SG_67

Connoisseur
I’ll post a pic next time, but by far the heartiest and most decadent breakfast I’ve had is from Hash House A-Go-Go.

P.S. just realized the Chicago location has closed. We were last there a little over a year ago. Oh well.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
An egg is cracked into a coffee mug, stirred with a fork and placed in the micro for 30 seconds while a single slice of whole wheat is toasting. Stir again and micro for a full minute, remove, slice toast in half, empty perfectly-scrambled egg on one half, close up and enjoy and if you're doing this at home you can be shirt and shoeless because you've just served yourself. Note no butter or other grease used or needed and no pan to scrape. Around 160 calories. I've done this each morning since they invented the microwave. Before that I slurpped bowls of mush.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I’ll post a pic next time, but by far the heartiest and most decadent breakfast I’ve had is from Hash House A-Go-Go.

P.S. just realized the Chicago location has closed. We were last there a little over a year ago. Oh well.
Paraphrasing a line from the movie Jerry McGuire and a related song by Kenny Chesney, "You had me at that picture of Andy's famous Turkey and Waffles Tower!" Hello! LOL. ;)

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur

Pancakes, eggs and slabs of bacon, juice and coffee.
Howard, usually, I'd want to swap out the pancakes for waffles, but that dish just looks too perfect to mess with. Also, in heaven, sunny-side-up eggs come exactly as shown - crisp at the edges, but with the yokes high up and ready to break and run.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I travel too much to keep chickens but the image of a perfectly fried egg standing tall and round so tempts me that perhaps one day I will break down and get some. Having eggs flatten out al over the griddle because they're from cold storage is really disappointing.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
Have you ever enjoyed duck eggs? The eggs seem somewhat larger and the yolks more richly flavored and stand taller when cooked,:icon_scratch: than chicken eggs. I'm not sure the difference is really worth the premium price paid for the eggs.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
That's what always gets me in trouble on river cruises in Europe. The breakfasts are All-You-Can-Eat buffets . . . and I can eat way too much.
River cruises, with an s, this is something you do on a regular basis? Parden my ignorance, but the words river and cruise in the same sentence are not conjuring up even the suburbs of Nirvana. Aren't rivers for barges, mud, empty milk jugs, dead bodies and, here in Maine (until outlawed) bank-to-bank giant pine logs being current-pushed down stream to the mills?

Come to Maine and I will take you on a river-less cruise through meadows and wood, on foot, with a knapsack breakfast of hard boiled eggs, Lebanon baloney and stream-cooled ale.

Disclosure. I was in Germany once and too nervous and busy looking for gun mounts to notice if there were rivers. There probably are lovely ones all through Europe, you've sailed them I bet, but some, the Somme and the Marne, conjur up visions that would be tough for me to get over. What do you do on a river cruise that you would not be doing on an automobile cruise hugging the bank, except not driving of course? And the eats, to use the non European vernacular.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I like river cruises because I don't like being out of sight of land. As to cruising through the wilderness on foot? Been there, done that--over passes that were 11,000 ft altitude. I like the fact that you get to your hotel and your hotel takes you places. No unpacking/repacking. The meals are 4-5 star, the guides knowledgeable and accomodating. The company is literate and educated. I've done adventure. I've nearly been killed. I'm not looking for repeats. I leave for Brittany, Normandy, the Seine and Bordeaux in October. I shall endeavor not to gain too much weight.

And Andy is a reference. We had a ball.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Some meals are on your own but the furnished ones are great. And you aren't required to eat on ship. Just make sure you're back before departure to the next village/town/city depending on what part of the river you're on.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Some meals are on your own but the furnished ones are great. And you aren't required to eat on ship. Just make sure you're back before departure to the next village/town/city depending on what part of the river you're on.
I'm having difficulty picturing this. Is the craft motorized, or do brawny locals pole it along? And who pays whom to travel this way, you pay them or they pay you? I may be too heavy into Huck Finn with my thinking here.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Depending on the company you go with, the cruise is either comfortable or posh. I'm not into posh. Give me a cruise ship-let with about 100 passengers and a crew to take care of you and i'm content. I don't need a luxurious stateroom because what are you going to do there but sleep and change clothes? Walking tours of river front villages, good food, good wine and good company. Kind of like living in AAAC.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals