Study: US is an oligarchy, not a democracy

Acct2000

Connoisseur - Moderator
Well that is a reckless blanket statement! I am sure you have tried all American beer and that is how you are able to make such a statement.

I think this is a fair statement about the quality of European beers before the popularity of American Craft Beers started making them available. I'm sure that is what the Earl was referring to.

Edit: Oops; European beers were diverse and flavorful all along. It's the American Craft Beers that were new.

(edited for clarity)

justonemore

Elite Member
I think this is a fair statement about the quality of European beers before the popularity of American Craft Beers started making them available. I'm sure that is what the Earl was referring to.
I would guess so as well. There is a big difference between the American Craft Beers of the current day and age and what existed just a few years ago (I.E. miller, budweiser, coors, etc.). I would still claim that major European brewers do a better job than the major American brewers. I would also think that many European micro.brews are better than the American Micro-brews. This has nothing to say as to there being no decent American beers. There are several.... But... From what I've tasted, there are less than whatr we can find elsewhere...

immanuelrx

Something of a sweeping generalisation I fear. However, in the Earl's defense, nearly all American beer that is sold in Europe is pi$$-poor. I know that there is a wave of micro-breweries setting up in the US and that there are very many good beers and ales being brewed, now. But for as long as I can remember the only US beers easily available have been the usual dreadful stuff, like Bud, etc.

That's unfortunate. Bud, Miller, Coors and the like are pretty crappy beers. I don't feel bad you all in Europe at all though. You guys have some great brews as well.

immanuelrx

Lighten up dude! Reckless? WTF, I wasn't talking about world poverty!

I was making a lighthearted comparison to American beer in general & its stereotype of being weak & bad. In the same way that most of the plastic-paddies in the USA bleive in the stereotypes that the IRA were fighting a glorious war against the Brtis & that all the Irish eat corned beef & cabbage & that green guinness flows in Dublin on St. Patrick's Day.

Get over yourself!

What can I say, I love my beer. :)

besides, isn't pointless stances and overreaction the theme of this thread? I was just trying to fit in.......

Chouan

Honors Member
That's unfortunate. Bud, Miller, Coors and the like are pretty crappy beers. I don't feel bad you all in Europe at all though. You guys have some great brews as well.

We have indeed. Nevermind the massive variety of British beers and ales, there are some wonderful continetal brews available. I particularly like Pelforth and Jeanlain from France, and Afflingem from Belgium as well as the various superb Czech beers, Urquell, Budvar etc.
Some months ago my eldest son had a night out with friends in Cambridge, staying with them overnight. The following morning he asked to be brought home as he was feeling "poorly". My wife, thoughtfully, put some plastic bags in the back of the car, just in case. It was a very good idea, as he needed them!
A couple of weeks later he bought me a bottle of Belgian Trappistenbier (330cl), which I enjoyed whilst watching some football. It was delicious, really nice, but I could feel my cheeks glowing as I drank it. After I'd finished it I told him how good it was (and I can't even begin to do so in words) he told me to read the label, whereupon I found that it was 9.2% alcohol. No wonder my cheeks were glowing! He then told me that the night he was unwell he'd had three bottles before his pals had arrived! A litre at 9.2% to start the night! No wonder he was ill!

immanuelrx

We have indeed. Nevermind the massive variety of British beers and ales, there are some wonderful continetal brews available. I particularly like Pelforth and Jeanlain from France, and Afflingem from Belgium as well as the various superb Czech beers, Urquell, Budvar etc.
Some months ago my eldest son had a night out with friends in Cambridge, staying with them overnight. The following morning he asked to be brought home as he was feeling "poorly". My wife, thoughtfully, put some plastic bags in the back of the car, just in case. It was a very good idea, as he needed them!
A couple of weeks later he bought me a bottle of Belgian Trappistenbier (330cl), which I enjoyed whilst watching some football. It was delicious, really nice, but I could feel my cheeks glowing as I drank it. After I'd finished it I told him how good it was (and I can't even begin to do so in words) he told me to read the label, whereupon I found that it was 9.2% alcohol. No wonder my cheeks were glowing! He then told me that the night he was unwell he'd had three bottles before his pals had arrived! A litre at 9.2% to start the night! No wonder he was ill!

