AJW

Greetings.

First Post, though I've been reading for quite some time. On my way to class today, the right shirtsleeve of my BB OCBD was caught on a wall-mounted fire extinguisher and took a nasty gash. The shirt is only a few months old, so I'm wondering if I could repair or repurpose it. The tear is in the upper arm and is quite severe, so I can't imagine it could simply be sewn closed, or am I wrong? Also, patching comes to mind, though I don't believe I've ever seen an OCBD patched...

Any ideas?

Yodan731

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I would just sew it closed and wear under sweaters, mowing the lawn, drinking beer in my basement, or wherever. Maybe even with a sportcoat and tie, just leave the jacket on. No sense wasting a good shirt.

mjo_1

^ Agreed - I'd give it over to sweater duty or to (very) casual use. If you're able roll the sleeves without seeing the rip too much, then it could be worn in the summer.

I know your disappointment - I felt the same way when the shoulder seam blew out on my relatively new Press OCBD a while back.

straw sandals

I'd get a tailor to sew a rectangular square of fabric to the inside of the shirt around the outside of the tear. That will stabilize it without altering the length of the sleeves. I agree with the gents above; weekend lounging would be best.

dbhdbhdbh

Stitch it with matching thread and it will be fine for any occasion where you will keep your jacket on. If you cannot sew at all give it to someone to do for you, but it hardly requires the skills of a tailor. Your friendly cleaners can do it just fine.

Snow Hill Pond

Elite Member
I would sew the rip up myself (badly) and use the OCBD as a night shirt. Otherwise, use it as a rag.

To use it as an undershirt in public can be tricky, because there will come a time where you'll have to remove your outer garment and potentially be embarassed.

AJW

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably try to sew to hole shut the best I can and keep it around for... Well I'm not sure, but tossing it seems wrong. I agree that wearing it under a jacket could lead to a bad situation. I guess I'll just have to take advantage of the 40% off 4 shirts on Boxing Day!

Christophe

You could probably have a tailor cut a strip from the shirt-tail and patch it to keep it from getting much worse. If you always wear your shirt tucked in, it's good. You can casually wear the sleeves rolled up in warm weather, and under sweaters in the winter. Good old Yankee thrift!

Topsider

Honors Member
Will you be buying a replacement shirt for him then? :icon_smile:
I'm sure someone here will alert us to the next sale at BB.

Part of thrift involves recognizing when something is damaged beyond the point of serving its intended purpose, like the difference between buying clothes at the thrift stores and looking like you buy your clothes at the thrift stores.

Wear a frayed shirt? Yes, in certain situations, with certain items, and assuming the fraying was acquired through honest wear. Wear a ripped/damaged shirt? Not outside of yard work or something.

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^LOL.
Is it not standard practice for all "real Trads" :devil: to repourpose damaged or worn shirts for casual and/or fatigue-wear duty. To do anything else would be...well, it would be needlessly wasteful! :eek:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.