• 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 16 Tbsp. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1" pieces, divided
  • 2 750-ml bottles red wine
  • Kosher salt
  • 2 lb. spaghetti
  • Finely grated Parmesan (for serving)
PREPARATION:

1. Combine garlic and 3 Tbsp. oil in a small bowl. Heat a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot over medium; pour in garlic and oil. Add red pepper flakes and 2 Tbsp. butter; cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is very fragrant but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add wine, increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until reduced by two-thirds, 20–25 minutes; season with salt. Cover and keep warm.
  2. Meanwhile, cook pasta in a pot of salted boiling water, stirring occasionally, until very al dente, about 3 minutes shy of recommended cook time.
  3. Drain pasta and add to sauce, along with remaining 14 Tbsp. butter. Set pot over medium heat and bring sauce to a simmer. Cook, tossing often, until pasta is well coated and sauce is thickened, about 3 minutes. Taste and season with more salt if needed.
  4. Divide pasta among bowls; drizzle with oil and top with lots of Parmesan.
Courtesy of Bon Apetít

David J. Cooper

How do you eat that? The noodles are long and thick.

I really like a version of a few techniques combined.

Open a 24 oz can of whole 🍅. Dump them in a strainer over a bowl and press them slightly. Add a suitable amount of sliced garlic and pepper flakes to a few tablespoons of cold olive oil. Start to heat slowly to infuse the oil. Do not brown. Add the drained tomato’s and cook. While cooking use a potato masher to break them down. At this point drop a pound of dried spaghetti into boiling salted water.

When the tomato’s have cooked down a bit add the reserved juice. Cook a few minutes longer reduce the heat to very low. Now start adding room temperature butter, as much as you feel comfortable with. At least a half stick. Check the seasoning. I am careful here to not over salt.

Now dump in the cooked pasta and a bit of the cooking water. Add some Parmesan and more butter if you like. A bit of fresh basil or parsley over the top.

Of course the better the tomato’s are the better the results. I use San Marzanos or good Californians.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I do so love beef Bolognese! I think they mix a bit of lean pork into the beef (at least I do) for the slow cooking process to convert the mixture to a gastronomical delight that we desire. The shape of the noodles over which the meat sauce is applied is simply incidental, but whichever noodle shape is used, yum! ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.