The Gawd-I'm-Old Nostalgia Thread

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Through the years I've had many pieces of fine stereo equipment. Thorens was unattainable to me in that era. I should have saved for it, instead of going through several Pioneer and Technics, with the total in the Thorens range. Finally settled on a Phillips (112, IIRC), very nicely engineered, with performance exceeding published specs.

LOL, my high fidelity purchases topped out at Pioneer components, as well. Way back in the late 1960's and early 1970's that;s what my wallet could handle at the time. By the time I could afford better, realizing my ears just didn't qualify me as much of an audiophile, I had learned to love the systems that were affordable and convenient to use. Today, for my listening pleasure, I depend on a series of Bose Wave Radios/CD players and a who house sound system that came with the nest we bought to reside in, consisting of 16 speakers set into the ceiling throughout the house, all run by a Novo control head and touch pad control panels located in each room of the house, plus one on the front porch and one on the Lanai (back porch, I guess?). Not the highest tech stuff available, but truth be known, my ears really can't tell the difference! LOL :(;)

Last edited:

Big T

LOL, my high fidelity purchases topped out at Pioneer components, as well. Way back in the late 1960's and early 1970's that;s what my wallet could handle at the time. By the time I could afford better, realizing my ears just didn't qualify me as much of an audiophile, I had learned to love the systems that were affordable and convenient to use. Today, for my listening pleasure, I depend on a series of Bose Wave Radios/CD players and a who house sound system that came with the nest we bought to reside in, consisting of 16 speakers set into the ceiling throughout the house, all run by a Novo control head and touch pad control panels located in each room of the house, plus one on the front porch and one on the Lanai (back porch, I guess?). Not the highest tech stuff available, but truth be known, my ears really can't tell the difference! LOL :(;)
I have recently (over past 2 or 3 years) picked up some Chinese tube equipment. Very, very nice warm sound, and very affordable pricing. What is humorous, is the old console stereos that our parents had in the last 50's, 60's and some 70's, are now (some are) desirable, for the speakers and to a lesser extent, the amps. Who new?

My ears are the same-too much loud music, guns, and who knows what else, when I was young and foolish!

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
tumblr_fd425702c0cb73b11e754782eabe135c_f1c0efa5_640.jpg

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
I just read a fascinating little junk piece on forty things Boomers refuse to give up. Although I only hang onto a very few of them myself (cursive, for one), it made me feel not just old but jettisoned.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.