Big T

If you are ever faced with a fusilli recipe, raddiatore is IMO an upgrade.
My grandparents all entered this nation through Ellis Island. I never knew there was any pasta other than ”spaghetti #9” until I was away at college! Our meals were varied by the types and how, meat (pork, veal or beef), was cooked. Though one set of grandparents wereSicilian, they said seafood was for peasant. Chicken? My grandfather, a butcher, would sell it, but never eat it (Why eat an animal that eats its own excremen).

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Early in my life I discovered that instead of spaghetti #9 there was this stuff called capellini. I liked it a lot better. I never did develop a taste for the larger round pasta varieties but the flat ones? Why, yes, I would like seconds, thank-you.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I love any form of pasta, and a cheesy casserole of fusilli sounds awesome. I did the same thing last week with rigatoni. I have to say it's quicker than lasagna.
Good advice for future adventures in the Eagles Roost kitchen.

Early in my life I discovered that instead of spaghetti #9 there was this stuff called capellini. I liked it a lot better. I never did develop a taste for the larger round pasta varieties but the flat ones? Why, yes, I would like seconds, thank-you.
I agree with your preference for flat strap pasta noodles, fluted edges or not, and also harbor a preference for Angel Hair pasta noodles. ;)

Big T

Too many inconsistencies with today’s pasta makers! I love angel hair, but some you buy labeled that way are anything but! Dear wife does use a “no boil” lasagna noodle, that cooks as the lasagna bakes-consistently great, particularly when she makes a “non-traditional“ lasagna, with sliced, sweet ItalIan sausage, sliced zucchinI, sliced yellow squash, fresh mozzarella and ricotta (Lamagna brand).

Big T

For long pastas I love bucatini in cacio e pepe and pappardelle for Bolognese. We use capelini for shrimp dishes.
If Eagle remembers a pizza chain in State College, PA, (both of us are Penn State grads), named “Hiway Pizza”, the owner had a superb Italian restaurant, in the same town, named Mario’s. The place made the best bucatini Bolognese. Alas, they closed several years ago😢.

eagle2250

If Eagle remembers a pizza chain in State College, PA, (both of us are Penn State grads), named “Hiway Pizza”, the owner had a superb Italian restaurant, in the same town, named Mario’s. The place made the best bucatini Bolognese. Alas, they closed several years ago😢.
I ate well during my years in Happy Valley and Hiway Pizza seems to ring a bell, but I'm short on details. Alas, advancing age and memory loss seem to walk hand in hand. LOL! ;)

Big T

I ate well during my years in Happy Valley and Hiway Pizza seems to ring a bell, but I'm short on details. Alas, advancing age and memory loss seem to walk hand in hand. LOL! ;)
My dining was either dining hall or beans on fried potatoes, when I lived in an apartment!
There was a pinball place that was owned by the Hiway Pizza folks, and although I had no money to waste on pinball, the owner would bring pizza in everyday around 5, for all there to eat, for free. We fished and had trout, when in season.

My dining out in SC, was/is taking the kids out!

eagle2250

My dining was either dining hall or beans on fried potatoes, when I lived in an apartment!
There was a pinball place that was owned by the Hiway Pizza folks, and although I had no money to waste on pinball, the owner would bring pizza in everyday around 5, for all there to eat, for free. We fished and had trout, when in season.

My dining out in SC, was/is taking the kids out!
During your years in Happy Valley, did you ever eat at the Boalsburg Steakhouse. I worked as a waiter there during my sophomore year. Great tips on home football weekends, when the Lions prevailed on the gridiron! ;)

Big T

During your years in Happy Valley, did you ever eat at the Boalsburg Steakhouse. I worked as a waiter there during my sophomore year. Great tips on home football weekends, when the Lions prevailed on the gridiron! ;)
Not during my years as a student! Great place, and the name has changed, but for the life of me, I can't recall what it is now, but the food is still good. As a student, it was a treat for me to go to "Pop's Hot Dog Shop" on College Ave. I was even hard pressed to afford going to a football game more than once a season! Still don't understand how so many other students flew to Florida during spring break (yeah, I understand, and though we could afford to, our older girls and our youngest, currently a junior, also do not or did not, travel during breaks).

A chum of mine and I, would drive back to DuBois, to work weekends, for a landscape company. Owner let us work as many hours as we could on Saturdays, and sometimes Sundays. Good thing gas was cheap!

TKI67

Elite Member
The Pennsylvania of my youth was dotted with truly wonderful pizza places and Italian restaurants. We often visited my cousin and aunt and uncle in Indiana, PA, and it was there I discovered how truly great pizza tastes. Nearby but in the countryside as I recall wax a place called Herculani's (no idea how it was spelled, but it was pronounced Air Cue Lay Nees) that had amazing multi-course meals with soup, pasta, veal, beef, or chicken, vegetables, salad, and spumoni. When the bill was presented it came with a bottle of Brioschi.

Big T

The Pennsylvania of my youth was dotted with truly wonderful pizza places and Italian restaurants. We often visited my cousin and aunt and uncle in Indiana, PA, and it was there I discovered how truly great pizza tastes. Nearby but in the countryside as I recall wax a place called Herculani's (no idea how it was spelled, but it was pronounced Air Cue Lay Nees) that had amazing multi-course meals with soup, pasta, veal, beef, or chicken, vegetables, salad, and spumoni. When the bill was presented it came with a bottle of Brioschi.
I was at Herculani's once, with an uncle, and it was simply superb! That had to be two or three decades ago. I don't know if they are still in business, but it was the place to go!

I can't remember the name of the place in Indiana, PA that was an excellent Italian restaurant, something like "The Wine Cellar". Anyhow a friend won several hundred thousand in the PA lottery several decades ago, and with his brother, purchased the place. As far as I know, they still own it (the brother that won the money, just funded it, and his brother, a business major, ran it). Thirty years ago, Indiana was the destination to travel to, from my part of the state, for shopping and the university had a top notch reputation. Shopping is pretty much gone today, and the university let their reputation wane over the past decades, but over the past couple of years, is quickly working to regain it. Just this morning, I had a conversation with a professor, from the school, to provide an intern to my plant for the summer, to assist with workplace safety.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.