marshtj

I'm getting ready to order a new pair of the from Shopthefinest and have a question about their different lines. Is there a difference in quality between the 2 shoes below (are they from different lines)?

Pair 1:

Pair 2:

Pair one has the blue sole and triple nail clusters on the heal, but is this indicative of their higher range?

Tonyp

Inactive user
One pair is bench made and usually sells retail fro $995 or higher. Depending on when the shoe was made will often determine whether it has a colored sole. you should PM Scott Hill and ask him. He is selling the sutor line of shoes and would have the best info.

marshtj

I should have added that I prefer the shape of the 2nd pair, but not by much. Just looking for the best value for my dollar.

Scott Hill

Inactive user
I'm getting ready to order a new pair of the from Shopthefinest and have a question about their different lines. Is there a difference in quality between the 2 shoes below (are they from different lines)?

Pair 1:

Pair 2:

Pair one has the blue sole and triple nail clusters on the heal, but is this indicative of their higher range?
The first shoe is newer and has the new sole coloration. All Mantellassi shoes have this blue sole for the last two+ years. Thi first shoe is "Good Year" construction and is normally 25-30% more expensive. Good Year construction is a construction that has a slim rubber mid sole between the sole and the outer sole. This transmits to comfort and longevity. Also, this construction is more expensive.

The second shoe is " Blake" construction. Also made by mantellassi; but geared to their opening range customer. Both are nice shoes and both are a good value. As you are anticipating buying from a reputable "jobber" you are buying the shoes at less than 1/2 of their cost and 25-30% of their traditional retail... I would agree with Tony that they are a good value. I would go with the "Good Year" construction; which is a much nicer quality that will last for years.

Blue shoe trees in the picture are plastic. Good travel trees in a suitcase to hold the shoes form ; when you travel.. and light weight but serve no other function. Mantellassi makes a wood (cedar) tree for bespoke shoes and I can always help you secure a pair in your size to fit your new shoes.

Although these shoes are 2-3 years old.. they are new and a good value.. Especially for a basic blutcher.. I would encourage you to look at the new styles on the Sutor Mantellassi web site: www.SutorMantellassi.it . Cap toes etc have been streamlined ( but not too extreme) and there are many new features.. like "anticato finishes" that are superb. Mantellassi is the factory that makes the sartorial shoes for Tom Ford.

If I can be of service; I can be reached through the PM function on the "Ask Andy" site.

Good luck! Scott Hill

Last edited:

Scott Hill

Inactive user
Sorry, my post ended up in the quote section of your original question. I hope you find it and I am sorry for not responding in the proper format. I am sure you will find it ; in your original section..
Scott Hill
Scott Hill Bespoke Designs

Scott Hill

Inactive user
Since late 2006 and early 2007; all Sutor Mantellassi shoes have new packaging and a new "signature" blue sole. This applies to both Blake , Good Year, and Noweigan stitching construction. Just a signature detail.. nothing more.
Scott Hill

Scott Hill

Inactive user
This is called "Anticato" finishing.. the darkening of the toe box detail and other seams on the shoe... it is a controlled process that cam be manipulated on each different style.. depending on the area you might want to have antiqued.

Looks great in different color washes.. Scott Hill
Scott Hill Bespoke Designs

Scott Hill

Inactive user
Sorry, but the second shoe retails for $595. Still a good deal for this gentleman.. but "Blake" construction is considerably less expensive than the "Good Year" construction. You're right about the first shoe's retail.

As far as blue sole indicating "top of the line" .. this is not exactly the case.. Sorry, but the blue sole is just a marketing detail and has nothing to do with the construction of either "opening range" Blake construction or top tier.. Good Year and Norweigan construction... All production as of late 2006 now features the "blue sole"..

Hope this helps . Scott

Scott Hill

Inactive user
Plastic travel shoe tree.. light weight for a suitcase.. but perform no other function. Bespoke shoes all come with cedar wood shoe trees. Plastic is cool for travel only.. or in a pinch; until you secure a pair of wood trees after your purchase. Good Luck.

peterc

The SM shoe is very hard on the foot - no padding at all inside and the sole is made of very hard leather, unlike, say AE which are made with a softer leather and are much softer to walk on.

Scott Hill

Inactive user
Peter.. it must be some time since you have tried on a Sutor Mantellassi shoe. Sutor Mantellassi makes Good Year construction which is like walking on air. Their construction is very comfortable and the inner linings of the shoes are "saddle leather" smooth and very supple. The shoes are very comfortable and only have a day or two "break in" period. After a day, the inner lining molds to your foot and their "signature" Oasis leather is one of the most comfortable I've ever worn. Possibly you tried on or purchased a "Blake" construction shoe from Mantellassi.. which is not Good Year construction and targted to Dept stores or retailers that do not have a customer for the top tier quality. Mantellassi is one of the finest shoes made in Italy and I find it hard to have posts like this, diminish their reputation as it relates to comfort. The information (although your humble opinion) is not the whole picture. I post this as I don't want readers on this site to be given the wrong information about comfort.

peterc

Peter.. it must be some time since you have tried on a Sutor Mantellassi shoe. Sutor Mantellassi makes Good Year construction which is like walking on air. Their construction is very comfortable and the inner linings of the shoes are "saddle leather" smooth and very supple. The shoes are very comfortable and only have a day or two "break in" period. After a day, the inner lining molds to your foot and their "signature" Oasis leather is one of the most comfortable I've ever worn. Possibly you tried on or purchased a "Blake" construction shoe from Mantellassi.. which is not Good Year construction and targted to Dept stores or retailers that do not have a customer for the top tier quality. Mantellassi is one of the finest shoes made in Italy and I find it hard to have posts like this, diminish their reputation as it relates to comfort. The information (although your humble opinion) is not the whole picture. I post this as I don't want readers on this site to be given the wrong information about comfort.
Clearly, the shoes I have are not the Goodyear welted ones you speak of. I bought them at Saks in 2002. List was $600.00. I paid $300, they were marked down twice. I still think they are gorgeous looking shoes, make no mistake, but they are simply not that comfortable, at least to me. I dispute nothing you say. Also, the sole on mine is not blue.

I did not mean to offend.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.