Big T

LOL...It is from situations such as that which you describe, from which true love makes itself known! Having spent four years at the University Park campus, I regret having to admit I do not recall the Arena Restaurant. Our family Doc tells me it is because I am getting old; Mrs Eagle tells me I've always had a poor memory; and my granddaughter says it's because I just don't listen. Jeez Louise, those women can be hard on a guy's ego! LOL. ;)
If you were like me, I worked and paid for my education and barely had enough money for a once a week four pack of 16oz. Tiger Head Ale (Schmidts Brewing), for the price of $.85, let alone food or even thinking of eating out!

TKI67

If you were like me, I worked and paid for my education and barely had enough money for a once a week four pack of 16oz. Tiger Head Ale (Schmidts Brewing), for the price of $.85, let alone food or even thinking of eating out!
Taking me back. I was in law school in Oregon, and we lived on $200 a month gross. We ate a lot of lentils, government cheese, and a bushel of apples. We had not picked up more refined drinking tastes but now and then would splurge on a $1.50 bottle of wine.

Big T

Taking me back. I was in law school in Oregon, and we lived on $200 a month gross. We ate a lot of lentils, government cheese, and a bushel of apples. We had not picked up more refined drinking tastes but now and then would splurge on a $1.50 bottle of wine.
Boone's Farm? I was 21 and able to buy wine and liquor, when my older sister was getting married. My tastes for spirits were non-existent, but my father did not know that and he sent me to the PA State Store (only place then to buy spirits) to get wine, mixers and whiskey. Came back with multiple cases of Boone's Farm Apple wine and Strawberry Hill. Whiskey was something like Corby's.

TKI67

Boone's Farm? I was 21 and able to buy wine and liquor, when my older sister was getting married. My tastes for spirits were non-existent, but my father did not know that and he sent me to the PA State Store (only place then to buy spirits) to get wine, mixers and whiskey. Came back with multiple cases of Boone's Farm Apple wine and Strawberry Hill. Whiskey was something like Corby's.
Actually in Oregon you could buy wine direct from the distributor. I recall springing for a half bottle (!) of Mondavi chardonnay (back when California made some great chards). We wrote Mr. Mondavi how much we liked it and still have his reply as a keepsake. BTW, it was $1.69 for the half bottle.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I can certainly identify with your experience. An AFROTC scholarship paid for my tuition, textbooks and lab fees and paid me a $50 monthly subsistence allowance. I had to pay my room and board and any other incidental expenses out of my own funds. Therefore I worked; in the West Halls Student Social Center on campus, signing out table tennis paddles and selling magazines and a variety of soft drinks and snacks, and closed the facility at 2200 hours each night. On weekends, during the school year, I waited tables at the Boalsburg Steakhouse. The tips were good when the Lions played well! On summer vacations I worked for the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and for Woorich Woolen Mills. Life was good! Present day/this year would be a bad year for tips. LOL. ;)

TKI67

I can certainly identify with your experience. An AFROTC scholarship paid for my tuition, textbooks and lab fees and paid me a $50 monthly subsistence allowance. I had to pay my room and board and any other incidental expenses out of my own funds. Therefore I worked; in the West Halls Student Social Center on campus, signing out table tennis paddles and selling magazines and a variety of soft drinks and snacks, and closed the facility at 2200 hours each night. On weekends, during the school year, I waited tables at the Boalsburg Steakhouse. The tips were good when the Lions played well! On summer vacations I worked for the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and for Woorich Woolen Mills. Life was good! Present day/this year would be a bad year for tips. LOL. ;)
Sounds a lot like my experience. The USNR ROC program, washing dishes in the Claremont Men's College and Harvey Mudd College dining halls, and selling clothing at the Village Clothier. In law school it was selling pastries and coffee at school, tending grounds at Willamette University, coaching diving and running the locker room at the rec center, and living off of my wife's job at State of Oregon Personnel Department. Good times indeed.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.