Flanderian

Connoisseur
I submit, for your consideration:
They need to move that dark brown at least 90 miles further east to include Biloxi.

Noon to 6, heck! Make 8AM to 8PM in the summer for Biloxi! A bit before noon the sun was so hot on the tarmac that it would literally melt the shine off your shoes. Looked down at my boots one day, and wondered what the heck that black puddle was that had formed around them, then it hit me! :eek:

Also, I’ve spent over half of my career working in a massive refinery with little concealing the horizon. Any given summer day a storm (heck, even just a shade cloud) can be seen approaching from the west. Focus on work for 20 minutes or so. Look back up to see the storm has split and quite literally gone around the refinery and conjoined again to the east. I attribute MUCH to the heats of the refining process. Many colossal furnaces/boilers/heaters, thermal oxidizer/flares/scrubbers, and heat exchangers/towers/cooling towers exist in this refinery and the surrounding plants of various processes.
Absolutely true! Large man-made installations like that create their own micro-climates.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
We are due for a pair of double digit days here in Portland. And then it will likely be in the high 80's-90's for the rest of the month. Such is August in the PNW. Fortunately, it's only August, not continuing through September and into October like in SoCal. The rains will return.

Howard

Connoisseur
We are due for a pair of double digit days here in Portland. And then it will likely be in the high 80's-90's for the rest of the month. Such is August in the PNW. Fortunately, it's only August, not continuing through September and into October like in SoCal. The rains will return.

New York will have a 2nd heatwave for 3 days until the temperatures get a bit cooler by the end of the week.

Howard, speaking as a native son of the south, I much prefer the cold to the heat. One can always put more clothes on, but there is a limit to how many one can take off.

I can stand the heat, but over 70 days in a row of +90 temps last summer was a rough patch.

When I moved overseas and experienced the weather in Pretoria and Nairobi, I thought I was in heaven, weather wise.

My favorite weather is a cold clear morning, around freezing, warming up into the high 40s during the day. Perfect hunting weather. Not brutally cold, perfect for a fire in the hearth, and and active person can strip down to a jacket and sweater in the afternoon.

In the south, we tend to super air condition our houses and businesses in the summer. It can be freezing in public spaces if one is thinly dressed.

Conversely, in the U.K. winter, one enters a pub bundled up against the wet cold and immediately begins to sweat through ones wool jumper due to the high heat inside. Then one gets to return outside with a moist layer of glisten when departing, promptly beginning to refreshed under ones clothes.

Cheers,

BSR

Howard

Connoisseur
Have you ever met an Italian?
I keed. Besides, I'm part Italian. The shoe part. And while shoes are not technically part of your body, I love 'em so much I treat them as such.

The news reporters pronounce it with a n "E" sound but I prounounce it with an "I" sound which do you think is the correct pronunciation?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals