TKI67

I lived in Venice a few months in middle school. Restaurants set the table with a large spoon for twirling pasta with the fork, and pretty much everyone, native and nonnative, used them. I don't use a spoon, but I am a twirler. Also, I find fettuccine or linguine easier to manage than spaghetti. I also use bucatini a lot, especially for cacio e pepe or my riff, Hatchio e pepe, cacio e pepe with strips of Hatch peppers and salty country ham. Try it!

For anyone unfamiliar with cacio e pepe, it is like macaroni and cheese but in my estimation better. There are loads of recipes. Here is mine:

Bring a gallon and a half of water with three tablespoons of kosher salt (I use Diamond Crystal, adjust slightly downward for other brands). Grate about a cup of Pecorino Romano. In a large frying pan melt three or four tablespoons of unsalted butter (a European style butter is a serious plus) and grind a good bit of black pepper into the butter. "Toast" the pepper in the butter, but do not let the butter brown. Boil the bucatini. I use De Cecco and boil it the recommended minimum time. Place the boiled bucatini in the peppered butter, sprinkle about a third of the grated cheese over the pasta. Add a ladle of the salty pasta water. Use tongs to turn and mix it all, beginning to melt the cheese and make a peppery, buttery, cheesy, delicious sauce that coats the pasta. Continue with the rest of the cheese in two more batches, adding additional pasta water as needed. Devour the instant it is plated. I use soup plates. If this recipe were better known, Kraft M & C might well be relegated to stoner food!

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I lived in Venice a few months in middle school. Restaurants set the table with a large spoon for twirling pasta with the fork, and pretty much everyone, native and nonnative, used them. I don't use a spoon, but I am a twirler. Also, I find fettuccine or linguine easier to manage than spaghetti. I also use bucatini a lot, especially for cacio e pepe or my riff, Hatchio e pepe, cacio e pepe with strips of Hatch peppers and salty country ham. Try it!

For anyone unfamiliar with cacio e pepe, it is like macaroni and cheese but in my estimation better. There are loads of recipes. Here is mine:

Bring a gallon and a half of water with three tablespoons of kosher salt (I use Diamond Crystal, adjust slightly downward for other brands). Grate about a cup of Pecorino Romano. In a large frying pan melt three or four tablespoons of unsalted butter (a European style butter is a serious plus) and grind a good bit of black pepper into the butter. "Toast" the pepper in the butter, but do not let the butter brown. Boil the bucatini. I use De Cecco and boil it the recommended minimum time. Place the boiled bucatini in the peppered butter, sprinkle about a third of the grated cheese over the pasta. Add a ladle of the salty pasta water. Use tongs to turn and mix it all, beginning to melt the cheese and make a peppery, buttery, cheesy, delicious sauce that coats the pasta. Continue with the rest of the cheese in two more batches, adding additional pasta water as needed. Devour the instant it is plated. I use soup plates. If this recipe were better known, Kraft M & C might well be relegated to stoner food!
Would you consider substituting prosciutto for the country ham? I'm really intrigued though it will have to wait for next year. Hatch chiles have failed to come into my local market this year and I suspect that they're long gone from our local upscale markets. Damn!

Hmmm . . . I wonder how it would work with strips of poblano . . .

TKI67

Would you consider substituting prosciutto for the country ham? I'm really intrigued though it will have to wait for next year. Hatch chiles have failed to come into my local market this year and I suspect that they're long gone from our local upscale markets. Damn!

Hmmm . . . I wonder how it would work with strips of poblano . . .
[/QUOTE:]
I believe prosciutto would be an excellent upgrade. I think poblanos would be fine. We are still getting Hatch chiles in the grocery store. I do not find mild Hatch too different from roasted poblanos or even Anaheims. The spicy Hatch, however, are unique. That is why I try to roast and freeze a bunch. I am also going to try to grow some in the spring.

Big T

Bucatini is one of, if not my favorite pastas! I just might surprise the Mrs. with making this dish (she prefers me to not try cooking).

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.