• Staff

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
I've tried over the years to cook hot dogs at home, but never have been able to come close to the Costco $1.50 Hot Dog plus Drink! (Costco is an American "Big Box" Membership store with inexpensive prices). I'm not sure they are serving food these days with the Virus.

I got some Oscar Mayer Hot Dogs and then Googled the best way to cook them. There were several suggestions, but I tried steaming them in a fry pan with just some water covering the bottom and then waiting until that water had steamed away. Then throwing in a pat of butter.

Worked great!

TKI67

I love tube steaks! If I am not counting calories, Nathan's. If I am, Ball Park low fat. I like them steamed, grilled, whatever, even (especially) dirty water dogs. My wife like them split and grilled, on lightly toasted buns, vaguely reminiscent of HoJo's grilled frankfurter. So that is usually how we have them. I like spicy brown mustard and onions. I agree with you that Costco dogs are superb.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I never liked hot dogs growing up. I was a hamburger kid. When I got to Frankfurt Germany, I came across originalische Frankfurterwurst. They were just like American dogs! But then a vender at a brew pub in Lakewood handed me one that was either a Nathan's, a Hebrew Nation or a Nick's. It was wonderful. Some day i have to do a head-to-head with those three . . .

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Andy, have you or any of our other members ever experienced Costcos Italian sausage w/ grilled onion and green peppers. Costco's hotdogs taste good and from a pricing perspective, are a whale of a deal, but paraphrasing 'Tony the Tiger,' "they're great!" :amazing:

Dhaller

Advanced Member
We have a local, family-owned producer of fine meats near Atlanta specializing in Polish and Czech meat products (among others) called Patak.

For "hot dogs", I frequently use their "Bohemia Smokes", double-smoked pork & beef sausages (about 1/4 lb each). I'm usually preparing these while camping, so of course each bite is heaven.

I'm a strong believer in mustard and dill relish; probably that hints at my regional origins.

I've long used Andy's suggested method: I put the sausages on a pan with some water, let the water boil off, and then add oil or butter to fry the sausages a bit on the dried pan surface, for that crunchy skin. Or skewer and hold over a campfire; the works too.

Patak has wieners and franks, too, but I'm a "smoked" guy, so I prefer the Bohemians. Mostly Patak is a wholesaler with a small retail outlet at their factory (staffed by strong Polish girls straight out of "Heidi"), but a few things are available online.

https://shop.patakmeats.com/sausages/bohemia-smokies/

DH

Dhaller

Advanced Member
How about chili?
I like a chili dog but I have to admit that objectively, they're pretty disgusting.

The Varsity in Atlanta has one of the nastiest chili dogs ever - you can't even pick the thing up because by the time it's served the bun is disintegrating - yet every time I arm myself with fork and knife and tuck in with relish, like I'm someone who never ate at The French Laundry or Le Bernardin. It's all about comfort, familiarity, and context!

DH

(Whenever I hear people deride foreign or exotic food as "disgusting" - Chinese century eggs, for example - I remind then of how fundamentally repulsive a chili dog is, and how it must look to the uninitiated diner.)

TKI67

How about chili?
Ever had a slaw dog? Bun, dog, stripe or two of yellow mustard, a bit of minced onion, chili, and coleslaw. I have heard it is a West Virginia thing, but I first encountered it at a local chain in Dallas called the Pickle Barrel in 1976. On the counters were small half barrels piled high with 1" thick sliced of half sours, perfect with any sandwich.

Big T

Hot dogs w/sauerkraut and if you like, a stripe of catsup! Was a mainstay at our local high school football games, but never had anywhere else (except occasionally at home).

FiscalDean

Ever had a slaw dog? Bun, dog, stripe or two of yellow mustard, a bit of minced onion, chili, and coleslaw. I have heard it is a West Virginia thing, but I first encountered it at a local chain in Dallas called the Pickle Barrel in 1976. On the counters were small half barrels piled high with 1" thick sliced of half sours, perfect with any sandwich.
I haven't encountered a slaw dog. It does sound rather tasty. I may have to recreate it one of these days.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
I've had slaw dogs, which are fine if the slaw is good (I am quite particular, and slaw is usually too sweet for my taste - I'm more a "vinegar" person.)

We used to have a Scandinavian Festival in Atlanta every year, and it was an opportunity to try All the Dogs (and sausages, and many other things). Danes and Swedes do love them a hot dog.

DH

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.