eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
The year was 1975 and three of us young lions from Vandenberg AFB, CA, ventured forth on a chilly Saturday to visit one of those pristine California beaches to learn how to surf. We actually paid a native Californian (all Californians know how to surf, don't they?) to give us lessons, but I gotta tell you...he didn't prove to be much of an instructor, IMHO. I spent the next two to three hours learning to surf, but really accomplishing not much more than falling off the board every time I tried to stand up. I spent most of my time trying to avoid drowning and eventually turning blue from the cold water. A bucket of steaming coffee and perhaps a dozen or so of those donuts would have been a grand feast that day. Later that year (I think it was) I saw Jaws, the movie, and have never had the urge to try surfing a second time! LOL. ;) Thank you, Oldsarger, for the memory!

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
What many forget is that the sea off California is a current that swings south from the Gulf of Alaska. All those pictures of winsome babes in bikinis diving across coral reefs and white sand bottoms are in the Caribbean. Surfing in Cali is 5-7mm wet suit country. And Vandenburg, in my short experience, is one cold place to begin with. I'm surprised you didn't succumb to hypothermia.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
What many forget is that the sea off California is a current that swings south from the Gulf of Alaska. All those pictures of winsome babes in bikinis diving across coral reefs and white sand bottoms are in the Caribbean. Surfing in Cali is 5-7mm wet suit country. And Vandenburg, in my short experience, is one cold place to begin with. I'm surprised you didn't succumb to hypothermia.
There was a lot of shivering and chattering of teeth going on that day and all of us did seem to be turning unhealthy shades of blue. I would not bet against the reality that we all were somewhat hypothermic. However, we were all back in class the following Monday morning. LOL. :cold:

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
There was a lot of shivering and chattering of teeth going on that day and all of us did seem to be turning unhealthy shades of blue. I would not bet against the reality that we all were somewhat hypothermic. However, we were all back in class the following Monday morning. LOL. :cold:
Ah, to be young and fit!

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
The vacuum pot was my mother's standby and for years you simply couldn't get one. Then one appeared on the market but it was all glass. You can imagine how durable that was! Now I see that Kitchen-Aid is making one with all the fragile parts in stainless steel! This is wonderful, sort of retro-smart. However, living alone and only drinking about two cups a day, there isn't any justification for getting one. Drat.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.