Justin

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Allright, I recently picked up a used suit and noticed something about it. on the right front of the pants there is an extra belt loop. It's only about 1.75 inches from the next one.

Is there a particular reason for this or is this just an oddity of the suit? The only identifying marks are the virgin wool label and a dry clean only label, so those aren't of any help.

The pants are for a 3 piece suit that I would guess to be a early to mid 70's vintage. The legs have a very slight flare to them, the lapels come in at a tick over 4" wide, and it has moderate to heavy waist suppression.

I like the suit and it fits me great, this odd belt loop just has me stumped.

Justin

Last edited:

Mattdeckard

One of the things I'm doing on the Deckard & Newcastle Label is the extra belt loop on my designs. What it has done for me in the past has been to keep that belt buckle at the same level as the waistband. Many companies put the loops pretty far from the fly, with a setup like the one pictured, you have no problem with the buckle wandering above or below the waistline.

thinman

IME, this "extra" belt loop is characteristic of trousers made by Oxxford. You might compare the construction with those of Oxxford trousers, if you own or can find a pair.

ChicagoTrad

IME, this "extra" belt loop is characteristic of trousers made by Oxxford. You might compare the construction with those of Oxxford trousers, if you own or can find a pair.
My Oxxfords have this as well - little closer together than what is in the picture, but there is an extra loop on that side.

Justin

Well, I put the pants on with a belt fished left handed and the tip of the belt is exactly under the extra belt loop. Wonder if the original owner of the suit was left handed and had it made this way.

Not being able to see the end of the belt really does clean up the overall look even more.

Justin

rip

Advanced Member
That's a standard for Oxxford pants. Unfortunately, for most of us, it's on the wrong side, where the buckle is, so it serves no function of keeping the tongue of the belt in place and makes it difficult to properly align some buckles.

Justin

Well, I doubt they're actual Oxxford pants due to the lack of any sort of tag or label. But from the input, it'll be easy enough to just wear my belt left handed with this suit since it really does look better not being able to see the free end of the belt.

Thanks for all the input!

Justin

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.