TKI67

Hebrew National or do you prefer the taste of The Coney Island dog?
Not a huge fan of Hebrew National. I much prefer, among the better known brands, Nathan's, Sabrett's, or even Ball Park or Oscar Mayer. Better still are small, local brands of well spiced dogs with natural casings.

TKI67

I liked that a lot in Deutchland but have never seen it here. Where do you get, or how to you mix up curry ketchup?
I use about two tbsp. of ketchup, a heaping tsp. of Dijon, and about two tsp. of curry powder. I am not, however, precise and varying the amounts is no big deal.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
I liked that a lot in Deutchland but have never seen it here. Where do you get, or how to you mix up curry ketchup?
Ooh, yes... we have a Christkindl Market every year in Atlanta, and a vendor flies in from Berlin and runs a curry stand there for the duration. Sadly, probably not this year!

They serve them with curry-dusted fried potatoes. My daughter (always my date for the day) doesn’t care for them, so I devour a double order by myself.

Another thing I enjoy at Jewish breakfast spots is beef franks cut up and scrambled with eggs. Nothing fancy; just hits the spot.

DH

FiscalDean

Not a huge fan of Hebrew National. I much prefer, among the better known brands, Nathan's, Sabrett's, or even Ball Park or Oscar Mayer. Better still are small, local brands of well spiced dogs with natural casings.
I tend to enjoy the local dogs made by small local butcher shops

FiscalDean

A hot dog without mustard is like...well, you know. However, a brat demands curry ketchup ever since I discovered it!
My wife and I had Brats in Nuerenberg and she commented it tasted like a JohnsonVille. I’ll,our tour guide took exception to that. Anyway, In Germany ketchup ons brat is considered bad form.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I use about two tbsp. of ketchup, a heaping tsp. of Dijon, and about two tsp. of curry powder. I am not, however, precise and varying the amounts is no big deal.
Ah, thanks a bunch. A 'Market of Choice' is only a couple of miles away and they are supposed to carry Feltman's. I think I know what I'm doing Saturday.

Last edited:

TKI67

My wife and I had Brats in Nuerenberg and she commented it tasted like a JohnsonVille. I’ll,our tour guide took exception to that. Anyway, In Germany ketchup ons brat is considered bad form.
I grew up thinking ketchup on a hotdog was bad form, but I have mellowed. Curry ketchup has been good on every sausage I have ever had it on. When you think about onion sauce like they serve with dirty water dogs is sort of a deconstructed ketchup! I have come to like hot dogs in virtually all forms, including Chicago dogs, but my favorite and the one I always have at least one of, has spicy mustard and onion.

Howard

Connoisseur

I love those known brands, they have a meatier flavor.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Would you like chocolate sauce on your hot dog or do you find it a bit nauseating?
My stomach quite literally rolled as I read your post, Howard. However, if you would reserve the chocolate for desert and serve the hotdog as your entre'e, that could work, but you should put some chili on the hotdog. ;)

Big T

Chicago style are tops, however, it is more the allure of having them so infrequently, that makes them so tasty!

Coleslaw is an excellent condiment on all sorts of sandwiches!

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I don't see that Howard's chocolate-dog is any worse than a maple-bacon donut and Portland is famous for those. No, I haven't tried any yet but once the smoke clears and I an go outside again . . .

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
I don't see that Howard's chocolate-dog is any worse than a maple-bacon donut and Portland is famous for those. No, I haven't tried any yet but once the smoke clears and I an go outside again . . .
Oldsarge:
Would that be Voodoo Doughnuts?

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Oldsarge:
Would that be Voodoo Doughnuts?
Yup. But take into account, the founders have sold it off and its now a chain. On one had this makes getting them easier since they just opened a shop near the market I go to. On the other, it's now corporate and the quality of the product depends strongly on how well the local manager/franchisee runs things. We will see--once the smoke clears!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.