Men's Clothing Forums banner

Tapatalk - Cannot Find AAAC

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  iam.mike 
#1 ·
I need a little assistance. A few months ago AAAC disappeared from Tapatalk and I can no longer find it. I’ve tried everything right down to uninstalling the app and reinstalling. What’s the deal? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
I can provide no assistance other than to say it's not just you. I have the same issue but I just gave up and access the site via Chrome.
Thank you. Misery loves company. 😂 At least I know it's not just me. If anyone has any remedies I'd love to hear them. Tired of not being able to post pics.

#5 ·
Keep in mind that unless something has changed, when integrating XenForo 1.x with Tapatalk, you're essentially providing a public API for your forum that bypasses many of the security and spam prevention mechanisms built into XenForo. Additionally, you're sending all your content--public and private--to Tapatalk's servers. I haven't tested this on other forum software or versions, but I assume it's a similar story elsewhere. (The intention was for Tapatalk to look at the user IDs of the people involved and send out push notifications as appropriate, but it was still extremely intrusive, and there are better ways to go about that.)

Shortly after our forum was featured in Tapatalk, we noticed a surge of suspicious registrations, as well as content from those users that bypassed our spam checks. Further investigation revealed that they were part of a spam campaign that was abusing Tapatalk. Initially we hoped to rewrite the add-on so that it didn't bypass all the spam and security checks in XenForo; however, due to the manner in which Tapatalk interfaced with forums, there was no way for us to run our own checks, and Tapatalk's checks during registration were inadequate.

The main concern that I have with Tapatalk is how secure our database data is when Tapatalk is installed. Tapatalks privacy policy is particularly worrisome when we apply it to the access of TT to our database:
The information, including PII, we receive from you through the Service may be used or shared by us with third parties including marketing businesses, lead generation businesses, and our corporate affiliates (collectively "Affiliates"). We may also use this information to deliver to you information about our company and promotional material from some of our partners, trend analysis, pattern detection, and site administration. Your information may also be used to contact you when necessary. Users may opt-out of receiving future mailings from Company and other entities by following the instructions set forth in the Email Opt-Out section below.

In addition, there may be instances when Tapatalk may access or disclose PII or Non-PII, including under the following circumstances: (i) to protect or defend the legal rights or property of Tapatalk and its Affiliates; (ii) to protect the safety and security of users of the Service or members of the public including acting in urgent circumstances; (iii) to protect against fraud or for risk management purposes; or (iv) to comply with applicable law or legal process. In addition, if Tapatalk sells all or part of its business or sells or transfers all or a material part of its assets, or is otherwise involved in a merger or transfer of all or a material part of its business, we may transfer your PII or Non-PII to the party or parties involved in the transaction as part of that transaction.
With the current privacy policy, Tapatalk can basically sell our databases data to anyone it wants and use the data as it pleases. Basically we give our valuable data to TT without any restriction.

That's we removed Tpatalk from the forum.

#6 ·
@rbstc123 - In addition to what @Todo10 stated, our main issue with Tapatalk was that it constantly hi-jacked our mobile site visitors, always trying to get people to download THEIR mobile app. It was annoying at best, and 100% self-serving to TapaTalk.

Also, they made it more difficult than it needed to be to simply disable all their "download" banners, and every time there was a software update, they changed the settings back to default :mad:

The only reason we ever used Tapatalk was because the mobile phone experience of our old forum software was pretty bad.

With our new forum software, and the most recent upgrade, the mobile user-experience is so much better, that there is little need for TapaTalk.

As far as pictures, you should be able to post them on mobile (via chrome/safari/etc.) without any issues. If you do [have issues], please let me know and we can look into it together. If I'm not around, please ask @Todo10 for help.

#8 ·
To my disappointment, I accurately prophesied of my disconnection with this forum due to a lack of push notifications.

The information, experiences and conversations here are invaluable, but those push notifications fought for some of my attention in the modern world. Without tapatalk support, this is absent.

And while this forum does cross my mind quite often, it’s rarely at a time when I’m able to correspond, since I’m quite unfamiliar with the mobile experience and takes some extra mental effort (read: time).

