FiscalDean

Well then, you clearly didn't grow up in the, um, er, less-refined parts of NJ, as oversized and over-sweetened frozen fruit (and sometimes soda) drinks are right-of-passage for bored (pre-internet) kids with all but no pocket money hanging out with their friends outside a shabby looking 7-11. As you got older, adding vodka or whatever cheap booze you could find was also a thing (so I was told). :)

I have to confess, I've led a rather sheltered life. It took me 65 years to make my one and only NJ visit and then it was just to pick up a car for my wife. I flew into Newark on a Sunday night and went straight to my hotel. Monday morning, the salesman I was dealing with picked me up and drove me to Freehold to finalize the transaction. A couple of feet of snow was in the forecast, so I started the long drive home to northern WI as soon as possible.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I have to confess, I've led a rather sheltered life. It took me 65 years to make my one and only NJ visit and then it was just to pick up a car for my wife. I flew into Newark on a Sunday night and went straight to my hotel. Monday morning, the salesman I was dealing with picked me up and drove me to Freehold to finalize the transaction. A couple of feet of snow was in the forecast, so I started the long drive home to northern WI as soon as possible.
Then you drove past my old town, New Brunswick, and many 7-11s. More interestingly though, that doesn't sound like an average car you were picking up, but more like one that might belong in the "Vintage Car" thread?

FiscalDean

Then you drove past my old town, New Brunswick, and many 7-11s. More interestingly though, that doesn't sound like an average car you were picking up, but more like one that might belong in the "Vintage Car" thread?

To be honest, I was a man on a mission so I didn't take note of much other than driving on unfamiliar roads.

It will be quite some time before my wife's car will be considered vintage. It's just a pre-owned Audi but she had very specific requirements in terms of model, mileage and most importantly (in her mind) the exterior color and the color of the leather. A nationwide search turned up two vehicles that met her requirements; on in Seattle and the other in Freehold.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
........but, on to the important details, did you beat the predicted snowfall and if not, did you just say "FIDO" and keep trucking to Wisconsin or have to stop? ;)

TKI67

On the subject of contemplating libations, we have recently discovered Fevertree tonic. They make several. One is only 30 calories and has no artificial sweeteners! With a wedge of lime squeezed into it and a scant jigger of Beefeater it both refreshes and relaxes, ideal for moving on to the contemplation of cooking, which last night was an onion pie and a mixed salad.

Last edited:

FiscalDean

........but, on to the important details, did you beat the predicted snowfall and if not, did you just say "FIDO" and keep trucking to Wisconsin or have to stop? ;)

I started seeing some flurries in PA and by the time I got to Ohio, there was some serious snow coming down. I had a room reservation in Elyria, OH for that evening. I got in about 4 hours after I had originally planned. The good news, my wife's car has all wheel drive so I felt safe driving in the near blizzard conditions. I thought it was interesting, PA had snow plows out and waiting for the action to begin well ahead of the time the snow fall was predicted to start.

FiscalDean

To bring this back to the subject at hand, I had planned to go out for a cocktail and a nice dinner upon arrival in Elyria. When I checked in, the only option available was the local convenience store for some beer and a pre-packaged sandwich. At least the beer was good.
1598359667754.png

Howard

Connoisseur
Well then, you clearly didn't grow up in the, um, er, less-refined parts of NJ, as oversized and over-sweetened frozen fruit (and sometimes soda) drinks are right-of-passage for bored (pre-internet) kids with all but no pocket money hanging out with their friends outside a shabby looking 7-11. As you got older, adding vodka or whatever cheap booze you could find was also a thing (so I was told). :)

What was your flavor Slurpee, Fading? I always liked The Coke Slurpee. :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.