Howard

Connoisseur
I'm pretty sure the mortician or whatever you call them dresses you up or puts on the make-up, Do they do the clothing or just puts the make up on your face? Sorry if this seems a bit weird.

Miket61

Elite Member
I'm pretty sure the mortician or whatever you call them dresses you up or puts on the make-up, Do they do the clothing or just puts the make up on your face? Sorry if this seems a bit weird.
I've been told they usually cut the back of the shirt and coat rather than try to "dress" the person as such. They also don't put on shoes, which was the topic of an episode of the 1960s Marlo Thomas sitcom "That Girl."

Howard

Connoisseur
I've been told they usually cut the back of the shirt and coat rather than try to "dress" the person as such. They also don't put on shoes, which was the topic of an episode of the 1960s Marlo Thomas sitcom "That Girl."

Why not the shoes? You have to be shoeless when being stuffed in a coffin? Sorry if it sounds a bit off-putting.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^I, for one, didn't know that.
What are they going to do with those black military oxfords I have so perfectly spit shined and stored with my USAF Class A uniform, for use on the big day? Reporting in on "Judgement Day," I can't be standing there in my bare or just sock clad feet! LOL. ;)

Miket61

Elite Member
The constant problem is that the deceased behaves in the opposite manner of a squirmy child getting into a winter coat. Once embalmed they aren’t very movable.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
^^I, for one, didn't know that.
What are they going to do with those black military oxfords I have so perfectly spit shined and stored with my USAF Class A uniform, for use on the big day? Reporting in on "Judgement Day," I can't be standing there in my bare or just sock clad feet! LOL. ;)
I think your CO will give you a pass. :pirate:

WA

Honors Member
Have some of you guys departed Christianity for a new religion? The new religion teaches that we can take it with us? If we're going to be ghosts how will these fancy clothes and shoes stay on? Maybe the ghosts games will be scaring the clothes off other ghosts.
Like some other religions take a big lunch.

Mike Petrik

Honors Member
... I was taught that black suits were only for funerals/undertakers by both my parents. The black suit was never something I saw much except on young people who came from somewhere else. Black suits were really only something that people in low-paying jobs wore, and because they had to. Or young people who thought that they looked cool in a black suit.
Agreed on all counts re solid black suits.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
Here's a book I strongly recommend (it has nothing to do with clothes, but has something to do with a couple of the posts in this thread):

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
by Mary Roach. Published in 2003.

The book is a fascinating account of how human cadavers —both legitimately and sometimes non-legitimately obtained—have been used to advance scientific knowledge over the years.

You’ve heard the expression “I’m donating my body to science”? Well, using a light touch and a sprinkling of humor that somehow manages to be tasteful, Mary Roach tells us precisely what happens after you do that. It’s a good read.

(I just reminded myself of something the comedian Steven Wright said: “I’m donating my body to science fiction.”)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals