Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
No matter how great a drink it is, if it is not made of gin and dry vermouth, it is not a martini! .
Excepting a single beer each summer on the hottest day of that season, predicted by NOAA and usually correct, have not had a drop in over thirty years, having consumed my allowed life-allotment by the time I was 30, but back in the drinking days (sometimes spelled daze) an old bar keep in upper Manhattan told me how to make a truly, truly dry martini: fill the glass to the very tippy top with gin, lean over it an whisper "vermouth".

TKI67

Elite Member
Excepting a single beer each summer on the hottest day of that season, predicted by NOAA and usually correct, have not had a drop in over thirty years, having consumed my allowed life-allotment by the time I was 30, but back in the drinking days (sometimes spelled daze) an old bar keep in upper Manhattan told me how to make a truly, truly dry martini: fill the glass to the very tippy top with gin, lean over it an whisper "vermouth".
I had never heard that one, but the list of various riffs is long. Use an eye dropper. Open the vermouth, briefly, in the other room. Rinse the glass with vermouth and pour it out. Store the gin and the vermouth next to each other, but use only the gin. I like frozen gin in a glass ok, but I prefer a martini. I make 'em 3:1, cold but not so cold you cannot taste the subtleties. I am ok with olives, just not with a dribble of brine.

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I had never heard that one, but the list of various riffs is long. Use an eye dropper. Open the vermouth, briefly, in the other room. Rinse the glass with vermouth and pour it out. Store the gin and the vermouth next to each other, but use only the gin. I like frozen gin in a glass ok, but I prefer a martini. I make 'em 3:1, cold but not so cold you cannot taste the subtleties. I am ok with olives, just not with a dribble of brine.
Never been big on gin or gin martinis. However, for years I had my version of a vodka martini-fill a large martini glass with vodka while skipping the vermouth part. :D Learned I liked that version better than with vermouth. Used to keep the vodka in the freezer. Haven't drank vodka in probably 10 years now, though.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange