Three Button

I have a heavy beard and enjoy the closeness of shaving with a razor blade. Currently, I use the Fusion by Gilette. For various reasons, I am thinking of switching to an electric razor. I know little about them except that when I used them in the past they provided nowhere near the close shave I get with a blade. Have things changed? Is there now an electric razor that is good for heavy beards and provides a reasonably close shave?

Thanks.

Dripp

My reply has nothing to do with an electric razor, but about 5 years ago I switched to a time tested, fantastic way to shave - and get extraordinarily close shaves. Its the old double edge safety razor, a badger brush and some shaving cream from a tub, not a can. I can't say enough about it, but here's a great forum to do some reading if it may interest you.

www.badgerandblade.com

TheGreatTwizz

Elite Member
I wore a beard for the past year and a half (groomed to a metal #2 blade). In short, there isn't a single electric I know of that can mow down a heavy beard of a week or more of growth. On the flip side, you could trim to the closest setting on your trimmers, then use the electric.

I'd be curious to hear response, as I'm having trouble with my Fusion since I've gone au naturel (sic). B&B is a great forum, and I lurk there occasionally.

Canadian

I shave with a Mach 3 during most days. If I am going somewhere where a 5 o'clock shadow is acceptable, I simply use an electric and shave to the desired effect.

I have a rather heavy beard and find a Gillette is the ideal solution. I've been a Mach 3 user for years and have yet to try the Fusion or the Shick Quattro.

Tom

Pr B

I'd been shaving with a Fusion for a couple years now.
On a lark (Amazon had a great Christmas sale!), I bought a Panasonic wet/dry electric shaver. After about a week of shaving with it in the shower, I happily put my Fusion into storage.

lt114

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Go pick up a Merkur HD, some Tabac soap, a blade sample pack, and a brush. Trust me, this will be one of the best decisions you've made.

ada8356

I've tried pretty much everything - electrics, gillette sensor, mach 3, and fusion.

The only thing that gives me satisfactory results is the double edge. Once I tried the Merkur HD I was finally able to quit looking.

TheGreatTwizz

Elite Member
Since we're on the topic....any input as to the DE vs straight? I understand there is a harder learning curve with the straight, but I'd think it would be more enjoyable.

blairrob

I have a heavy beard and enjoy the closeness of shaving with a razor blade. Currently, I use the Fusion by Gilette. For various reasons, I am thinking of switching to an electric razor. I know little about them except that when I used them in the past they provided nowhere near the close shave I get with a blade. Have things changed? Is there now an electric razor that is good for heavy beards and provides a reasonably close shave?

Thanks.
Like you, I had given up on electrics some time ago because they were not shaving close enough and thus used a ST badger brush and Crabtree and Evelyn cream. A year ago I decided to try again and purchased a top end Phillips and I have to say it is very very good. I have a heavy beard and sensitive skin and it does a very good job. I now very between the 2 daily but could easily go longer with the electric. I now recommend them whereas I did not 10 or 15 years ago.

Blair

lt114

Since we're on the topic....any input as to the DE vs straight? I understand there is a harder learning curve with the straight, but I'd think it would be more enjoyable.
Start out with a DE. If you like it, then pick up a straight. For me, DE is the way to go.

Leighton

I only shave with a DE with badger and soap. Makes the job a pleasurable experience.
I agree. But back to OT, I recently read a post where someone calculated the lifetime costs of shaving and the electric razor was actually pretty cheap. I think the guy came out with a cost similar to a DE. A straight was the cheapest. No idea what numbers he used.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.