Storage of ties and pocket handkerchiefs

Mad4Madras

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
How do you gents store yours?

I have not found a good method for storage that allows for effective sorting, selection, removal, and replacement of said articles.

The ties are hung on a device like (double sided, but stacked two deep on each peg). I am inclined to segregate my ties mostly by type, less by color. That is, generally, I will keep all ancient madder together, and the same with regimentals, emblematics, etc. However, when a tie has a predominance of a certain color, say a foulard w/ mostly blue, I will keep it with my "mostly blue" ties. It is an imperfect system, and one I have difficulty managing. I just hate having them all hanging about pell-mell next to each other without the slightest sense of order, although that is what it often comes to look like, after I root through the lot of them looking for the right tie to wear.

Likewise, my pocket handkerchiefs. These are far less problematic sadly, because they are almost all solids. Still, I don't have a good method for storage that allows me to browse and select, without tearing them all out of the drawer.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
I keep my bedroom door open in my small bachelor establishment, and I hang my ties over it. It works, although it's not going to get me into Better Homes & Gardens.

Lifestyles of the Rank & Feral, maybe.

bigCat

Honors Member
I have a similar device for ties - I am thinking about getting a motorized one. For pocket squares - I roll them and then line them up on the bottom of a shallow drawer. That way, the creasing is minimal, and they are easy to browse.

CWJ

I read somewhere that ties should be rolled up and stored in a drawer. Supposedly it's a good way to get rid of the twists in the fabric after a tie is worn. I've tried this, but it's just too time consuming, even for my most preferred ties. I use a series of wall mounted peg systems.

I'm sad to say that I don't take very good care of my pocket silks.

Joe Tradly

Elite Member
The sorting of ties is of interest to me. Madras, sounds like you have a system that works for you. I have my ties on two racks that have pegs for the ties. Interestingly, it's evolved over time that they are devided into three groups of colors: blues, reds, and what I like to call the Mardi Gras section, purples, greens and golds. They're on a rotating basis, with ties I've worn most recently to the right.

JB

Mad4Madras

Thanks all for the thoughts. Specifically,
The Mardi Gras section, purples, greens and golds. They're on a rotating basis, with ties I've worn most recently to the right.

JB

The Mardi Gras section! Very good! I have a section I call the "low rent district", which is comprised of ties that I can't part with, but wouldn't be my first, or even second choices, such as: slightly-too-narrow Hermes, some geometrics with good colors but are, well, geometric, etc.

For pocket squares - I roll them and then line them up on the bottom of a shallow drawer. That way, the creasing is minimal, and they are easy to browse.

I do have them in a flat drawer, but they are folded over and stacked one on top of the other. I'll try your method, and advise.

And Patrick, I too, am inclined to hang clothes on my doors. Were I to spread out my ties on a bedroom door as a permanent solution, I might just need a small bachelor establishment, myself!

AlanC

Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
I have struggled with an approach to store pocket squares. I attempted a hanger approach, where I would lay them over a trouser hanger in an effort to avoid creasing. The problem was I could never easily get to pocket squares down in the stack. I've switched to keeping them folded in a drawer, which allows for easy access, but still allows creasing. There's no perfect approach, I fear.

Joe Tradly

Elite Member
When the issue of pocket square storage came up on the fashion forum some time ago, a member suggested an interesting solution using a "binder clip."

Everyone familiar with this office supply contraption? Black clip with sliver loop handles? You can pry out the "handle" by pinching it. The poster looped the handles around a wire hanger, inserted them back into the black clip, and hung the squares from the clips. He had a series of these clips attached to one wire hange, so each hanger held a number of them.

Please tell me someone can picture this in their minds. I think I've done a terrible job of describing it.

JB

Mad4Madras

I think I understand. You would end up with a wire coat hanger with a number of black clips dangling from their arms, with squares hanging from the pincher part.

I suppose there is a risk of damaging the square, but if you are careful, "it's so crazy it just might work!" as they say...

As for a container, I don't have a convenient place to put the container, I think. I'll probably devote a flat drawer space to them. The clip/hanger idea Joe relayed might work, too, if I can find the closet space.

paper clip

Elite Member
I keep my bedroom door open in my small bachelor establishment, and I hang my ties over it. It works, although it's not going to get me into Better Homes & Gardens.

Lifestyles of the Rank & Feral, maybe.

A caution to others who wish to try this - make sure to clean the top of the door first - it is otherwise a very dusty, dirty place. I tried this once and learned the hard way to clean first before hanging!

Best wishes,

Tom Rath

Silly question - why would anyone care of their pocket squares get creased in storage? After all, dont we just put them in our pockets anyhow, where they get creased? If you fold them in 4ths, and then just stack them there is no concievable way for them to get any more creased then sitting in a pocket all day long.

A.Squire

Honors Member
Silly question - why would anyone care of their pocket squares get creased in storage? After all, dont we just put them in our pockets anyhow, where they get creased? If you fold them in 4ths, and then just stack them there is no concievable way for them to get any more creased then sitting in a pocket all day long.

I'll drink to that.

A

AlanC

Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
Sometimes the creases interfere with my silk puff folds. On linen and cotton I sometimes desire to fold them in a way that runs counter to the creases.

mcarthur

Connoisseur
storage

Sometimes the creases interfere with my silk puff folds. On linen and cotton I sometimes desire to fold them in a way that runs counter to the creases.

AlanC-
To satisfy your desire you need to have a drawer installed in your california closet

bigCat

Honors Member

I agree.
And on top of that, you want your pocket squres to "release" most of the creases they accumulated in the last use. You want them ready for the next use, which may not be the same fold as the last.

knickerbacker

I actually would very much like the motorized tie rack, with two dozen identical reg ties, used in the character "Chas's " closet in The Royal Tennenbaums...

Mad4Madras

I agree.
And on top of that, you want your pocket squres to "release" most of the creases they accumulated in the last use. You want them ready for the next use, which may not be the same fold as the last.

Quite right. You gentlemen have incised precisely to the point of the matter. It seems that, barring a pull or some other abrasion, the hanging-clip arrangement described above ought to help keep the creases out. It doesn't sound particularly pleasing, aesthetically, and not the most efficient use of space, though. Also, lying rolled squares in a flat drawer, as mentioned, could work, but that is more prone to becoming disrupted by haste, and again, uses a bit of space.

Rocker

When the issue of pocket square storage came up on the fashion forum some time ago, a member suggested an interesting solution using a "binder clip."

Everyone familiar with this office supply contraption? Black clip with sliver loop handles? You can pry out the "handle" by pinching it. The poster looped the handles around a wire hanger, inserted them back into the black clip, and hung the squares from the clips. He had a series of these clips attached to one wire hange, so each hanger held a number of them.

Please tell me someone can picture this in their minds. I think I've done a terrible job of describing it.

JB

I ordered these :

and they work well. No damage to the pocket square. Just enough tension to hold them. You can run 30-40 of them along the botton of a hanger and then clip the squares.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.