frankmartin

I work in an office environment where an OCBD, jeans, and sneakers are typical attire. I generally wear an OCBD, khakis, and plain toe bluchers/penny loafers/blucher mocs/camp mocs.

I’d like to start wearing a jacket when it cools down. I’d like a very casual navy jacket with trad elements. I don’t want to wear a full on wool blazer. I have one of those. I’m looking for something unstructured but good looking which won't garner a great deal of attention. I'd like to use this jacket as a stepping stone. I'll wear it for awhile, then I may wear my blazer instead. I'd like to see if I can make it all the way to wearing a jacket and tie without anyone noticing.

Ideally, I think what I’m looking for would be made of navy 8.5 oz cotton twill similar to the fabric in a pair of proper Bills Kahakis. I'm looking for a navy cotton jacket which has these attributes:

· unstructured
· undarted
· Patch pockets.
· 3 roll 2
· center vent
· ideally not letter sized
· no brass buttons

I probably can’t have all those things, so I listed them in order of importance to me.

I see lots of these things around. Most of them are darted. I don’t care for darts. I’m not opposed to something designated as a travel blazer or hybrid sport coat. Being machine washable would not be a turnoff.

I actually ordered one of these, just to see if I would like it in person. It either appears to have side vents or no vents at all, but does seem to appeal to me in a number of ways.

https://www.travelsmith.com/hybrid-cotton-jacket/men/blazers-sport-coats/826525

I’m looking for other suggestions about what might be similar to what I am looking for in the marketplace.
The more i think about it, tt really doesn't have to be navy. I suppose a nice olive green or equally conservative color would work as well.

Thanks!

Himself

I like the J. Keydge Slack Jacket at lot. A couple of friends have them that they bought on trips to the UK.

https://www.jkeydge.com/en/21-ivy-slack-jacket-

Currently not offered in khaki color, but look for previous years' stock. I think it's darted, but has a center vent and very nice shoulders and overall cut.

I wouldn't be afraid of letter sizes. Try them on! You may luck out with a perfect fit.

This style comes and goes from almost every brand. Check the mall! You mentioned Bills Khakis -- they've had them too.

Last edited:

roman totale XVII

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Keydge all the way. Totally unstructured and can be easily dressed up or down. Some of their models are darted. The one you need is called the Ivy; 3/2, patch pockets, sack cut.

frankmartin

I like the J. Keydge Slack Jacket at lot. A couple of friends have them that they bought on trips to the UK.

https://www.jkeydge.com/en/21-ivy-slack-jacket-

Currently not offered in khaki color, but look for previous years' stock. I think it's darted, but has a center vent and very nice shoulders and overall cut.

I wouldn't be afraid of letter sizes. Try them on! You may luck out with a perfect fit.

This style comes and goes from almost every brand. Check the mall! You mentioned Bills Khakis -- they've had them too.
Keydge all the way. Totally unstructured and can be easily dressed up or down. Some of their models are darted. The one you need is called the Ivy; 3/2, patch pockets, sack cut.

Thanks guys! This is EXACTLY what i was looking for!!! Is there anywhere to buy these in the US? Research indicates that J Press stocked them once upon a time. Any sizing recommendations? I'm assuming that J. Keydge will ship to the US since they have a dollar currency option on their website. Does anyone know if John Simons in London will ship to the US? Thanks sooooo much!!!

roman totale XVII

The cuts vary a little year to year. They used to be true to size, but shrunk a bit a few years ago. The last ones I bought were from 2015 and they were heading back towards how they were. The best bet is to contact John Simons - they are very helpful and will also knock off UK VAT to ship to the States (makes the postage more or less 'free'). For the record, I'm a 43" chest and take a EUR56.

alkydrinker

There is a company in the UK - called Hardy and Johnson - making unstructured, 3/2, undarted, hook/center vent, patch pocket jackets.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hardyandjohnson/

There is a summer navy with limited size availability, as well as plenty of fall tweed and corduroy options. It'd be nice if there was a website showing exactly what was available in what sizes, but right now you just need to scroll through their Facebook feed to see the fabrics and then message them about size availability.

The jackets are in numeric sizes, but no S/R/L sizes. Measurements are listed, and fall between a R and L.

I emailed them awhile ago about ordering from the US and got the following info:

You can order direct from us, we accept Paypal at [email protected]

The price is £250+£15 shipping to the USA.

I have not purchased one of these jackets myself, but am seriously considering it. The FNB Talk Ivy forum has a long thread about Hardy and Johnson including some pics of forum members wearing the jackets.

Last edited:

HerrDavid

Does anyone have experience with recent versions of Keydge's slack jacket? I'm wondering how short/long they run. (I know there's been variation on this front in the past.)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange