Howard

Connoisseur
My stomach quite literally rolled as I read your post, Howard. However, if you would reserve the chocolate for desert and serve the hotdog as your entre'e, that could work, but you should put some chili on the hotdog. ;)

I don't think chocolate and meat work well together in the stomach, maybe some people can handle it.

Howard

Connoisseur
I don't see that Howard's chocolate-dog is any worse than a maple-bacon donut and Portland is famous for those. No, I haven't tried any yet but once the smoke clears and I an go outside again . . .

Hey Sarge, they have doughnuts as burger tops so why not chocolate on a hot dog?

Big T

We have a local butcher that has been trying to produce "peanut butter infused hot dogs" for years. He has spent quite a few dollars on the idea, but has yet to get anyone other than his grandson interested in more than one bite!

Howard

Connoisseur
We have a local butcher that has been trying to produce "peanut butter infused hot dogs" for years. He has spent quite a few dollars on the idea, but has yet to get anyone other than his grandson interested in more than one bite!

That sounds interesting.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Just a thought, but the best way to put peanut butter on a hotdog is to cook the peanut butter into the chili that you intend to put on the dog! LOL. ;)

Big T

Now, an additional story about the local butcher. First he is somewhere between an acquaintance and friend, besides a brother in our lodge. Anyhow, we have a mutual acquaintance, who would be categorized the same way to both of us. All three of us own commercial rental/leased properties in our town. Our mutual friend called me one day and asked if I wanted to look over a piece of property that he and Joe the butcher are considering, and I might want to join in with them in the purchase, as well as a business venture (business ventures with the mutual acquaintance would need a separate thread). Of course, I said.

We met, drove a few miles out of town, to a roughly 14 acre plot, bordering a rail line, more skinny & long, than anything. I mentioned that I couldn't see the attractiveness of the land, and was countered with it having a rail siding, that will be needed for the business venture. Further, we were to meet with Joe, for those details.

We met Joe, at his restaurant (a steak house, and by the quality of the beef, most people would wonder he ever sold anything at his butcher shop). Steve (mutual friend) begin by saying "Joe, lay out our plans". Joe (the peanut hot dog guy) proceeded to say he had a plan to corner the meatball restaurant supply market for western PA. The volume of meatballs he could sell, he was speculating, that we would need to have the meat brought in by refrigerated rail.

I passed on the venture.

eagle2250

Now, an additional story about the local butcher. First he is somewhere between an acquaintance and friend, besides a brother in our lodge. Anyhow, we have a mutual acquaintance, who would be categorized the same way to both of us. All three of us own commercial rental/leased properties in our town. Our mutual friend called me one day and asked if I wanted to look over a piece of property that he and Joe the butcher are considering, and I might want to join in with them in the purchase, as well as a business venture (business ventures with the mutual acquaintance would need a separate thread). Of course, I said.

We met, drove a few miles out of town, to a roughly 14 acre plot, bordering a rail line, more skinny & long, than anything. I mentioned that I couldn't see the attractiveness of the land, and was countered with it having a rail siding, that will be needed for the business venture. Further, we were to meet with Joe, for those details.

We met Joe, at his restaurant (a steak house, and by the quality of the beef, most people would wonder he ever sold anything at his butcher shop). Steve (mutual friend) begin by saying "Joe, lay out our plans". Joe (the peanut hot dog guy) proceeded to say he had a plan to corner the meatball restaurant supply market for western PA. The volume of meatballs he could sell, he was speculating, that we would need to have the meat brought in by refrigerated rail.

I passed on the venture.
That was unarguably a good decision, my friend. However, have you ever added peanut butter to your chili (creamy or chunky...your choice). Our grand kids go nuts over it! LOL. ;)

Big T

That was unarguably a good decision, my friend. However, have you ever added peanut butter to your chili (creamy or chunky...your choice). Our grand kids go nuts over it! LOL. ;)
I may try it, the next dear wife brews up some chili. The other day, she mentioned we have not had Cincinnati style in some time, so I may have to try some!

Now since you're Central PA born & bred, you know of some of the local quirks! About two decades, after the mechanical bull craze in Texas (can't recall the name of the film that sparked it), the craze finally found our region...and died out in a year or two. Butcher Joe also had a bar and he wanted a mechanical bull (he also kept the AC on in the middle of winter, so the place was freezing. When I asked him why, he smiled and said look at all the barmaids). Anyhow Joe found a bull, from the only supplier left, that imported them from Peru. The supplier was a absolutely beautiful Peruvian lady, that was also very shady. Our other chum Steve (the mutual acquaintance), though 70, could never resist a woman smiling at him. Butcher Joe got the big idea instead of buying a bull, he would convince Chum Steve, to become a sub-supplier to the Peruvian lady, which really did not take much talk. Further, Joe told Steve that he could keep a display bull in his bar, to show clients.

Steve fell hook line and sinker for the scheme, paid for the display bull, as well as a fee to the Peruvian lady. Needless to say, the only bull that was sold, was the display model and is still at Joe's bar, leaving Steve for next get rich scheme.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Adding peanuts to meat is a classic African idea and one that works marvelously. One of the greats is Chicken Dobo which cooks the chicken in a stew and then mixes the peanut butter into the stew broth. Part of it goes back in the pot and the rest you pour over steamed greens. It's just super. I have also added peanut butter to beef stew and it increases the umami of the stew significantly. Mixing it into ground meat for meatballs is just the next logical step. I'll give it a try, thanks.

eagle2250

On today's run to the Patrick AFB commissary picked up a large jar of Skippy P/B, extra chunky. Oldsarge has inspired me to do a bit of experimenting, adding it to a number of recipes. I'm pretty sure we have no peanut allergies in the family. I will begin by adding it to a pot of beef stew. ;)

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
On today's run to the Patrick AFB commissary picked up a large jar of Skippy P/B, extra chunky. Oldsarge has inspired me to do a bit of experimenting, adding it to a number of recipes. I'm pretty sure we have no peanut allergies in the family. I will begin by adding it to a pot of beef stew. ;)
You will be glad you did. Heck, do this often enough and you may find yourself on a plane to Africa. If you land in Johannesburg, make sure you stop at the Carnivore restaurant. The original is in Nairobi but Jo-Berg is easier to get to.

Howard

Connoisseur

peanut butter into chili? Are you out of your mind. LOL.

Here's a roll of toilet paper just in case you have gastro problems.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.