AaroninOC

Active Member with Corp. Privileges

Tilton

Advanced Member
My father has one chair and one ottoman, purchased some time in the early 70's. I would not call it an investment but it will last a long time. I have little doubt that chair will grace my living room (or man-cave) in another 5 years or so when they decide to move some place warmer.

CuffDaddy

Connoisseur
I think my aunt has one* (in a rather repulsive greyish-greenish blue leather). I always found it comfortable, and my aunt sits in hers a lot. She's had it at least 30 years. Seems to have held up pretty well.

* Or something that looks exactly the same in terms of shape. I've never discussed it with her, nor looked for a label.

AaroninOC

That is a fair point, I should have called it an expense rather than an investment. That said, I hope they will be the last lounge chair I have to purchase.

My father has one chair and one ottoman, purchased some time in the early 70's. I would not call it an investment but it will last a long time. I have little doubt that chair will grace my living room (or man-cave) in another 5 years or so when they decide to move some place warmer.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
When faced with making a similar decision, I went with an Ekorne Stressless Recliner. It may not have the designer street creds of the "Eames Lounge Chair," but you will find nothing that will treat your back more kindly. The Ekorne is my 'go-to' seating in the man cave! ;)

Tilton

Advanced Member
When faced with making a similar decision, I went with an Ekorne Stressless Recliner. It may not have the designer street creds of the "Eames Lounge Chair," but you will find nothing that will treat your back more kindly. The Ekorne is my 'go-to' seating in the man cave! ;)
I have the Ekorne stressless myself (albeit a hand-me-down from my father, bought in the late 70's [I think]) and I find it much more comfortable than the Eames, but the style is certainly not quite the same. Mine is the old version pictured below.

AaroninOC

I will look into that at once, thank you for the feedback!

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
You are quite welcome. I purchased mine about four years back, while in the process of remodeling my study, into the "man-cave" of today! The Ekorne design I purchased was their "Eagle" design (what else!), equipped with a teak wood base and upholstered in a navy hued leather. The chair was originally purchased with a polished teak lap-desk attachment, which was removed after about six months of listening to our adult children telling me how dorky the desk attachment looked. However, in my defense, every one of our grand kids loved that desk attachment! Good luck in your hunt. ;)

Pentheos

Advanced Member
My wife and I were recently given a "Perfect Chair". Also without the designer cred, it is one amazing sitting experience. USA made, as well.

MaxBuck

Advanced Member
I just preordered now. Herman Miller is offering 15% off in there semi-annual sale.
Herman Miller is one of the few manufacturers of furniture about which I'll say, hang the expense, it's worth three times as much to buy Herman.

It's simply the most comfortable, bulletproof stuff on the market. Let us know how the chair works out for you.

jack_jones

Starting Member
What is everyone's thoughts on reproductions? I'm thinking about picking up an eames lounge chair replica from Emfurn. They claim to have the best replica on the market plus shipped for free. I'm debating whether to buy their version or go with Herman Miller's version. I don't have 5k to drop on a chair and it should be illegal for a chair to cost as much as a decent used car!

SG_67

Connoisseur
My wife is in the furniture business and sells the Eames chair. It's certainly an iconic piece but there are a few draw backs:

1) It's damned expensive

2) It's not adjustable. It's one size fits all so think long and hard as to how versatile it will be

Bjorn

What is everyone's thoughts on reproductions? I'm thinking about picking up an eames lounge chair replica from Emfurn. They claim to have the best replica on the market plus shipped for free. I'm debating whether to buy their version or go with Herman Miller's version. I don't have 5k to drop on a chair and it should be illegal for a chair to cost as much as a decent used car!
I'd get some other chair instead then.

B_Wong

I agree that it is outrageously expensive for what it is. I absolutely love the look, and when I have some more money to spend I plan on purchasing a replica. The replicas I have sat in felt 95% as good as the real deal, although there's something to be said about a well worn Brazilian rosewood Eames lounge from the 60s. They just have that amazing broken in look that gets better with age.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.