Charles Dana

Honors Member
Remember a few years ago when then-President Barack Obama wore a tan suit, and some people, totally irrationally, got bent out of shape over it? Here's a brief article from the New York Times for April 4, 1933 regarding U. S. Senator William Borah’s new look (Borah was the Republican Senator from Idaho from 1907 until his death in 1940):

"Senators Blink as Borah Appears in New Tan Suit

"Senators blinked their eyes in bewilderment today.

"'Is that Borah?' asked one of them, as they converged on the floor at the opening of the session.

"'I believe so,' replied another, 'but I'm not certain.'

"It was Senator Borah, but an almost unrecognizable Borah, since he was attired in a new Spring suit of fairly light tan color. With it he wore a brown four-in-hand tie.

"For many years, Winter and Summer, Senator Borah has worn only midnight blue or black suits, usually with a black bow tie.

"Incidentally, his friends remarked that the brown attire took ten years off his appearance."

Come to think of it, perhaps those who made a fuss when President Obama wore a tan suit were not behaving irrationally after all (well, they were, but their behavior was understandable up to a point). Many of us gradually settle into a signature look—we’ll wear similar items over and over because that’s what we feel the most comfortable in. The look practically becomes our own personal trademark. We see this all the time in the “What are you wearing” threads.

Then when, from out of the blue, someone whom we are used to seeing dressed a customary way shows up dressed a far different way, we are temporarily thrown off kilter. We don’t like abrupt and unexpected changes in what we are accustomed to.

Last edited:

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
And notice, it's all about us and what we're accustomed to. Never mind the chap who decided his life needed a little change. Oh, no! That's not acceptable. The whole world has to conform to what we think.

Why does this drive me up a wall?:pirate::icon_headagainstwall::angry::mad::fool:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
You don't agree, Flanderian?
Nope. If I were to make a generalization concerning a color family that tends to flatter gentlemen of color my experience is that it has been earthtones. But with the observation that there are huge variations in skin tones among all races, so exceptions can abound.

Dhaller

Elite Member
I doesn't have to be! But I take it you favor it. Does that mean I'll have to buy a black suit before I shove off, so that I have something to wear!?
Imagine arriving in the afterlife in a black suit.

I think some kind of garden party get-up, like seersucker and a boater, maybe with a dramatic silk scarf, would wear better. Maybe it's polite to arrive with a bottle of good champagne? Or one hopes! - here's to a festive underworld.

DH

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I'm rather hoping that suitable garb includes tweeds, broghans, a flat cap and a proper double 12 and that the accessories include vintage port and Stilton after a proper roast goose, pheasant, rack of venison, etc. Trout and coddled eggs for breakfast would be nice, as well.

Matt S

Connoisseur
Imagine arriving in the afterlife in a black suit.

I think some kind of garden party get-up, like seersucker and a boater, maybe with a dramatic silk scarf, would wear better. Maybe it's polite to arrive with a bottle of good champagne? Or one hopes! - here's to a festive underworld.

DH
Wouldn't it be better to arrive in the afterlife in a white suit? Like Mr Rourke and Tattoo?

Miket61

Elite Member
I have a black suit I purchased when I believed I would need it for my grandmother’s eventual funeral. I drive a big black Cadillac so if I were to wear it in the evening I would have drunk women tapping on my car window hoping I was an Uber Black driver with no current assignment.

phyrpowr

Honors Member
Somewhere along the line, in this country anyway, black suits became the clothing of "the help", minions and henchmen. The chauffeur and the bodyguard wear the black suit; the boss doesn't.

And not only is it considered to be funereal wear, but it's routinely associated with the funeral director.

I have no major problem with them, but you must be careful on material and cut, as a "cheap looking" black suit looks cheaper than blues, greys, tans, etc.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.