TKI67

I generally dislike Chardonnay, but the Chardonnay from the Willamette Valley tastes more like white Burgundy than like the California take of "Ew! What is that WEIRD taste?!?" Had a Stoller from the Dundee hills last night. Highly recommended.

Big T

Yabbut nothing ever mayched the first sip of wine over fifty years ago. Seem to remember it being either Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill, or was it Virginia Dare? Nah, probably MD-2020.

FiscalDean

Yabbut nothing ever mayched the first sip of wine over fifty years ago. Seem to remember it being either Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill, or was it Virginia Dare? Nah, probably MD-2020.
It's good you can remember your first time. I don't recall my first encounter with any sort of libation. When I was growing up, my parents owned a country store. They operated a bar on one side and sold groceries, etc. on the other side. I've been told that once when I was 2, my dad was in the grocery store and my mother was in the basement doing laundry, I went into the bar and opened every bottle in a case of beer and took a sip out of each one. Rumor has it, I fell off the back porch but I really can't confirm or deny that.

Big T

It's good you can remember your first time. I don't recall my first encounter with any sort of libation. When I was growing up, my parents owned a country store. They operated a bar on one side and sold groceries, etc. on the other side. I've been told that once when I was 2, my dad was in the grocery store and my mother was in the basement doing laundry, I went into the bar and opened every bottle in a case of beer and took a sip out of each one. Rumor has it, I fell off the back porch but I really can't confirm or deny that.
When I was 13 or 14, we had a cabin (shack) in the woods. We were able to find a guy to buy us a 12 pack of Schmidts Beer (Philadelphia based). Several of us stayed drunk for a week of that 12 pack!

TKI67

I have fond memories of tasting martinis. I was two. Just had two!

fishertw

Advanced Member
Today it will either be Laphroaig 10 yr or Woodford Reserve. Waiting for the tail end of (hopefully) the last hurricane of the year to pass over western NC tonight into tomorrow and prepping for Nov 3.

TKI67

I am nursing an Evan Williams bottled in bond old fashioned while water comes to a boil. Once it boils I'll plunge in egg noodles, reheat coq au vin leftovers, mince a little parsley, dine, and collapse in front of the television. So a bottle of decent but inexpensive bourbon is the clear highlight of my evening! Ah, contemplation.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I am not a bourbon connoisseur so I doubt that my impression is knowledgeable enough that someone should pay much attention to it. That being said, the Bulleit bourbon I tasted didn't excite me. I found a bit raw and in need of just a touch more sweetness. But then, my favorite is Woodford Reserve so take that as my base and decide from there.

fishertw

Advanced Member
I am not a bourbon connoisseur so I doubt that my impression is knowledgeable enough that someone should pay much attention to it. That being said, the Bulleit bourbon I tasted didn't excite me. I found a bit raw and in need of just a touch more sweetness. But then, my favorite is Woodford Reserve so take that as my base and decide from there.
I'm a Woodford Reserve guy as well. Also like ALL Islay single malts.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Speaking of Woodford Reserve, could either of you guys comment on the taste differences between their Distillers Select and their Double Oaked offerings? With both in my inventory, frankly, I cannot taste much of a difference. Perhaps my taste buds are insufficiently sensitized to properly appreciate the added qualities of the Double Oaked blend. ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.