very durable!

#17 ·
jml90 said:
Check out this titanium wallet
won't this create a crater on your ass if you put it in the backpocket of your denim pants?

#18 · (Edited)
I switched to one of these last year after hearing about them on NPR. It's the best wallet I've ever had and their claims are true. It's thinner with all my stuff in it than my old leather wallet was empty.
https://www.all-ett.com/

After carrying it for a year it still looks like new. It's a small mom and pop company so I've been thinking of ordering five more to put away in case they ever go out of business. I couldn't go back to any other wallet. This one is so thin and light you don't know it's there.

I also highly recommend one of these . It fits nicely in the fold and has come in handy quite a few times.

#19 ·
Nice Wallet Pen

Thanks for the lead Wuchak. That wallet pen could be a life saver. I almost always carry a pen in my pocket, but yesterday I was without my pen and without my brief case (more pens) and in dire need of a pen. This sounds like a good solution.

#23 ·
Palerider said:
Thanks for the lead Wuchak. That wallet pen could be a life saver. I almost always carry a pen in my pocket, but yesterday I was without my pen and without my brief case (more pens) and in dire need of a pen. This sounds like a good solution.
You're welcome. I also recommend keeping a 3x5 index card someplace in your wallet to go with the wallet pen.

#26 ·
acidicboy said:
won't this create a crater on your ass if you put it in the backpocket of your denim pants?
It also creates a crater in your bank account given that it costs $300 for the brushed finish version ($320 for a polished model). :crazy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.