Those little red badges really kept me active here. I hope there’s a push notification solution in the near future.

I’m unopposed to downloading a separate browser or 3rd party software if it means I can get back into this group from my iPhone.

#9 ·
@Clintotron - I'd like to learn a little more about your use of push notifications.

Generally speaking, a notification occurs when you're following a thread.

In our current platform, you can have notifications via email, alerts, or both. From a desktop computer, via a browser, if you enable Push Notifications, alerts will come via a desktop push notification (normally in the lower right).

If you're following a thread, and considering we don't have push notifications on mobile phones yet, why wouldn't you opt for an email notification?

We're definitely looking into offering a mobile app with push notifications, but I'm just curious how you use them, so I can better understand how we can help you get the notifications you're looking for.

#10 ·
Tapatalk would notify me of the same actions that are displayed above in this Safari iOS browser. The reason I don’t use email as a notification method is because I get many emails all day and I don’t check my email too often because of the frequency they’re received.

There’s no way to filter out what I’m notified of—and if there is, I’m not interested. I like the way it’s set up now.

I just really miss being notified of replies to threads I’m following, replies to my comments, and new threads posted by my friends.

#12 ·
Hi @Clintotron, good to hear from you again.

The answer is yes & no.

I've tracked down a solution that will allow us to provide a mobile app on iOS & Android.

The only obstacle we're running into is the cost related to offering the mobile app.

It's not terribly expensive, however, it does add a yearly recurring expense that we'd have to absorb, plus the cost & time to support it and keep the app updated.

If we could find a way to recoup the costs involved, we'd definitely want to offer the option, but so far I haven't been able to figure out how we can do that.

We never had that many members using the Tapatalk app (<100) , so I'm trying to figure out a way to support the overhead involved in offering a mobile app for AAAC.

If you have any thoughts/ideas, I surely would welcome them.

#13 ·
Can we get a breakdown of what it would cost as a one time purchase and as a yearly subscription? I'd offer to meet the needs of others to help with maintaining their access to this valuable resource. Surely tasteful ad integration should deflect most of the cost.
This site is an escape more than a necessity for me, so the notifications are the savior in this scenario.
Thank you for all that you do for us.

#14 ·
@Clintotron - I'll try to keep this as simple as possible, but it gets a little involved.

Native App Support

To provide native mobile app support for Android & iPhone, the recurring cost is around $250-$350/year.

If there are one-time costs, they aren't very much.

However, there is a good amount of human-time involved in getting everything setup and maintained, which would likely fall on me.

I'm just guessing, but likely at a minimum of 10-15 person-hours to do all the sign-ups, configurations, uploads to & setup in app stores, reviews, testing, etc. That's not including any post setup support that will likely be required to help users with potential issues with the app itself.

The app we have in mind does not currently offer in-app banner placements, so we can't recoup any costs there. Plus, you'd be surprised at how very little demand-network ads pay.

They pay based on every 1k impressions, so if there are only a small number of people using the app, even if we could get one or more ad banner placements in the app, the revenue would likely be so small that it wouldn't really cover any costs.

PWA - A Possible Alternative, but no iPhone support

Separately, in the next release of our forum software, they are introducing a light-app option (called PWA) which would allow us to give a semi-app experience on mobile phones. This includes the notifications from what I understand.

Unfortunately, Apple, in all their walled-garden glory, aren't yet offering support for the PWA technology on their iOS operating system. So this new option won't yet work on iPhones -- only Android.

I was hopeful the PWA would be a built-in option that we could use in lieu of a full mobile app, but since it doesn't work on iOS (iphone, ipad), it's not a fully viable solution for us.

So, our only available option to support iOS & Android is the one above (Native App Support).

#16 ·
while Apple doesn't fully offer PWA support through Safari, it may work through Chrome
If you want to test it, you could try visiting this link, where it shows how to install a PWA for the Xenforo Community forum.

They are running the alpha version of their next release which includes support for PWA. We use Xenforo here.

Maybe you can visit that link from within Chrome on your iPhone, and then see if you get the option to "install" it. That would be the first thing.

After that, to test if notifications worked, you'd have to create an account on their forum, and watch an active thread to see if you get the little notification bubble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.