Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
My grandfather was the only one I knew who used a spoon. When I was small, Mom cut it up short but at some point I grew offended by the idea and grandpa taught me how to wind up the pasta on a fork. Eventually, using a spoon became simply a nuisance and I switched to the plate. My wife and kids ended up copying me and i don't know if any of them ever tried the spoon method.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Against the plate! I'm Italian and have never seen a family member use a spoon! Ever!

I do have to say, all of us men have had red stains on our shirts for years. The wimmen? Well, let's just say that the mores I was raised in, had the men eat first, with the wimmen staying back in the kitchen and I don't remember them having stains.

I do remember one time I was being extra careful to not get sauce on myself. When we were done, I bragged that I was stain free, until a young lady that was with us, burst out laughing and pointing to stains under my arm pit and on my collar. I guess the perils on not using a spoon?
Didn't all the people at the various feasts in The Godfather tuck their napkins into their collars? I didn't pay much attention, not being much of a movie fan. I do remember, though, that tucking your napkin into your collar was somehow declasé in my family. Though it would have made the laundry a lot easier!

Howard

Connoisseur
Didn't all the people at the various feasts in The Godfather tuck their napkins into their collars? I didn't pay much attention, not being much of a movie fan. I do remember, though, that tucking your napkin into your collar was somehow declasé in my family. Though it would have made the laundry a lot easier!

Putting a napkin on your lap is good so that no meatballs would fall onto the floor.

Big T

I believe you are correct.

My mother, grandmothers and aunts would all tuck our napkins into our collars, no matter what we were eating. Our holidays were a Roman feast, of pasta, meatballs, ham, turkey & stuffing, mashed potatoes, vegetables and salads. What was really absent, was a dessert (oh, my childhood was so disadvantaged).

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
Well done, good sir, but it strikes me as odd that while we have the collection of Godfather DVD's in our video cabinet, I could not have answered (with any degree of certainty) the question raised in Oldsarge's post that you quoted and that you were able to answer. I guess I had better pay closer attention, next time we watch one of those DVD's. LOL/ ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur

^^
Well done, good sir, but it strikes me as odd that while we have the collection of Godfather DVD's in our video cabinet, I could not have answered (with any degree of certainty) the question raised in Oldsarge's post that you quoted and that you were able to answer. I guess I had better pay closer attention, next time we watch one of those DVD's. LOL/ ;)
While I've seen it God knows how many times, I can't speak for every scene, but in the scene where Michael kills the police captain, the captain had tucked his napkin into his collar.

Big T

However, it fails to protect your Drake necktie. I think that since face masks have be come de rigeur, we should consider making the lobster bib universal. 😁
I have absolutely no issue with a lobster bib (or any other)! I have lost count on the number of shirts that have come back from the cleaners tagged "extra effort, but ineffective"!

Anyhow, I value eating far more than the clothes (which I value very highly)!

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I have absolutely no issue with a lobster bib (or any other)! I have lost count on the number of shirts that have come back from the cleaners tagged "extra effort, but ineffective"!

Anyhow, I value eating far more than the clothes (which I value very highly)!
It's a cultural handicap. The only thing that saved me was that being an elementary school teacher, I lived in polo shirts and jeans all the time. The only time the dress shirts met pasta sauce was at Thanksgiving.

TKI67

The dangers of pasta are matched or exceeded by soups, especially clear soups. I remember business lunches in the '80s when Hermes ties were all the rage and $75 per. On days I knew I was going to have a business lunch at either a place with good soup or good pasta I wore a bowtie, usually a neat. My natty comrades ended up with what was often in effect a $75 surcharge on their soup or pasta!

Big T

It's a cultural handicap. The only thing that saved me was that being an elementary school teacher, I lived in polo shirts and jeans all the time. The only time the dress shirts met pasta sauce was at Thanksgiving.
My wife was elementary, now she is a middle school teacher, and she can go in with something brand spanking new & and return like she spent a week at hunting camp.

Decades of that sort of career has her not changing clothes when she returns home and tackles other tasks. Me, a stain means a donation to Goodwill!

eagle2250

My wife was elementary, now she is a middle school teacher, and she can go in with something brand spanking new & and return like she spent a week at hunting camp.

Decades of that sort of career has her not changing clothes when she returns home and tackles other tasks. Me, a stain means a donation to Goodwill!
Stains are like the battle ribbons on a soldiers tunic. Those ribbons tell us where the soldier has been and our food stains can inform as to where and/or what we have eaten. Wear those stains with pride, my friend! LOL. ;)

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
tumblr_oh2gwfuooa1sn35i0o1_640.jpg

Traditionally, flat noodles are Northern and round ones Southern or Sicilian. How true that really is, I don't know. We ate them both and flat ones are easier to make at home. I also once read that certain Northerners scoff at twirling on a fork as a vulgar, Southern habit. I never met anyone, personally, who believed it.

eagle2250

View attachment 48747

Traditionally, flat noodles are Northern and round ones Southern or Sicilian. How true that really is, I don't know. We ate them both and flat ones are easier to make at home. I also once read that certain Northerners scoff at twirling on a fork as a vulgar, Southern habit. I never met anyone, personally, who believed it.
Well I'm a former northerner and I twirl my spaghetti on my fork. As I recall, I've been doing that ever since my dear Mama stopped cutting my noodles into bite size lengths for me! LOL. ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.