Big T

Meatballs are an American thing. In Italy, nobody eats meatballs.
My grandparents would have either pork, cooked in the sauce, or breaded veal, baked in the oven. One of my grandmothers started making meatballs in her later years, also baked in the oven. Pork, however, was the mainstay.

Near Christmas, I once asked my grandfather about calamari and he unleashed his Half Sicilia, half broken English, of seafood being for the peasants. I sort of snuck out of the room.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
My grandparents were from Bari so being right on the Adriatic, seafood was a natural. Grandma's calamari is a fond memory and Grandfather's canned tuna (Tonno brand only) was a family staple. Still is, though the company is now called Genova.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Pasta is one of the 'primi', the first entrees. Soup, polenta or risotto are other choices. After the prime comes the 'segundi', the main course. It would be meat, poultry or fish, often cooked in the sauce served over the pasta. Spaghetti isn't a meal on it's own.
When cooking up a mess of my homemade spaghetti sauce, I usually cook a mixture of beef and pork in the sauce. The family seems to go a bit crazy over the finished product, so it's a little late to state fiddling with the mix at this point. LOL. ;)

Howard

Connoisseur
Pasta is one of the 'primi', the first entrees. Soup, polenta or risotto are other choices. After the prime comes the 'segundi', the main course. It would be meat, poultry or fish, often cooked in the sauce served over the pasta. Spaghetti isn't a meal on it's own.
But it sure does keep you full.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.