johnlyndell

Starting Member
I agree that it is outrageously expensive for what it is. I absolutely love the look, and when I have some more money to spend I plan on purchasing a replica. The replicas I have sat in felt 95% as good as the real deal, although there's something to be said about a well worn Brazilian rosewood Eames lounge from the 60s. They just have that amazing broken in look that gets better with age. What more could you ask for?
http://www.manhattanhomedesign.com/eames-lounge-chair-and-ottoman.html

expressingmyself

I agree that it is outrageously expensive for what it is. I absolutely love the look, and when I have some more money to spend I plan on purchasing a replica. The replicas I have sat in felt 95% as good as the real deal, although there's something to be said about a well worn Brazilian rosewood Eames lounge from the 60s. They just have that amazing broken in look that gets better with age. What more could you ask for?
http://www.manhattanhomedesign.com/eames-lounge-chair-and-ottoman.html
What a strange spammer you are.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^Expressingmyself:

Please explain to me how a poster to The Eames Lounge Chair thread, linking to a present day reproduction of an Eames chair design leads to your conclusion of "what a strange spammer you are?"

expressingmyself

^^Expressingmyself:

Please explain to me how a poster to The Eames Lounge Chair thread, linking to a present day reproduction of an Eames chair design leads to your conclusion of "what a strange spammer you are?"
(1) Registered 16 months ago
(2) First and only post revives a thread that had been dormant for 17 months
(3) First and only post includes link to commercial website and item for sale
(4) Location happens to be the same as commercial website

This behavior very much mirrors that of a spam bot (although significantly more patient and sophisticated).

If he is not a spammer, I will be very curious as to what created such a burning desire to seek out a thread on Eames chairs on a clothing discussion forum and use it to make a debut post.

eagle2250

^^Thanks for the reply, expressingmyself.

In the future, should you have concerns regarding a post, use the triangular shaped icon at the bottom of the post to report it. Leveling accusations at another member is not your role. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

expressingmyself

Noted. I will be happy to cooperate going forward. In my defense I think it's quite fair to say one who copies the text of 17 month old post verbatim and appends a generic phrase and a commercial link does not seem to be particularly interested in making meaningful contributions to the AA community, but perhaps I misunderstood the expectations regarding quality of discourse here as the post remains...

TMMKC

Honors Member
It's a lovely looking chair, but I must be the only person in the world who doesn't think Eames lounge chairs are comfortable. My wife bought me one as an anniversary present and it sits in the corner of my home office collecting dust. The ottoman has become a space for piling mail. Though I appreciated the thought, a new set of golf clubs would have been put to better use.

velomane

My chair is a Hancock and Moore wingback recliner. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet. Supremely comfortable and solid as the rock of Gibraltar. Stub your toe on it once, and you'll understand what I mean.

eagle2250

We presently have two Ekornes in our nest...a recliner/ottoman and a loveseat/ottoman. Both see heavy use, but the recliner seems to be the favorite, even with the grand kids. Good luck in your hunt! ;)

TKI67

We presently have two Ekornes in our nest...a recliner/ottoman and a loveseat/ottoman. Both see heavy use, but the recliner seems to be the favorite, even with the grand kids. Good luck in your hunt! ;)
Mary and I are a two Ekornes chair household. We found a great sale. We tried Eames. The Ekornes were simply far more comfortable.

Tim

Miami_Heat

Starting Member
I have had literally 100s of Eames chairs over the years so have sat in pretty much all of their variations. As has been said, the lounge chair isn't actually very comfortable with it's low back - it is also quite fragile too, the vintage chairs in particular suffering from potential shock mount issues (can result in nasty damage!).

The aluminium and soft pad group are a better bet IMO especially for regular use. As has been said the EA 116 is a nice chair, my personal favourite is the EA 222 - the base tilts back and I find the soft pad chairs just have that little more give in the cushion. Someone mentioned above re sourcing ottomans - they aren't easy to come by on the used market but do crop up from time to time. I'd always buy genuine, if you're patient sometimes the odd Vitra chair pops up at a reasonable price - IMO the market for Eames has slowed down quite a lot in the last few days so I wouldn't go paying top dollar. Gone are the days when you had dozens after the same chair!

The Lamino is a nice chair, had a few over the years one of the most iconic chairs to come out of Sweden IMO! Nice AJ lamp too ;) I don't sell much furniture these days, mostly post war art, but happy to give advice on here

I mostly collect Poul Kjaerholm, Arne Jacobsen and Hans Wegner these days. Used to be a big Eames/George Nelson collector but taste have changed.

Last edited by a moderator:

eagle2250

^^Welcome to AAAC and thanks for your perspective. However, you might note that many of the Ekorne recliners claim to provide the lumbar support that even you point out is so essential for a healthy seating platform. I can say for a fact that the two Ekorne seating systems in the Eagle's roost provide excellent lumbar support! Most comfortable seating in the nest. ;)

TKI67

^^Welcome to AAAC and thanks for your perspective. However, you might note that many of the Ekorne recliners claim to provide the lumbar support that even you point out is so essential for a healthy seating platform. I can say for a fact that the two Ekorne seating systems in the Eagle's roost provide excellent lumbar support! Most comfortable seating in the nest. ;)
Another vote heartily endorsing the Ekornes Stressless recliners. My wife had shoulder surgery on 1/4/19 and pretty much lived in hers for over a month. No complaints but many moments of thankfulness and appreciation. We got a silly good deal on ours. Those specials are worth waiting for. The place we got ours also had Eames chairs. So we got to make very good comparisons. It was not close in our assessment. The longer we have them the more we appreciate them.

Elessarcif

I just bit the bullet and bought an eames for my study. I have always loved the look and it will work well in there. I also find it pretty comfortable for a reading chair. Now I just need to find the right side table and lamp. My wife happens to find the chair hideous but as long as it is in my office she doesnt have to look at it *shrug*.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
In general, recliners are very bad for your back. If you are sitting - you are better off sitting completely upright with a lumbar pillow at your lower back (or an in a chair with lumbar support) and both feet planted firmly on the floor. No recliners in my house. My car seat is also completely upright for my lower back - very few people Singh is (most keep it at a slight recline) but it's best for your back/posture. Hope this overview might help you!
It has been well established that sitting, at all, is bad for you. Recliners, being semi-supine, are actually better for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dhaller

Advanced Member
I just bit the bullet and bought an eames for my study. I have always loved the look and it will work well in there. I also find it pretty comfortable for a reading chair. Now I just need to find the right side table and lamp. My wife happens to find the chair hideous but as long as it is in my office she doesnt have to look at it *shrug*.
Advice from a long-time husband: making your study "hideous" or otherwise undesirable to enter or spend time in is an honored tradition!

DH

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.