I had recently eaten at a place called Dogfish Head brewing & eats. It is the restaurant of Dogfish head brewery if you are familiar with the company (If you are not I highly suggest them. Good beer all around.) They had some beers there they don't distribute nation-wide. I had a stout and an IPA they carried there. Both were 15-20% alcohol. I normally drink for taste only, but I had to give it a try. I had never had any beer above 9%. They were good, but nothing I would drink regularly. Needless to say, I was in a good mood afterwards. :biggrin:

Tilton

Elite Member
I had recently eaten at a place called Dogfish Head brewing & eats. It is the restaurant of Dogfish head brewery if you are familiar with the company (If you are not I highly suggest them. Good beer all around.) They had some beers there they don't distribute nation-wide. I had a stout and an IPA they carried there. Both were 15-20% alcohol. I normally drink for taste only, but I had to give it a try. I had never had any beer above 9%. They were good, but nothing I would drink regularly. Needless to say, I was in a good mood afterwards. :biggrin:

If it wasn't the one in Rehoboth, you missed out. That's the best of the lot and, I believe, the only one actually owned by Dogfish Head. Excellent place, though, with very good beers.

immanuelrx

If it wasn't the one in Rehoboth, you missed out. That's the best of the lot and, I believe, the only one actually owned by Dogfish Head. Excellent place, though, with very good beers.

It was the one in Rehoboth. They said that was the only Dogfish head restaurant. It is amazing! I just go for the beer, but the food is good as well. They just featured a coffee stout called "Mr. Bean" this month. It is delicious!

Acct2000

Connoisseur - Moderator
Chouan, the only British beers I've had are the Samuel Smith and a Gooseberry beer from Scotland. They were both phenonmenal!

Immanuelrx, I love coffee stouts!

Tilton

Elite Member
It was the one in Rehoboth. They said that was the only Dogfish head restaurant. It is amazing! I just go for the beer, but the food is good as well. They just featured a coffee stout called "Mr. Bean" this month. It is delicious!

Well, there are some franchised spots around DC - they are called "Dogfish Head Alehouse." Good for burgers and hanging around, but the food isn't half as good as the Rehoboth spot. For a while, I lived about a $7 cab ride from the Falls Church location, so I was somewhat of a regular. The upside is they carry all of the hard-to-get beers. I think there is one in Rockville, too.

Kingstonian

When the term is coupled with the outright controlling of politicians, the political machinery of a state and other nonsense then I think it should invite some scrutiny.

I agree, although they will not welcome such scrutiny.

Furthermore, a system of checks and balances should be put in place,with a cap on what can be spent, to prevent the buying of politicians.

SG_67

Connoisseur
I agree, although they will not welcome such scrutiny.

Furthermore, a system of checks and balances should be put in place,with a cap on what can be spent, to prevent the buying of politicians.

There is a system of checks and balances. It's called elections. That people are apathetic and go into the voting booth and vote based on identity, religion, race or whatever other reason or rationale that informs their opinion, then we end up with what we have. I don't see the stifling of free speech as a means of codifying a responsibility that rests with the electorate.

By the way, I feel this way about any elected official. Be it someone with whom I agree with politically or those that I disagree with. I don't cast my vote based on race, religion, claims of piety but rather I will do my homework by looking at their platform and their previous public service record (votes cast, etc.).

Kingstonian

There is a system of checks and balances. It's called elections. That people are apathetic and go into the voting booth and vote based on identity, religion, race or whatever other reason or rationale that informs their opinion, then we end up with what we have. I don't see the stifling of free speech as a means of codifying a responsibility that rests with the electorate.

It is not stifling of free speech.

It is a limit on million dollar propaganda offensives. It is not OK for rich people to just buy a political outcome.

"Politicians are put there to give you the illusion of choice"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q

SG_67

Connoisseur
It is not stifling of free speech.

It is a limit on million dollar propaganda offensives. It is not OK for rich people to just buy a political outcome.

"Politicians are put there to give you the illusion of choice"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q

Are you suggesting that people are gulled into voting a particular way because of an ad put out either by a rich person or organization? If so, then the voter gets what he deserves.

By the way, there are plenty of cases where the big money did not make the impact it was intended to.

SG_67

Connoisseur
That is an unsavoury outlook on the political process.

A shyster's charter.

Perhaps, but freedom entails a sense of responsibility. Government by it's very nature is going to be subject to corruption and inefficiency. This goes back to antiquity. It is sad, but it is also human and therefore to suggest a system where it can be suppressed is a fool's errand.

The best we can do is put it to the voter. Despite all failings, shortcomings and other faults, we usually get it right in the end.

The political process is by it's very nature an unsavory one where people involved often have to make choices they are not completely comfortable with. Bargaining and compromise are the essence of politics.

immanuelrx

I was once employed by Samuel Smith, a proper old fashioned brewery with dray horses making deliveries in the town.

My goodness. If Samuel Smith delivered in where I lived I would be broke. What are a few of your favorite SS beers Shaver? I am sure you have tried your fair share.

Last edited:

Shaver

Suspended
My goodness. If Samuel Smith delivered in where I lived I would be broke. What are a few of your favorite SS flavors Shaver?

I do not drink ales, I never really acquired a taste for it. However, those in the know, always spoke highly of the acclaimed Taddy Porter.

Samuel+Smith's+Taddy+Porter.jpg

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.