TMMKC

Honors Member
I just bit the bullet and bought an eames for my study. I have always loved the look and it will work well in there. I also find it pretty comfortable for a reading chair. Now I just need to find the right side table and lamp. My wife happens to find the chair hideous but as long as it is in my office she doesnt have to look at it *shrug*.
My wife surprised me with one a couple years ago for our anniversary. I was looking for a new, comfortable reading/TV chair for my office and initially liked the looks of the Eames lounge chairs, until I sat in one. I must be one of the only people who doesn't think they're all that comfortable.

Anyway, I probably should have told her (at some point BEFORE our anniversary) that I had changed my mind! Oops. On the rare occasion she actually spends any time in my office, she likes to sit in it and thinks it's comfortable. Most of the time the ottoman becomes a repository for mail and stacks of magazines (that I read at my desk). It's a very nice looking chair, though. I appreciated the thought, but another watch or a new set of golf clubs would have been put to better use. LOL.

SG_67

Connoisseur
My wife surprised me with one a couple years ago for our anniversary. I was looking for a new, comfortable reading/TV chair for my office and initially liked the looks of the Eames lounge chairs, until I sat in one. I must be one of the only people who doesn't think they're all that comfortable.

Anyway, I probably should have told her (at some point BEFORE our anniversary) that I had changed my mind! Oops. On the rare occasion she actually spends any time in my office, she likes to sit in it and thinks it's comfortable. Most of the time the ottoman becomes a repository for mail and stacks of magazines (that I read at my desk). It's a very nice looking chair, though. I appreciated the thought, but another watch or a new set of golf clubs would have been put to better use. LOL.
You’re not the only one. I’ve sat in one before in the showroom and I was struck by its complete inability to be adjusted. Unless you are of a certain frame that fits the Eames, it’s not a practical chair.

It certainly is eye candy though!

TMMKC

Honors Member
You’re not the only one. I’ve sat in one before in the showroom and I was struck by its complete inability to be adjusted. Unless you are of a certain frame that fits the Eames, it’s not a practical chair.

It certainly is eye candy though!
Frankly...it is such an iconic, great design that I suspect many people convince themselves it's comfortable. I am a normal-sized guy, a little under six feet, and not big by any stretch. I don't like the fact I can't rest my head (the back doesn't come up high enough), the arms are too low to comfortably rest my elbows for reading...plus the angle of the chair makes my lower back and bum ache after 15-20 minutes. Like most mid-century furniture, it's best to be looked at than sat on.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Our favorite local furniture vendor, who carries Ekorne Stressless furniture, has a new recliner design on display that has set my procurement chimes a ringing, leaving me more than ready to add to my collection. But alas, the medium sized version was priced at $3895 and the larger (my size) version was $4295. In my accounting ledger, that's a whole lot of money for a chair...maybe a bit too much!

TKI67

Our favorite local furniture vendor, who carries Ekorne Stressless furniture, has a new recliner design on display that has set my procurement chimes a ringing, leaving me more than ready to add to my collection. But alas, the medium sized version was priced at $3895 and the larger (my size) version was $4295. In my accounting ledger, that's a whole lot of money for a chair...maybe a bit too much!
That certainly does seem a bit too much, especially given I was able to snag Stressless on sale last year for about $1200. The other one I love is the Zero Gravity. They also make a lawn chair version of the Zero Gravity that is readily available for $50 or less. Yesterday it was 80F in Austin. I had just finished power washing and resealing our deck. The cedar elms above were spring green with new leaves. I plunked myself down in one of the Zero Gravity chairs, my son in law in the one beside me. My wife came out, and I said, “Care to join us in Nirvana?” In the realm of things other than other people, I put a good chair right up there with a good day, a dog, and a good book as the very best company.

Elessarcif

That certainly does seem a bit too much, especially given I was able to snag Stressless on sale last year for about $1200. The other one I love is the Zero Gravity. They also make a lawn chair version of the Zero Gravity that is readily available for $50 or less. Yesterday it was 80F in Austin. I had just finished power washing and resealing our deck. The cedar elms above were spring green with new leaves. I plunked myself down in one of the Zero Gravity chairs, my son in law in the one beside me. My wife came out, and I said, “Care to join us in Nirvana?” In the realm of things other than other people, I put a good chair right up there with a good day, a dog, and a good book as the very best company.
Add in a great scotch or negroni and I could not agree more.

Nikola 85

Starting Member
The Eames was designed in an era when folks were shorter. The newest version now comes in a larger size and it . . . makes me not want to get up until at least 9:00 pm . . . next Tuesday.
That was a huge issue for me. I am 6.4 and to me, it looks like it would not fit at all. So, finding a company that offers a higher version was fantastic. I had an old original one and this has all the quality. The only difference is a bit of squeaking noise that leather makes. The store is called Bespoek. I am sure that you can find other as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

TKI67

I would imagine CITES affects the prices on old Brazilian Eames chairs the same way it affects Brazilian wood guitars. My old D-28, bought for $275, would fetch about $7000 today, entry level for a dreadnaught with Brazilian back and sides. I have an old, probably circa 1890, Brazilian table. I called Collings about having it made into a guitar. They would not touch it due to CITES concerns. So it is still a table, and I am very happily playing a mahogany guitar.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.