Dhaller

Advanced Member
This reminds me of my grandma cooking breakfast for me and my cousins when we were teenagers.

We'd just pile into the kitchen, "morning grandma!" and sit around the table - she'd already been up two hours cooking - and then just tuck in.

My grandparents lived in a converted church, so the kitchen had this massive, ancient cast iron stove with six or eight burners, one of which was always occupied by my grandpa's old dented coffee pot where he would boil coffee almost down to syrup. During holidays when I was a kid that kitchen was alive with four generations of kin, all jabbering away (often about politics - some things never change!)

Oh, to go back!

DH

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
This reminds me of my grandma cooking breakfast for me and my cousins when we were teenagers.

We'd just pile into the kitchen, "morning grandma!" and sit around the table - she'd already been up two hours cooking - and then just tuck in.

My grandparents lived in a converted church, so the kitchen had this massive, ancient cast iron stove with six or eight burners, one of which was always occupied by my grandpa's old dented coffee pot where he would boil coffee almost down to syrup. During holidays when I was a kid that kitchen was alive with four generations of kin, all jabbering away (often about politics - some things never change!)

Oh, to go back!

DH
Great and precious memories, for sure. Thanks for sharing them with us. ;)

Dhaller

Advanced Member
Great and precious memories, for sure. Thanks for sharing them with us. ;)
My cousin found a motherlode of family photos and documents from the past 120 years or so and has been posting them to our family Facebook group (we have a 139 member group), so I've been flooded with recollection and discovery the past few days.

Since this is a clothing forum, check out the swank on my maternal great granddad, George Washington Goines (attached), 1886-1941.
119086408_10224377120444485_2822658622067020966_n.jpg

TKI67

It is the first sort of cool morning of fall here, about 62 F as I write. I am going to celebrate with a boiled egg, homemade whole wheat toast, and marmalade. The marmalade was an experiment, Mackays orange marmalade with Champagne. I wish I had held out for Keiller & Son or Duerr's. This one is a bit too sweet.

fishertw

Advanced Member
Just bought a cast iron griddle top for our gas stove. Also got an egg hoop that contains the makings of an omlette into a 4x6" oval . I've had more fun making pancakes and omlettes in the past six weeks than you can imagine. The ring keeps the eggs from running all over and gives a great shape to turn into a fold. Who knew? we've had the stove for 13 years and never thought to get a griddle top. Old dogs learning new tricks.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
Just bought a cast iron griddle top for our gas stove... Who knew? we've had the stove for 13 years and never thought to get a griddle top.
One of my kitchen design plans either for my next house or for a kitchen remodel is to have a big stove with a griddle top built into an eat-at island ("eat-at?"... you know what I mean, where diners can sit at the island and be served from the stove top), so folks can be served hot right then and there as I say "order up!" and yell at Marge and Donna that they've had a long enough break, get back to work.

But yes, a griddle top is essential if you want to have an actual hot breakfast yourself (I'm the breakfast chef at my house, and without a griddle top you're consigned to preparing breakfast in stages, and by the time you sit down, *yours* is invariably cold!)

DH

TKI67

One of my kitchen design plans either for my next house or for a kitchen remodel is to have a big stove with a griddle top built into an eat-at island ("eat-at?"... you know what I mean, where diners can sit at the island and be served from the stove top), so folks can be served hot right then and there as I say "order up!" and yell at Marge and Donna that they've had a long enough break, get back to work.

But yes, a griddle top is essential if you want to have an actual hot breakfast yourself (I'm the breakfast chef at my house, and without a griddle top you're consigned to preparing breakfast in stages, and by the time you sit down, *yours* is invariably cold!)

DH
I have been a cookware geek as well as a cook for many years. I keep hoping someone will come out with a griddle with at least half an inch of aluminum and a top of stainless steel, about 15" wide and over 20" deep, big enough to cover one full side of a 30"range. Cast iron cooks too unevenly, and the aluminum griddles out there are generally coated in nonstick.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
Every professional griddle I've ever seen was heavy gauge sheet steel. But since I live alone, I'm perfectly happy with what I have.
So you can lean in on it with your full weight to scrape and pry the thing clean after a good bacon session.

That would really be my preference - the only skillets and saucepans I have which are 20+ years old are All-Clad stainless and Lodge cast iron, because I can take a Brillo to the former with no mercy, and the latter, frankly, don't need to be *that* clean (ahem, "seasoned") - but generally the commercially available tops I see are nonstick.

I might be willing to try a "granite" non-stick skillet. I got a non-stick frying pan in Germany which uses a non-PFOA granite coating, and I've been pretty happy with it. Well, until the distant, inevitable day something gets carbonized on it (bane of all non-stainless wares.)

DH

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.