eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
It doesn't make me hungry. Working my way up to bench-pressing my weight does! I hope to have it by the end of January, maybe sooner.
Good luck with your fitness goals! If ever I should achieve my present day weight loss goals, I will be benching my own weight, plus 30 pounds! Jeez Louise, that is indeed a big if! LOL. :crazy:

TKI67

^

...then clutch heart and fall face down on floor.

*Thread should be retitled Start Your Day the Unhealthy Way.
Well, it’s my grandfather’s recipe. He made it past 95. He worked in his garden everyday. He played golf regularly, carrying his bag as God intended.

My doctor, year after year, says my cholesterol levels are excellent. I garden, walk the golf course, work out hard at the YMCA every day, and eat as I want, save for portion control.

TKI67

I travel too much to keep chickens but the image of a perfectly fried egg standing tall and round so tempts me that perhaps one day I will break down and get some. Having eggs flatten out al over the griddle because they're from cold storage is really disappointing.
There’s hope, Sarge. In Austin there has been a proliferation of egg vendors who are obviously feeding and caring for their hens well, as evidenced by tall, almost orange yolks and whites that don’t spread inordinately. Of course they command premium prices, but a friend who keeps chickens did the math on cost per egg. It was comparable. I’m sure Portland has such providers. I first encountered them at the local farmers’ market. I think I’ll go fry one, top it with salsa casera, and serve it with frijoles and a tortilla!

TKI67

^

And I am happy for you, sincerely so. And I will delete you from the list of walking heart-attacks-about-to-happen that I encounter daily in giant masses oozing their way into motorized carts that crawl the aisles of any store that sells stuff by the carton of the kind being extolled in this thread.

Yesterday I approached the drive thru at Taco Bell, reached deep for the $1.29 for a single soft taco, then decided to eat inside for the free WiFi. Taco Bell is often partnered with KFC and at two in the afternoon the large lady ahead of me is ordering something called The Four Piece Combo for $9.99 and I think, is this an abberation, do large people actually lay out ten bucks for a cardboard fulla greased out chicken at two in the afternoon and then I looked around and saw tables full of chompers, large people, some with families of large children all eating things like the four piece combo with biscuits and mashed and gravy and giant tubmblers of carbonated stuff to wash the goo and the crispies down, all at at two in the afternoon. So I took my little buck twenty-nine taco and went back to the truck thinking it's absolutely none of my business what others choose to swill, really, what a nerve I've got to cast judgement upon the big, bigger and biggest among us. And I can remain ethically pure in this matter if I simply choose to cast my eyes elsewhere. After all, I didn't screech back my chair and yell, Okay all you fatties, clear outa here or I'm calling the cops! And for the same reason, after posting here early on the plain but YumYum simple, single slice of whole wheat toast cut in half - no butter - upon which is placed a single, small micro'ed scrambled egg - no butter - then folded, and getting no quotes, yeas or Likes for that, quietly departed the thread, feeling fairly potent revulsion in everything imagined that might follow. And man has it ever. And to your cry of Bring on the omelettes, okay, how about a compromise: leave off the s
My standard order at a Taco Bell is still one basic bean burrito with extra onion, no cheese, and plenty of salsa. The new stuff they keep concocting freaks me out! I’m sure their frijoles are less than healthy, but they certainly are tasty.

Howard

Connoisseur
My problem with French Toast (which I love) is that I never think of it as *breakfast*, so I invariably have breakfast *with* French toast, and thus eat two breakfasts.

Again, hobbitting.

DH

You can eat french toast for anytime whether it be for breakfast lunch or dinner or maybe even a snack at night.

TKI67

and it looks like the egg is in tomato sauce.
Here’s an image of Shakshuka. Eggs poached in tomatoes, spiked with Harissa and whatever else your heart desires. I don’t think it requires a hipster license to make it at home, but one may be required if you order it at a restaurant. It’s easy and delicious.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Many mornings I just roll a whole wheat tortilla around a third of an avocado with lime, feta cheese and Safari Hot Sauce. According to the Health gurus on the 'Net, it's remarkably good for me. It certainly tastes good

Dhaller

Advanced Member
I had a slice of cake for breakfast along with a bowl of Cheerios and a banana.
An Austrian colleague of mine will have a slice of chocolate cake for breakfast.

He's one of those effortlessly fit & slender sorts (even at 56), so perhaps he's on to something.

In the tradition of deciding a single representative of a place can define it, I call that slice "a Vienna breakfast".

DH

Howard

Connoisseur
An Austrian colleague of mine will have a slice of chocolate cake for breakfast.

He's one of those effortlessly fit & slender sorts (even at 56), so perhaps he's on to something.

In the tradition of deciding a single representative of a place can define it, I call that slice "a Vienna breakfast".

DH

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a slice of cake for breakfast, What's your favorite cake for breakfast, Dhaller?

Fading Fast

Connoisseur

DH
I'm with your friend. I've posted all this before, so I'll be brief, I grew up eating cake, cookies, ice-cream, etc. for breakfast.

While I'll still do that occasionally (to be honest, is a piece of cake all that nutritionally different from a cheese danish or jelly filled donut?), I, overall, eat a-bit-more balanced meals now.

And, I'm 55, 6'1" weigh 150lbs, which is what I've been since reaching "full size" right after college.

For me, it's all been about portion control as I eat pretty much whatever I want, but definitely in smaller portions as I've gotten older (and I work out daily). And, as noted, I've improved my diet overall, but still, at least once a week (honestly two or three times), I'll have a piece of cake or cookies for breakfast (or lunch).

Dhaller

Advanced Member
I don't think there's anything wrong with having a slice of cake for breakfast, What's your favorite cake for breakfast, Dhaller?
I'd say for breakfast I'm a coffee cake man, myself.

There's a cafe in my neighborhood - Hodgepodge - which serves what they call a blueberry crumble (and which I would call a blueberry coffee cake). Quite good.

But I grew up on my dad's coffee cake (which I'm sure was some concoction of bisquick, seeing as how this was in the 70s and 80s). Topped with coconut flakes and baked, so the coconut would be toasted. I could eat a whole pan of that.

DH

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.