Big T

All my life I've lived with them I don't know how to cook for the life of me except microwavable foods.. :(
And you don't think Mom knows that? That is why you taking the effort, would be such a great present in itself! Just follow the instructions (maybe someone here, can suggest a cookbook, with simpler recipes and explicit instructions?).

Howard

Connoisseur
And you don't think Mom knows that? That is why you taking the effort, would be such a great present in itself! Just follow the instructions (maybe someone here, can suggest a cookbook, with simpler recipes and explicit instructions?).
My Mom always wanted me to take up some easy cooking but I'm afraid I will do something wrong and burn the house down (not literally but I'm just saying that) like make hamburgers or spaghetti or even Mac And Cheese.

Big T

With some Italian restaurants, don't they give you garlic breadsticks on the side?
The corporate Italian places do, but the "mom & pop" places generally do something a bit different. Some might give you a few slices of home made bread (our favorite local does this, with a hot olive oil/garlic/marinara dip), another high on our list, gives a few pieces of sliced "bagette" style bread, with a cool, straight olive oil.

Growing up, I don't really remember ever having any bread! Our pasta, was Sunday (grandparents, and we grew up a few blocks from both sets), with red sauce cooked the previous day, pork flavored, meatballs, cooked separate from the sauce, spaghetti #9, as the pasta, occasionally veal cutlets, and then a desert. Pasta during the week, was multiple times, but Ma would cook the meatballs in the sauce, with the same spaghetti #9. No bread, no salad, but desert! I was probably in my late teens, before I tasted stuffed manicotta. Lasagna was very rare, and only by my mother (I was not a fan of her lasagna). Never had seafood (my one grandfather, who was from Palermo, said seafood was for peasants, and we always had veal or pork at his house).

My wife, who 's "Heinz 57" heritage, thinks pasta (since all generations before ours, are now gone), consists of a big salad, mounds of bread, pasta & meatballs and then a three hour nap!

Big T

The Olive Garden, while admittedly a corporate operation, will happily hook you up with your pasta hit and unlimited salad and breadsticks! ;)
Search YouTube for "Katrina Eats Kilos". This is a petite, young lady, that is a competitive eater. Search out her "Olive Garden Unlimited Pasta" challenge. She eats seven bowls of pasta, bread sticks and salad!

TKI67

the only thing I ever thought good about Olive Garden was the breadsticks.
Hard to argue with the addictive qualities of hot, soft bread and garlic! Although I always get the minestrone when I am there, I like home made better, and it is so pathetically simple, just open a bunch of cans!

Howard

Connoisseur
Search YouTube for "Katrina Eats Kilos". This is a petite, young lady, that is a competitive eater. Search out her "Olive Garden Unlimited Pasta" challenge. She eats seven bowls of pasta, bread sticks and salad!

:eek:

If I ate like that I'd be 400 pounds by now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.